Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207644 times) 1923 replies

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #780 on: June 26, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
You'll be able to start your own shop if they carry on like this  ;D

I think she has more tanks than my village FS so why not?  :))

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #781 on: June 26, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »
Awww cute  :wave:

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #782 on: June 30, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
Something I haven't warned you about nerites. If they fall on their backs, they can't always turn over and the fish can pick at their bodies. It is up to us to turn them over. I use a long stick so I don't have to submerge my arm to the shoulder.
Thanks for this warning, @Sue - the first instance of this has just occurred. I took a peer in to the tank to say goodnight to the gang before lights off, when I found him beside the driftwood he'd been crawling up 5 minutes beforehand - on the substrate on his back and struggling to get himself the right way round. Thankfully, I managed to rescue him - 5 minutes later and I would never have noticed as it would have been darkness in the tank.

Wow, @Littlefish - I missed this exciting development. Keep us posted on your brood.  :fishy1:

Offline glitch74

• Fishy Member
« Reply #783 on: July 01, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
I've been trying to get my fish to try blanched veg for a while now, started trying once I put ottos in the tank, I've tried spinnach, lettuce, cucumber and courgette with no success. Today I tried peas and my fish went mad for it, all except the ottos.

Offline Sue

« Reply #784 on: July 01, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
Otos can be very picky. Some people report success with sushi nori, if you can put up with the mess.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #785 on: July 03, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
The panda cories are still laying eggs and I think I've spotted another couple of little ones.
I think I've just worked out how they are surviving in that tank (not heavily planted). I made a tree out of whatever branched piece of wood it is, trimmed pads of filter sponge, and willow moss. It's been under high light to grow the moss, and I was looking at it this evening, wondering if it would be safe to trim the moss to encourage growth. Without shame a couple of pandas swam in front of me and started to lay eggs in the moss. There are even a couple of eggs stuck to the glass by the moss pad. I think this is making it difficult for the other fish to eat the eggs, causing more to hatch.
Taking the "tree" out will cause too much disruption, but I hope they stop soon, before the tank becomes too full.
 ::)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #786 on: July 08, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »
Busy, busy, busy.  Moved the L397 to the refugium of the Amazon tank to keep an eye on them and see if they'll breed.  Forktail Blue Eye are finally in the Papua New Guinea tank and have had fry.  White Cloud Mountain Minnows have had fry.  Small snail packets all over the quarantine tank.   The quarantine tank now has Silver Tipped Tetra in it which will be the final addition to the Amazon tank instead of Lemon Tetra.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #787 on: July 12, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Nerite snail was hanging off filter outlet, with what looked like his entire flesh being sucked out/buffeted by the water output. I was just about to take a photo of him to post on here to ask for advice when he fell off backwards and landed on his shell. I waited to see if he could rectify himself but it looked as though half of his underside was a gaping hole while the other half was flesh. No idea what this means but I've put him upright and will just have to hope he's alive in the morning...  :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »
@marquismirage your fish have been very busy.  ;)  :cheers:
I hope that all the fish & babies are still doing well.

@fcmf how is your snail this morning?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
@fcmf how is your snail this morning?
Found eventually, thanks - alive and sleeping on a piece of bamboo stick.   :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #790 on: July 16, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
Nerite snail is not only an acrobat (cf catapulting backwards from the filter outlet a few days ago and heading towards there again late last night before I went to bed) but now an escape artist (despite water quality being at 0, 0, 10-20 for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate consistently). Going to have to keep a very close eye on him and make more use of filter wool to block up cable holes.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #791 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
Long time no post... but I have been lurking to keep up on any fishy goings on.
A couple of things I would like to raise, brown water from the taps - horrid and smells 'a bit of pond' in large quantities, this has been going on intermittently for several years but over the last two months it became a real issue, see the bath pic. We obviously stopped drinking the water and used a carbon filter once it cleared. The reply from the water company was quite prompt and an inspector was due to come and have a look at the end of the week, didn't turn up but rang and explained that it is deposits in the aging iron pipes getting disturbed, not to worry and promised to start a maintenance program of monthly flushed from the nearest standpipe
So its now six weeks later and the second picture is what I was able to recover from the filter I keep in the water aging (conditioning) wheels bin, its 240 litre and picture is after 1 1/2 fills so say 350litres and I didn't manage to collect all the sediment. So back to the water company and explained that my water coming out of the fish tanks is cleaner than the water going in, not happy. They say they will start a 2 weekly flush and see how it goes. I'm starting to think that I will fit a a three stage mechanical filter to the inlet - the fridge has a carbon filter for drinking water. I have relatives in Tunbridge wells and the water there was a Victorian attraction because it comes from iron rich sandstones it smells and tastes of iron. Maybe i should start bottling this muck as still Iron Bru?
In the tanks... I have a Amazon sword that has put up three 1m spikes they are well above the water level and I thought they might be about to flower but it seems they are runners and little sword-lets (or should it be knives or daggers?) Anybody seen this and do they ever flower?

Offline Sue

« Reply #792 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
All I can say is  :sick: Have the fish suffered from this water?

If you can get someone to visit I would offer them a glass of water and see if they refuse to drink it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #793 on: July 17, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
That water looks nasty.  :sick:
It's bad enough when this sort of thing happens and you just have to deal with drinking & general water use, but with the extra stress of keeping your fish tanks in good condition it must be a bit of a nightmare.

As for your plants, I've had amazon swords with similar runners/plantlets. I have made the mistake of cutting the runner before the plants were big enough previously, so the two I have in my plant storage tank are being left alone to grow. I have had something "flower" in the dwarf puffer tank before. I'll have a look through my previous pics to see what it was.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #794 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »
@Sue Offer them a drink I like it! Wasn't there a politician that offered to feed beef to his daughter during the BSE problem.
@Littlefish I expect the runners need to stay submerged if theses are just runners?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #795 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
The first picture is the runners on the amazon swords in my plant storage tank at the moment. The runners go up toward the light, and the roots remain submerged even if the leaves break the surface.
The second picture is from the dwarf puffer tank, I think it was last year, but can't remember. I'm fairly certain it was from one of the amazon swords. As you can see, the runner doesn't have any leaves, and was quite long (more than 50cm). I had no idea what it was, but it was nice to see something like that in the tank.  :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #796 on: July 17, 2017, 07:24:47 PM »
@Andy the minion My helanthium quadricostatus (aka echinodorus quadricostatus) has done the same with runners.  It's growing so fast and at a maximum height of 15cm I think I may just let it cover the whole front of the tank as a carpet.  It looks like the plant in your first photo and it can flower (although I haven't experienced it).  The flower appears on the end of a stem that grows from the centre of the plant and has three white petals that emerge from a bud.  The second photo looks like a flower from the actual echinodorus amazonicus species.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #797 on: July 25, 2017, 09:39:53 PM »
It's turning into a very long night.
Decided to tackle the bristlenose & tetra tank, mainly to split the BNs to avoid any further babies.
So far I've transferred 57 babies, and I'm not finished yet.
They are cute, but I wish the babies would all just swim into the net now.  ::)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #798 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:46 PM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #799 on: July 25, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »
The (possibly) final total is 107 babies moved to another tank.
My back hurts, so I'm going to have a rest for a few minutes, before a final check of the original tank.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: