Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206462 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #800 on: July 26, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
What are you going to do with them all??

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »
The (possibly) final total is 107 babies moved to another tank.

Wow!  :yikes:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #802 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:37 AM »
The final, final count was 111 babies.
By the looks of them it's pretty much a 50:50 split of standard colour, same as Harri (mummy fish), and yellow with dark eyes, like Bertie. Shame it's too soon to tell if all the boys are yellow and all the girls dark, and I'm not completely on top of my BN genetics, so can't guess.
MA have said they will take them, but that was when the fish laid the first batch of eggs. I can't imagine the store won't take them all, but there are another 3 stores that I go to, so I could always take some to each.

Offline Sue

« Reply #803 on: July 26, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
That's how I felt after emptying my 50 litre tank full of shrimps. But that was only 50 litres....

Offline Sue

« Reply #804 on: July 26, 2017, 03:47:53 PM »
I had a JBL air pump running the sponge filter in my betta's tank but it was quite noisy and the tubing coming out of the pump had turned dark brown. So I bought an Eheim air pump to replace it.
Wow, is it quiet! I have to listen for the humming now.

And a couple of weeks ago I replaced the water sprite in the betta's tank. It doesn't do well in there, presumably not enough nitrate/ammonia with just one fish and a snail, but as the water sprite in the 180 litre needs thinning out regularly it isn't a problem. As I was setting up the new air pump, I spotted another rice fish fry, which must have come from an egg on the water sprite. I know it isn't good to have just one fry on its own but it will get eaten pretty quickly if I move it to the main tank.
I'd better get the fry food out of the cupboard.

I'm not sure the betta can see these fry as he does have trouble finding his food from more than half an inch away. Either that or he is too old to bother chasing them - I got him in March 2015.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #805 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
Congratulations on your extra fry @Sue   :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #806 on: July 26, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
4 fry last time, 1 this time doesn't really compete with 111 bn fry  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #807 on: July 26, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
It's all relative. BNs are prolific breeders, and their eggs are so huge there is no way anything else in that tank could eat them. Rice fish on the other hand....far more tricky to keep happy enough to breed, and for the eggs & fry to survive.   ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #808 on: July 28, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
I have been studying my rasboras after reading something on line. I think I have Trigonostigma espei not T. hengeli.
The shop had three separate tanks labelled harlequin rasboras, hengel's rasboras and espe's rasboras. I wanted 15 and there weren't enough harlies or espe's rasboras so I got them from the tank labelled hengel's rasboras.
Mine are definitely not harlequins because the black mark is not nearly big enough. But they are all over light orange and there is no orange line above the black mark, which is why I think I might have T. espei.

I need an expert in fish ID  :-\

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #809 on: July 28, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
Definitely matches the description of Espei Rasboras.

IMHO the prettiest of the 3 breeds.  I was hoping to put some in my collection at some point, but now I know a bit more about the hobby, my pH is just a bit too high.

Offline Sue

« Reply #810 on: July 28, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
And looking at them again after the lights came on, they have orange in their dorsal fins like espeis. Mine have orange eye rings and none of the photos of hengels do.

I think I'll change my signature until I can prove they are hengels. it is always possible that the tanks were mislabelled at the shop. The Trigonostigmas of all threes species were very small.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #811 on: July 31, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
I've just witnessed one of my female panda cories eating a small pest snail. I've never seen that happen before, the cories usually ignore the snails, which get harvested for the puffer tank.
She didn't have the same level of attack/suction power as the dwarf puffers, and didn't completely empty the shell (will have to pull out the remains with the long forceps), but she seemed to feel that the snack was worth the effort.
Well done young lady, keep up the good work.

Offline Sue

« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
I am desperate to do a water change. My poor fish haven't had any clean water for 11 days.

I did something to my back last Friday morning, the day I was supposed to do the water changes. I haven't been able to stand up straight since then. I can't ask my husband to siphon the water out as not only would he refuse to put his hands in the tanks but he would probably suck up all the sand and half the fish as he's never done it before.
The pain isn't nearly so bad this morning and I can almost straighten up so hopefully I'll be able to do the water changes in the next day or two.

But we do have a recliner chair so I can still sit here and use my laptop  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #813 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
@Sue, I think your husband needs to be taught some siphoning skills, practising with a bucket and a spare fishless tank/container, so that he's able to do this either now or later down the line on any occasion when you might not be able to.

My nerite snail has vanished for the past 79 hours - no sign of any snail poo either which is usually an indicator of his whereabouts. The tank rim and lid has been checked. All decor and plants have been removed, checked and replaced, to no avail. I have a gut feeling that he's escaped through the cable holes although I'm not panicking just yet, in case he's been hibernating under the thin layer of substrate even although there's been no sign of it moving.

As for my plants, my delivery of just over a week ago was dead within the week - only 1/4 plants was semi-surviving by the end of the week. I wasn't able to get to the LFS, hence the online delivery, but I think I'll stick to the LFS from now on as I seem to have better luck with theirs! Failing that, I'll be reverting to silk plants once again.

Offline Sue

« Reply #814 on: August 07, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
Nerite snails are extremely good at hiding. If you remember back a couple of years, I needed to treat the tank and despite taking everything out of the tank I failed to find one of the snails so it had to take its chance with the med. It reappeared a couple of days later.

I finally did a water change after 13 days, and I'll do another one tomorrow which is less than a week after the last one. I've suffered back problems for 30 years so I know they don't last very long. They just hurt for several days. Almost every time I've done it by twisting, in this case by twisting round to get something out of the back seat of the car. You'd think I'd have learned by now  :-\

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #815 on: August 08, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
After finding that the panda cories had been breeding, followed by the BNs, I've had another surprise today.
I was cleaning the dwarf puffer tank, and to cut a long story short, I've set up a quarantine tank for the 3 baby dwarf puffers I rescued from the dirty water bucket.  :o
They are tiny, so I don't know if they will survive, but we'll see what happens.

Offline Sue

« Reply #816 on: August 08, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
I've said it before, but the way your fish behave you'll soon be able to supply shops in your area  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #817 on: August 08, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm considering having a very stern chat with the gang, just to get them to take a bit more responsibility for their actions. Perhaps they will then understand that I'm running out of quarantine tanks, and the time to have a life.  :))

Offline fcmf

« Reply #818 on: August 08, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »
Nerite snails are extremely good at hiding.
Yes - he re-appeared very briefly within the hour of me writing that he'd been missing for 79 hours but vanished again shortly thereafter.

I was cleaning the dwarf puffer tank, and to cut a long story short, I've set up a quarantine tank for the 3 baby dwarf puffers I rescued from the dirty water bucket.  :o They are tiny, so I don't know if they will survive, but we'll see what happens.
They sound adorable; what sort of size are they? Fingers crossed that they survive and that we get to see some pics.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #819 on: August 08, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »
Glad to hear that your snail has reappeared, if only briefly.

The dwarf puffer babies are tiny, tiny, tiny. Around 2-3mm. I had to get the magnifying glass to check what they were.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: