Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 205930 times) 1923 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1740 on: April 02, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Awesome pic, and congratulations! I am hoping to get a few GBRs this weekend... I miss having them so much... can decide whether to get Bolivian Rams instead as they are a bit hardier though... what is your water hardness and nitrate levels?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the kind words. Water hardness in this tank is 8dGH and TDS is approximately 300ppm. I normally keep hardness a tad lower at 6dGH and TDS around the 250ppm mark. Nitrate is 15ppm. It's often thought that pH has to be 'low' for GBRs but the pH in this tank is around 7.70 (measured using a recently-calibrated Extech PH100 meter). Tank temperature is 26.0 - 26.5C. I should add that I use RO water as my starting point to which I add Tropic Marin Re-Mineral Tropic electrolytes.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1741 on: April 02, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »
Thanks that's reassuring, mine will be very similar for them.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1742 on: April 09, 2019, 08:12:15 PM »
9 POSTS AT THIS POINT IN THE THREAD HAVE BEEN MOVED TO https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-health/fish-health-in-my-tank/ POSTS 52-60, AS THEY SAT MORE APPROPRIATELY THERE.  C:-)  I HADN'T MERGED TOPICS FOR A WHILE AND, IN MY CONFUSION/PANIC, REALISE I FORGOT TO POST AN OFFICIAL 'RE-DIRECTION' TOPIC - APOLOGIES.   :-[

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1743 on: April 11, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
That awful moment when you have a power cut, and realise that you're not prepared for it.  :yikes:

Luckily, the power cut lasted for less than 5 minutes, but it makes you think about what could happen.

Also very grateful that I wasn't in the shower at the time.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1744 on: April 11, 2019, 10:18:35 AM »
The only long power outage we've had was 8 hours - but we knew about it a couple of weeks in advance so I was able to prepare. It was planned work on the substation.
A couple of years ago we had another letter saying we'd be without power for a few hours on this date, but things went awry with that one - the planned repair turned into an emergency repair without notice a few days earlier than planned. The power was off for about 3 hours, and everyone survived despite me not being able to arrange things in advance. (At least we were not in the houses that lost their power in the middle of the night and spent the following day on generators while NEDL repaired whatever it was)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1745 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:28 PM »
A water change with a difference!

I had my second cataract operation a week and a half ago and I'm not allowed to lift buckets of water for 4 weeks. I promised my fish-hating husband I'd do water changes every weeks and a half so he only had to help me with 2 instead of 4. We have just done a joint water change - I filled the buckets with old water and he carried them into the garden and poured them over the dry plants (no rain for quite a while) but as he's had a bad back I could only fill them two thirds the usual amount so more trips outside. Then he carried the new water to the tank for me.
Because he was standing round waiting to carry the new water I didn't go and do something else while the kettle boiled, then forget to fill the bucket, so it was actually quite a bit quicker  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1746 on: April 15, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »
Mrs Matt found a cherry shrimp in the office today. The little guy had somehow got out of the tank in the sitting room, across the hall carpet and on into the study... quite impressed though equally sad at the same time. I guess it will have been from the final round of esha ndx I gave the tank to deal with any last camallanus worms. The shrimp went to the surface and out of their normal cover when I dosed it.

I moved the Amano shrimp out before dosing but have only managed to find 2 in the puffer tank to move back in so far... might take me a few days to spot them all...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1747 on: May 04, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
Hmmm. There seems to be a pool of water around the tank occurring too frequently for my liking. This morning's was mopped up pre-breakfast, with the old towel deliberately squeezing into the foam underlay around the base to release any excess moisture there. More water had pooled post-breakfast. A couple of hours later, and there's more... 

This may require a swift purchase of a new tank...  How big can I get away with?  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1748 on: May 04, 2019, 10:26:12 AM »
What's the biggest he won't notice  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1749 on: May 05, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »
 :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1750 on: May 05, 2019, 11:13:53 AM »
I've been cleaning tanks this morning, and it hasn't gone well.

I'm only 4 tanks in and I've already decided to take a break.

So far this morning I've flooded the carpet in front of the forest tank because I didn't close the drain port completely, and I've just syphoned Brianne (largest female dwarf puffer) out of the tank by accident. I mean, completely out of the tank, through the tube, and into the waste bucket. She's back in the tank now, and doesn't seem to have suffered any injuries. She also doesn't seem to be particularly bothered by her brief adventure, and is currently pottering around the roots of the frogbit. I am still shaking and feel sick.

I hope that she continues to be ok.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1751 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have done that before. Fish that fit through the tube without getting stuck will be OK. But puffers release a toxin when stressed. That can kill all the fish in the tank. Put some carbon in the tank asap - either in the tank's filter or a separate one. Better safe than sorry.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1752 on: May 05, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
I've just put some carbon in.
Thanks Sue, that was a great suggestion, and I hadn't even thought about it.
The pic is a bit blurry, but I just wanted to prove that she was still alive.

What is the equivalent to carbon for humans? I feel as if I'm releasing quite a few toxins due to stress myself!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1753 on: May 05, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
I have sucked up Microdevarios and rescued them from the bucket more than once. I've sucked up pygmy cories - and freed some that got wedged in the tube. They were all fine once back in the tank.
Not to mention countless shrimps that have made the trip.

Caution - people of a nervous disposition should stop reading now.

I use a wine making siphon tube with a narrow rigid plastic tube on the tank end, and the only disaster was the apisto that got stuck in the tube opening and was severely wounded, so badly I stopped doing the water change to put him down.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1754 on: May 05, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »
That is quite comforting to know that you have had this issue and that the fish were fine when they were back in the tank.

This is the first time I've completely syphoned something into the waste bucket. Most of my fish are relatively large (compared to the tube), and up until recently I've only had amano shrimp.

The next tank I'd normally clean is the one with the salt & pepper corys, as well as the tiny crystal bee shrimp. I think I might leave that until later, and move on to cleaning a tank with larger fish, just to be on the safe side. 

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1755 on: May 05, 2019, 02:58:35 PM »
I've just finished cleaning the tank with the tiny corys & shrimp.
Although I didn't notice when I sucked up a shrimp, at least I could see it in the orange waste bucket.  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1756 on: May 05, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
I did something silly today. We went out to my son's this afternoon, and I fed the fish just before we left. The food is in the kitchen next to the betta's tank. I measured out the betta's pellets and put them in his tank, followed by the tiny pinch of crushed algae wafers for the shrimps. Then I measured out the food for the main tank - sinking pellets, flake and crushed algae wafers - into a small pot. And then emptied the pot into the betta's tank  :yikes:

I scooped as much out as I could with a fine mesh net, but we were already running late so had to leave the rest. I did a water change as soon as we got back, there was a lot of uneaten food in the bucket so at least it didn't have chance to decompose to ammonia.

And the betta didn't get his meal this evening, just in case he'd been stuffing himself while we were out.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1757 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
Well, it sounds as I wasn't the only one having an off day yesterday @Sue   :)

I'm guessing that your betta managed to grab a bit of food while you were out, even though you scooped a lot out with the net. Saying that, if he didn't recognise it as his food, he may have ignored most of it.

I felt very  :yikes: with the puffer incident yesterday, but I'm pleased to report that they are all ok this morning. Many thanks for suggesting I put carbon in the tank. I'd have been gutted if Brianne had survived her trip into the waste bucket, but then everyone had been wiped out by stress toxins. I'm sure all the dwarf puffers are also very grateful to you.  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #1758 on: May 06, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
I recently read a thread on another forum where someone was asking if it was OK to keep Amazon puffers in this tank with these fish. The thread goes on for a few pages with the original chap coming up with all sorts of different combinations and the two forum experts telling they won't work (tank too small, incompatible water requirements, incompatible fish species etc) There was a comment in the thread from one of the experts about puffer toxins wiping out a whole tank, and that carbon should be used full time in a puffer tank. The chap also commented that puffers should be in species only tanks to reduce stress from other fish, and that even poor water quality can stress puffers enough to produce the toxin. (I know that your puffers have excellent water quality from all the water changes you do  :) )

I have the sort of brain that remembers all sorts of tiny bits of info but forgets big things like turning the oven on to cook dinner  ;D And your post about the puffer and her fairground ride brought the comments to mind.

Bettas are well known for stuffing themselves till they make themselves ill. I knew he would eat the flake which is why I scooped as much as I could out. If we hadn't been half way out of the door when I fed them I'd have cleaned the tank immediately. We went out just before 2 and I did the water change as soon as we got home at 4.30. The betta is swimming around as usual this morning and the shrimps are all fine, so I got the food out in time.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1759 on: May 06, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
Glad to hear that your betta & shrimp are all doing well.  :)

I'll make sure that I always have carbon in the dwarf puffer tank now. You never know, Brianne might release toxins at the sight of the syphon tube after her recent adventure.  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: