Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207568 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1900 on: November 19, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
You don't feed anything like dried bloodworms straight from the pack do you? I know bettas have trouble with these as they soak up water inside the fish and swell up causing problems for the fish.

Daphnia (live or defrosted frozen) is another good 'treatment' for constipation.

No fortunately not, I found that out a couple of years back AFTER I bought some freeze dried bloodworm! I used it very sparingly over a long period of time in my community tank. I've been feeding flake and frozen bloodworm alternatively recently.

Was it daphnia not bloodworm that's good for constipation?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #1901 on: November 21, 2019, 04:54:27 PM »
Yes, it's daphnia for constipation.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1902 on: November 21, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
I have added a photo of my new betta to this thread https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/gallery-showcase/my-bettas/10/

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1903 on: November 21, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
Was it daphnia not bloodworm that's good for constipation?
Bloodworm is/was advocated for relieving constipation in goldfish, which is possibly where you and I have that in mind. I don't think I'd heard of daphnia in my goldfish-keeping days. Checking out a 'bona fide' website, I see that both it and daphnia are now suggested for goldfish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1904 on: November 21, 2019, 06:43:24 PM »
I have read somewhere that the problem with bloodworm is that they have hard heads and if a fish stuffs themselves the heads can cause a blockage. How true that is, I can't say.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1905 on: November 21, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
I would imagine that might account for why they're (still) advocated for goldfish but aren't advocated for tropicals (or at least fish smaller than goldfish). From recollection, there's also an issue with bloodworm being quite fattening and less nutritious than daphnia... but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1906 on: November 21, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »
I've got a scraper for the glass, and I thought a stiff brush would deal with the wood, but no.
Spotty wood it is then.  ;D

Hi @Littlefish & Everyone,

Even a wire brush is ineffective with Nerite eggs on bogwood. But, I've just had a thought. If these eggs hatch in salty water, I wonder if they would soften enough by moving the wood into salty water to help remove them? The bogwood would then need to be thoroughly rinsed before being returned to its original home.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1907 on: November 23, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »
Ah, good idea @jaypeecee I might try putting one of the smaller pieces of spotty wood in my brackish tank with the mudskippers and see what happens.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1908 on: November 23, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
From recollection, there's also an issue with bloodworm being quite fattening and less nutritious than daphnia...

Yes, bloodworm is quite fatty. And feeding any live food exclusively won't provide a balanced diet. If we ate nothing but burgers, we'd suffer as well  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1909 on: November 24, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
Exciting times - the cardinals have eventually shown an interest in eating chopped pea! It's as though they had a meeting about it earlier in the week, the chief female (whose lead the others follow) reported that she'd noticed the benefit to the others' digestive systems (i.e. no sign of constipation after eating it) and then gave them all permission to tuck in. Ordinarily, I put it in, and the cardinals completely ignore it, yet, in contrast to a few days ago, they've now all immediately tucked into it.  ???

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1910 on: December 01, 2019, 12:27:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The cardinals are doing a good job at seeking out left-overs on the bottom of the tank which was what I was hoping for. One of the two females, though, is a bit too keen - she's become so large from all her eating that her horizontal stripe is distorted... think it's the obese female x-ray tetra reincarnated!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1911 on: December 01, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
They do seem to have eyes bigger than their bellies... don't know when to stop!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1912 on: December 02, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
I was intending to do an overdue water change this afternoon. We went out shopping the morning and got back just before midday to the sound of burglar alarms going off round us. Went in to find no power. Judging by the mechanical timer on the betta's tank, it had been off for about 15 mins. It came back on 20 minutes ago. So no water changes as I couldn't boil a kettle to warm the new water.

So we've been sitting in the lounge for 4 hours as that room has a gas fire so we could keep warm. Even our son's cat abandoned his usual places (on son's bed, on a dining room chair) and came in with us to keep warm. There is talk about banning new properties from being connected to the gas mains - if we had not had a gas fire we'd have been in bed all afternoon (with a cat, he's taken to sleeping on our bed at night as it is).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1913 on: December 02, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
We used to have much more frequent and lwngtht power cuts when I was a kid. We seemed particularly prone to them where I grew up in rural Devon. They were just part of life though then, you got a torch and carried on. Now I have a more electronically based life it seems with gadgets, Wi-Fi etc which means that a power cut is a huge inconvenience... that said i do seem to recall a time when my mum lost a big chest freezer full of home cooked meals due to an extended power cut which was gutting.

I had not heard about not connecting new homes to the gas network... it seems strange when the electricity network is at such stress in peak times that we are encouraging electric cars and stopping people using gas. I've no idea which is more environmentally damaging, gas or electric... some googling to follow...

Don't get me wrong... any effort to reduce greenhouse emission is an absolute must, every time I think about the world I am bringing my son into I am deeply concerned... but not connecting people to gas sound to me like one of those sounds good things that reality means is more complex. Look at whats happened with diesel vs petrol recently... and that was seemingly unexpected by many... anyway I'm off to do some googling!...

Offline Sue

« Reply #1914 on: December 02, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »
The freezer was my main concern but it was cold enough in the kitchen that the red light didn't come on when the power came back on. I'd been using the tumble drier till just as we went out, and since my husband refuses to have a hole knocked in the wall  >:(  I have to put the tube out of an open window, so the kitchen was cold before the power cut.

The item I read was that with new build homes after a certain date all built in hobs would have to be induction, and that heating would be by heat exchange units rather than central heating as we know it now.
Your reaction is the same as mine when I read it - the electric supply is stressed enough now, if there is to be a bigger demand, there'll just be more power cuts.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1915 on: December 02, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
There's loads of other factors... just heat the room with electric, not the pipes in the walls, better for cooking too as heat transfered to the pan more efficiently... I won't go on for fear of boring you...

The answer is less complex when you consider... electric can be vastly less impactfull IF a renewable source is used.  This seems to be the principle. Gas cant be renewable in the future in the way electric can.

In fact I have switched to green electricity myself recently (and was quite proud to have done so - especially when I found I saved money overall on my old tariff) but didn't even think about the gas.

To add to this... I wonder how many people out there think that a condensing boiler just emits steam and not co2... this brings up another line of thought around our behaviours around energy, misinformation etc etc... I did a masters on a similar topic so I will definately stop ranting now and leave you all in peace...

We just need to have 100% renewable electricity in the UK (so sunny and windy weather then we run out if water.....)  this time I'm really stopping....

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1916 on: December 09, 2019, 05:48:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'm finally comfortable to say that my Betta Gretta is better...!

It seems to have taken an age for her to improve with multiple treatments of swim bladder medication. I am wondering two things...
1) possibly only first dose of treatment truly effective as upon reflection I believe I may have failed to shake the bottle before administering subsequent doses (though it doesn't actually say you need to)
2) Far more likely!.. I have change the food we are giving her and she also now gets a greater variety of foods. The flake food I believe may have been contributing to intestinal upset impacting of her swim bladder.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1917 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
Great news, Matt. Having frequently treated fantail goldfish in the past for this, (2) definitely made a difference. As for (1), did you use Interpet's treatment? I have used it before and also found that an anti-bacterial infection medication was helpful too - my vague recollection was that the ingredients were similar but the latter's ingredients stronger... may be completely incorrect, though.

Two of my harlies are definitely becoming increasingly S-shaped; I can't see them reaching their 5th birthdays in 5 months' time. Also, the x-ray with the bent/curving-up tail is unlikely to reach his 5.5th birthday in 4 months' time.  At least they've had a good life even if looking very elderly now.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1918 on: December 10, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
Glad to hear that Greta is much better now.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1919 on: December 14, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »
Key piece of equipment for a fishkeeper, in the event of potential illness in a small fish and needing a better view of the extent of the situation, is a magnifying glass. I know Sue uses one but I have learned today just how crucial and helpful that would be. I thought I had one but can't find it anywhere.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: