Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206367 times) 1923 replies

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #700 on: April 13, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Very nice, thanks for posting. :)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #701 on: April 13, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »
@Sue that is a great little cave for the fish. Glad they liked it.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #702 on: April 13, 2017, 10:52:45 PM »
Anyone know what other gobys/stiphodons there are which can be kept at normal tropical temperatures without additional flow?

I wondered about Stiphodon atropurpureus/semoni

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #703 on: April 13, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
As I don't know your setup I'll add another possible cause which is low levels of carbon dioxide in the aquarium.  This is usually caused by low circulation or aeration in the tank so when the NH3 converts to NH4 and releases an additional OH (hydroxide) atom it stays in the water column.  If this is a possibility in your tank adding an air stone will sort it.  The aquarium will produce more CO2 and the pH will gradually fall.

Sorry to go back over old ground here but this got me thinking... does this mean that in s some setups, co2 levels could be increased with the addition of an airstone (I'm thinking about plants here!...)? I did some research on this a while back but never came to a solid conclusion. Could I test the theory by pH testing after a week with the airstone on vs off?

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #704 on: April 14, 2017, 02:27:20 AM »
To be honest, and I'll @Paddyc here too, what I initially said was a bit muddled.   

The producing of more CO2 was badly phrased here.  Adding greater flow of air won't produce more CO2 but release more of the potential of the CO2 amount already in the water.  The potential is reached when the CO2 is mixed with the water to form carbonic acid (H2CO3 - so wish subscript worked for me).  As it's an acid (in normal atmospheric conditions it has a pH of around 5.65) this reduces the overall pH value.  This is the usual state of a normal aquarium and you can't increase the total of CO2 by adding more air.   Too high a water movement can have the adverse effect of raising pH more because CO2 exchange at the surface doesn't allow it to change into carbonic acid.  Usually this will top out at around pH 8.4.

For plants adding CO2 to achieve a constant pH value would require a controlled system such as a pressurised CO2 kit.  For example to achieve a pH of 7.4 in water with KH of 4 based solely off carbonate (CO3) would need CO2 to be at 4.8 ppm but that's not really what the CO2 kit is trying to achieve.  To get the most out of CO2 in water for your plants the kit is trying to get you to 30 ppm which in the above controlled example would lead to a pH of around 6.6.  At 30 ppm the CO2 levels are considered optimum for the plants.  Also carbonic acid isn't the only acid in your tank which is why drop checkers aren't calibrated against the tank water but a separate liquid usually at 4KH.  The actual pH when the CO2 is added may turn out a little lower.

Offline Sue

« Reply #705 on: April 14, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
Anyone know what other gobys/stiphodons there are which can be kept at normal tropical temperatures without additional flow?

I wondered about Stiphodon atropurpureus/semoni

Paecock gudgeons are fine because they are not really gobies - which is why I prefer the word gudgeons  :)

I don't have that much flow and I have what were sold as Indie Blue gobies. I have no idea which species they are. They look most similar to S. atropurpureus. There are many sepcies and those on sale are all wild caught. The locals catching them don't know or don't care what they are as long as they get paid.

If you read up on stiphodons on Seriously Fish, they mention that
Stiphodon spp. inhabiting the fastest-flowing and/or living above waterfalls generally lack extended dorsal-fin rays/spines plus the first dorsal-fin is rounded in shape and approximately the same height as the second dorsal-fin.
and
In contrast those possessing a ‘taller’ first dorsal-fin with one or more extended rays (characters usually if not always more apparent in males) tend to live in slower-moving streams and not climb waterfalls as part of their life cycle (Watson, 2008).

I have yet to get a useable photo of mine swimming, which is when the fins are seen open, but this is the best I have of the fins of a stationary male.

[Please ignore the state of the tank. It needed cleaning and the male was so nicely coloured and well positioned I had to photograph him before I cleaned the tank  ;D ]

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #706 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »
Thanks @Sue I am 'little kid level' excited about getting a couple of these!!  ;D

Can I just check what water temperature you have yours at and what you feed them? I was considering Soilent Green from what I have read online...

Offline Sue

« Reply #707 on: April 14, 2017, 03:20:37 PM »
I keep my tank at 23 deg C. And I feed them with Hikari algae wafers, though I'm almost out of those so next I'm going to try Omega One veggie rounds which I've read are highly recommended. The tank also has a fair amount of algae.....

I bought the last 2 stiphodons in the shop and both turned out to be male. The shop ordered some more and I got 4 more, which turned out to be 2 of each. This is not the recommended gender ratio but the tank has a 107 x 45 cm footprint with lots of wood so the males haven't done any harm to each other yet. The recommended is 1 male and a few females. Females are the plain ones with no colour, just a black stripe. But if the shop tank has any substrate they'll dive into it and be very hard to catch, so getting the one fish you are certain is female is not an easy job  :(

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #708 on: April 14, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
OMG @Matt Soylent green!!!!! Do you know what that's made of?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #709 on: April 14, 2017, 11:31:21 PM »
OMG @Matt Soylent green!!!!! Do you know what that's made of?

Just googled it!!  :rotfl:

No I meant this: https://www.store.repashy.com/soilent-green-4-oz-bag.html

Not the horror film...  :yikes:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #710 on: May 02, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
Very recently realised that I lived within driving distance of the on-line aquatic plant retailer that I'd previously purchased from. I took a drive to the Aquarium Gardens store this morning and have realised that I'm as bad with plants as I am with fish.  :-[
Muchos spendy spend  ;D
My timing is also quite awesome, as the owner said they have an aquascaping demonstration by George Farmer on Thursday evening, so will be going to that too.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #711 on: May 02, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »
George Farmer! That is a must on your calendar  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #712 on: May 02, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
I think I killed a fish last week  :(

Last time I did a water change, I also cleaned the media in one filter. Eheim biopowers have a clip on the back which slots into a bracket. It was a bit fiddly getting the filter back on the bracket last week.

I've just done a water change. When I put the filter back last week, the mini spray bar wasn't positioned correctly so today I unhooked the filter to move the bar and a dead fish floated to the surface of the water. It was a long dead, flattened fish. The fact that it was flat and hadn't been eaten makes me think I trapped it when I put the filter on the bracket last week. It had been there a fair while as it stank.
I think it was a stiphodon because the eyes were close together on top of the head, and these fish do cling to the glass or anything else solid - like a filter bracket.

So be warned, if you have a filter that clips into a bracket, make sure there are no fish in it after cleaning the filter.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #713 on: May 02, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
Oh dear  :'(  sorry to hear about your bad luck on this one.

Good of you to spread this excellent advice Sue. Hopefully it will avoid others having a similar experience  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #714 on: May 03, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about your fish @Sue
Some fish are more prone than others to various types of accident due to behavioural characteristics, and when you consider how frequently filters are moved, sometimes it feels like it's only a matter for time before these accidents happen, however careful we are.
 :(

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #715 on: May 03, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about your fish @Sue .  I thought I'd lost one this morning but counted again this afternoon and they were all there.  Which confuses me as I got remains of something out of the aquarium.

@Littlefish I like to watch George Farmer on youtube.  He makes some lovely aquascapes.

Offline Sue

« Reply #716 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »
They haven't been breeding replacements, have they? Just to confuse you of course  ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #717 on: May 03, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
I totally redid my quarantine tank into a grow out tank (more on that in another post) yesterday and gave it a thorough clean.  I had amano shrimp in there and now suspect one was hiding in the substrate and what I got out was its remains.  :/  The others were transferred to the PNG tank.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #718 on: May 03, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
@marquismirage my tanks are all planted, but far from aquascaped. As a general rule my focus is on the fish, and the plants are there to create hiding places for the fish, help with the water, and make the tank look ok.
It would be positively rude not to watch an expert in action, less than 15 miles from home, for free (not counting how much I've spent on plants this year  :o )
Don't expect a marked improvement in my tanks though.  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #719 on: May 03, 2017, 07:51:04 PM »
I also did some shopping today, with mixed results.
I went to one branch of MA for some panda cories, otos, and amano shrimp. My entire shopping experience was ruined as I watched the male of a young couple (possibly mid-twenties) tapping on several of the tanks of smaller fish (neons, glowlights, etc.) and watching them all scoot to the back of the tank. The girl told him to stop, but he carried on. I couldn't help myself, and had to say something about his behaviour, and explained that he was stressing the fish which could lead to some of them dying. Ok, a tad overboard I know, and I've seen kids do worse, but I felt he was old enough to know better, and at least I didn't say what I was thinking.
I went to another store, but they didn't have everything I wanted, neither did the 3rd store. Eventually I got everything I wanted, and my current quarantine tank (previously housed the betta and pandas) now houses another 8 pandas, 6 otos, and 10 amano shrimp. That tank has been growing algae for several months, and the otos seem to be munching their way around the tank with wild abandon.
Eventually the pandas and otos will join the other pandas and betta. Not sure about the shrimp, but so fond of the ones I've already got I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with some in an aquascaped tank (if I learn enough tomorrow).

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: