Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207526 times) 1923 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1780 on: June 18, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm in the process of going through all the old equipment I've "saved" in boxed under the spare bed, testing stuff, and getting rid of it if it's broken, or unsuitable for current tanks.

As for using boiling water on stuff, I usually have a bucket of hot/boiling water that I put tank maintenance equipment in before use. I don't always think this through completely, and now have a small shrimp net that isn't as straight as it used to be.  ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1781 on: June 23, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »
I've been doing a lot of tank maintenance this weekend, and was a bit surprised when I spotted a baby panda cory in their tank. I hadn't noticed the adults participating in any mating behaviour, but they must have managed it at some point.  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1782 on: June 23, 2019, 04:57:35 PM »
I managed to get a picture of the little panda cory. It's so tiny I've circled it to help.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1783 on: June 23, 2019, 06:14:01 PM »
Congrats on your new 'grandfish'.  :cheers:

How do you find the panda .v. the habrosus on various factors eg robustness, cuteness, variety of antics, etc?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1784 on: June 23, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »
Thanks @fcmf

I've had the pandas quite a while, and they've produced offspring previously. They are a bit bigger than the habrosus, but not as big as my peppered cories. Their antics are quite similar, and I find the "diving up to the eyeballs into the substrate" hilarious.
I've not had the habrosus very long, so I can't say if there is any chance that they could breed.
I've had the peppered cories the longest, and I don't know if it's anything to do with size (the females are massive), but the habrosus seem quite civilised, whereas the peppered cories will bumble around the tank, bumping into and swimming over any other fish, with (what appears to be) complete disregard. The pandas seem to be more towards the mid-spectrum/slightly more civilised.
The pandas are more outgoing that the peru gold stripe cories in another tank.
I'd say that the pandas must be fairly hardy as they've been moved to several different tanks. They were previously in one of the South American tanks, then they moved in with a betta, now they are back in a SA tank.

I've just realised that I have cories in each community tank. I admit that I like them.  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1785 on: June 26, 2019, 11:24:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Ive just added some rocket panchax to my community aquarium... they are true surface dwellers and beautiful peaceful fish, rarely leaving the surface and properly skimming it constantly... jot just being near the top as such. They've settled in well over the last 2 weeks and they definately add something to the top of the tank.  I'm not a fan of hatchet fish so these are a great alternative!

I'll try and get a better photo later...

Also has a slight rearrange in the dwarf puffer tank but impossible to get a shot without reflections... I'll keep you waiting for that one which I'll put in the gallery section for that tank.

Anyone else want to do a gallery journal for their tank?? It's been great to look back on as I've just been doing :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1786 on: June 26, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
That's a gorgeous fish  :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1787 on: June 26, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
Hi Matt,

Wow! What a stunning fish. Never seen one before. Would you care to let us know where you got them from? MA? Looks like another fish to research and consider.

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1788 on: June 26, 2019, 07:44:51 PM »
Hi Matt,

Wow! What a stunning fish. Never seen one before. Would you care to let us know where you got them from? MA? Looks like another fish to research and consider.

JPC

Yep just got them from my local MA in Preston. Seen them in a few MAs including the Wigan store too... thoh I can see you are in Berkshire... so that's not much use sorry!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1789 on: June 26, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
Hi Matt,

JPC

Yep just got them from my local MA in Preston. Seen them in a few MAs including the Wigan store too... thoh I can see you are in Berkshire... so that's not much use sorry!

Hi Matt,

Just did a quick check on Seriously Fish to find out a bit more. They would appear to like acidic/neutral water with pH from 4.0 - 7.0. More info here:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epiplatys-annulatus/

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1790 on: June 26, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
Consistency in pH is more important than the actual value. Provided you are not miles out of course. My water is about 7.5pH.  Hardness is the more important value to be concerned about.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1791 on: June 26, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »
I've seen them in my LFS/MA a while back - they are/were absolutely tiny, so thanks for this photo as they're much easier to see from it and more beautiful than I had recalled.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1792 on: June 26, 2019, 09:27:08 PM »
Neighbour with fishtank 4x the volume/capacity of mine is moving out and unsure what to do with their tank. Mr FCMF is away for a few days... Soooo tempting to "replace" the existing tank with the neighbour's, the only difficulty being that the cabinet which ours is on is already at its maximum load with the existing tank and there is absolutely no scope for moving furniture around in our small abode.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1793 on: June 27, 2019, 05:41:04 AM »
I would certainly be taking the tank off your neighbours hands... you can have the conversation with a Mr FCMF when he returns and explore options then... Worst comes to the worst, you have quite tank to sell/dispose of. Assuming this isn't a big deal... dont leave yourself having the conversation about what could have been!!!

You could also presumably use the glass to build a custom tank to exactly fit the space you have, but that is perhaps a step to far into unknown territory??

Excited forward you!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1794 on: June 27, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »
Beautiful fish @Matt
I have a bit of a thing for surface fish, and panchax. If it wasn't for the fact that my water is completely unsuitable for them they would already be part of the Littlefish crew. Stunning colours & markings.  :afro

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1795 on: June 27, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
@fcmf  I think @Matt has suggested an great way forward with the issue of the neighbours tank.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1796 on: July 01, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, both - I'm afraid there genuinely isn't even the space in our tiny abode for the aforementioned tank stored upright, as we struggle to manoeuvre past everything as it is!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1797 on: July 02, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
 :(  That's a shame.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1798 on: July 04, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »
Yesterday PFK magazine was delivered, so I had a quick flick through after cleaning the axolotl tank. I was interested to see that they'd done a local roadtrip, including Aquarium Gardens, MA Huntingdon, and the Water Zoo, all of which I've previously visited. The other shop featured was MA @ Peterborough Dobbies, and I was immediately smacked in the face by a picture of their mudskipper tank.  :o

To refresh memories, a couple of years ago my local MA had an unexpected delivery that they hadn't ordered, but when they contacted the suppliers they were told to keep it. It included mudskippers. I happened to visit the store that day, and fell for the goofy little fish immediately. During the following 6 months I visited those mudskippers regularly, did my research, and set up a tank. Collecting them and transporting them home was nerve-wracking, but everyone survived, and they are all still with me.

As they had not been ordered by my local store, there wasn't any information on the exact species. All I knew was that they were asian mudskippers. I've always been a bit nervous about how large they were going to grow, and have always kept my fingers crossed that they weren't the largest ones. After seeing the article in PFK I wondered if that was the shop that had originally ordered the mudskippers now residing at chez Littlefish, and decided that a trip to Peterborough was an absolute must.

This morning I headed to Peterborough. Like a total doofus I went to the wrong MA first, but luckily the guy I spoke to runs both, and was heading over to the other store, so I met him over there. I spent an hour at the correct store, gawping at their display, being entertained by the antics of their fish (they had 20 in the tank), and getting lots of useful information. The amazingly helpful chap even went through the records to find out what they'd ordered previously, and it turns out that I have Periothalmus septemradiatus, commonly known as the dwarf indian mudskipper. I cannot even begin to explain how totally chuffed I am to finally know exactly what my gang are, and also that they are now fully grown ;D . The chap also explained how to sex mudskippers, and we had a long discussion on options for their set ups during the tank rearrangements here.

I eventually tore myself away from the store display, drove through some lovely scenery in the sunshine, went to Aquarium Gardens to get some anubias for the axolotl & mudskipper tanks, then home via my local MA to get some RO water.

Sometimes days just don't get any better than this.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1799 on: July 04, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »
Aw, this is a fantastic story, @Littlefish - how exciting for both you and the chap at MA Peterborough to find out the intended origin and ultimate destination & progress respectively of your mudskippers!  You have indeed had a great and productive day.  :cheers:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: