Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207734 times) 1923 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1720 on: February 28, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I couldn't believe how lucky I was at the LFS.  :)

Your fish antics sounds fascinating. I've seen some of my tetras follow behind corys when they are rummaging through the sand, but I've not seen fish do what your x-ray and harlie were spotted doing. That's genius.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1721 on: March 02, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »
Spring appears to have sprung in the fishtank. I've had to avert my eyes several times as the microdevario kubotai, which I still consider my babies, seem to have "come of age" and are behaving in a certain manner which leaves no question as to what they're up to. It seems to be infectious, as it's now got the harlequins in the same frame of mind. In the absence of any females now, even two male tetras seemed to be behaving in a similar manner among the plants.

Meanwhile, the female snail has taken command of the foodpot and the poor male snail has tried in vain on several occasions to access it but has done a u-turn on seeing her in it each time.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1722 on: March 07, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Glad to hear that your gang are enjoying the season.

On a similar topic, I saw this and couldn't resist sharing it.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1723 on: March 15, 2019, 05:53:22 PM »
Weekly water change performed 2.5-3.5 hrs ago. Been doing other things since.  Went back in to view the fish; 1 neon green rasbora missing.

Whole tank gets dismantled in a hunt for it, to no avail. Mr FCMF looks under fishtank cabinet, and there it is at the very back - one very dead neon green rasbora.  :'(  :'(  :'( I do a head count every morning (and at various stages during the day) and, unless I miscalculated, all were present and correct this morning. I have heard intermittent splashing recently and witnessed a neon green at the surface and responsible for this so I can only assume it was this one, whether during the water change or not. It seemed to dry out very quickly, though!  ???

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1724 on: March 15, 2019, 06:35:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rasbora @fcmf   :(

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1725 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
Sorry to hear this. Please try not to blame yourself. Doesn't sound like there is much you could have done differently here... fish do jump sometimes unfortunately. Even in nature they can jump out of pools and streams... I've seen fish startle themselves by swimming backwards into things!!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1726 on: March 17, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
Thanks, both. I've replayed it over and over in my mind and think I am to blame, though - normally, I "forewarn" everyone and calmly chat to them that I'm about to undertake their water change, whereas I was a bit distracted on Fri and a bit too methodical and efficient - whisking out the hornwort and java fern, then realising I'd a couple of cuts on my fingers which were stinging from the water and grabbing a towel, then experimenting with the spray bar which ended up sending the water upwards towards the rear/back of the tank. If the fish had inadvertently accompanied the plants out of the tank, then lifting the neighbouring towel might have sent it skidding under the fishtank cabinet or it may have leapt out of the plants and under the fishtank cabinet while I was rinsing my cuts under the tap before putting on gloves. The fish transpired to be the one which enjoyed surfing the water current and swimming vertically in it along the opposite side of the tank - gutted to have lost the quirky one of that shoal ::) - so it's possible it may have availed of the several seconds' experimentation with the spray bar and ended up catapulting back the couple of inches straight through the slat.
:'(  :vcross:
As you say, though, and given how dry it was when discovered, this surfing fish which had taken to splashing at the water surface and in the hornwort may actually have escaped out pre- water change.

Separately, I have the harlequin with the intermittent lesion on its side currently under eSHa 2000 treatment in the hospital tank - it looks like a recurrent injury but may be a bacterial infection (no sign of parasites) albeit not as deep as the ulcer-like hole one of the female x-rays had. I may have mentioned before that his spine is twisted slightly in an S shape when viewed from above. Post- water change, he was shoaled up with the others rather than in his usual quiet spot near the top on his own, and I noticed how pale he was in comparison with them. I hadn't treated him before now but thought this was the opportunity to do so while he is constitutionally still strong and eating but does seem to be declining somewhat. The treatment may not help but I thought it worth a try before too late and to avoid any regrets.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1727 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
Power cut here... tanks all wrapped up nice and toasty! Not too concerned just yet, will be if it doesn't come back on before bed time. Been an hour so far!  Most concerned about the female Goldeneye in the hospital tank. She may have to go back in the main tank tonight if there is no electric, she is just in a plastic tote temporary tank thing.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1728 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
Second bit of advice online!!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1729 on: March 18, 2019, 09:28:17 PM »
Back up and running :) phew!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1730 on: March 18, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Glad to hear that you have power again.
I'll bet that was a bit tense for a while.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1731 on: March 23, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »
Just completed a spring clean of the pond, all set up for summer now :)
Hoping to get a couple of replacement comet goldfish soon to bring the numbers back up to 6. 2 of each colour variant.

Female Goldeneye is also a lot more active recently. Next weekend I do the final dosage for her, treat the main tank, and then hopefully things will be back to normal!

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1732 on: March 24, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »
Good to hear the female goldeneye is on the mend matt. I've put some sponges from a filter i brought to seed in my main tank today to help when i break the tank down in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm really enjoying planning all this at the moment and on tuesday i'm off to Aqua Essentials in devon to have a look around, I'm also going to buy a JBL pro flora c02 system.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1733 on: March 30, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Sad news. One of my two smaller harlequins, Little Harley, has died.  :'(

He had been in optimum health until yesterday when I noticed he was swimming slightly nose up but nothing otherwise untoward - I just assumed his swimbladder wasn't functioning just as well as usual given his advancing years (3yrs, 10mths) or that he'd maybe overdosed on food. I noticed the same this morning, and, as he was reaching for food, I did wonder if his belly was slightly paler underneath, but didn't think much more of it. Then, just after lunch, I went to sit by the fishtank and couldn't see him. After nudging a few plants, I noticed him lying upside down on the bottom and gasping. It was clear the situation had suddenly deteriorated in the space of less than 24 hrs to the point of no return and therefore I had to perform euthanasia to spare him any further suffering.  :'(

Having said that, and despite the tears while performing the above, it's so much easier when it's natural causes than a fatal accident (and, in this case, there hadn't even been the situation of dilemmas over whether to medicate or not as there had been no indication for that). Ironically, his shoalmate with the ulcer-like injuries to his flank, the accompanying bent spine, overall darker colouration, and who spends most of his time floating just under the water surface, lives on.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1734 on: March 30, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that  :'( 

As you say, he was getting on a bit, and it is definitely much easier when it's natural causes.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1735 on: March 30, 2019, 03:07:25 PM »
Sorry to hear this sad news. At least we can be comforted in that he had a happy and healthy life.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1736 on: March 30, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
So sorry to hear that Little Harley has passed.
It is sad and unexpected news.  :(

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1737 on: April 02, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »
On a similar topic, I saw this and couldn't resist sharing it.

Great picture. They don't look 'damned' to me. 'Raring to go' is how I see them.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1738 on: April 02, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi Folks,

Took this piccie yesterday of a spawning pair of our eight-month old GBRs. This is our sixth pair of GBRs to spawn in the last week!

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1739 on: April 02, 2019, 11:31:28 AM »
Hi Folks,

Took this piccie yesterday of a spawning pair of our eight-month old GBRs. This is our sixth pair of GBRs to spawn in the last week!

JPC

Awesome pic, and congratulations! I am hoping to get a few GBRs this weekend... I miss having them so much... can decide whether to get Bolivian Rams instead as they are a bit hardier though... what is your water hardness and nitrate levels?

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: