Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 205881 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1700 on: January 24, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I just showed this to Mrs Matt, a mathematician, who has informed me that the glass is in fact full its just half water and half air...

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1701 on: January 24, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »
I just showed this to Mrs Matt, a mathematician, who has informed me that the glass is in fact full its just half water and half air...
...although, strictly speaking, with it not being a straight up-and-down glass but getting wider towards the top, it's possibly more air than water.  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1702 on: January 24, 2019, 10:35:48 PM »

Nice. I like that.

The other way of looking at it is that the glass is half full if it was in the process of being filled....if the glass was full and a drink has been taken/water has been removed, it is half empty....if in doubt, check your parameters & do a water change.  :P

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1703 on: January 24, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »
In my profession the glass is described as being twice as big as it needs to be (ie 100% redundancy)! Though we build in redundancy in case of failure, which would be more like @Littlefish getting "just one more tank"!  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1704 on: January 25, 2019, 08:15:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
@Helen thanks for making me laugh, what a great way to start "nearly the weekend" (aka Friday).  ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1705 on: January 25, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »

Hi Matt,

I guess that there is a link or something that I'm not seeing in your post. What you see above is exactly how your post displays on my PC. Am I missing a trick?

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #1706 on: January 25, 2019, 12:17:28 PM »
Matt's post was a reply to the "3 glasses" image in Littlefish's post on the previous page  ;)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #1707 on: January 25, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
Matt's post was a reply to the "3 glasses" image in Littlefish's post on the previous page  ;)

Thanks, Sue.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1708 on: January 26, 2019, 05:45:14 PM »
I thought I'd run a cotton bud along the inside rim of the fishtank, where the hood closes down and sits, as I thought I saw a spec of green. What a surprise I got - a cotton bud wasn't sufficient to cope with what was there, so I used some filter wool in addition. Suffice to say that there was enough algae that it looked like almost a teaspoonful's worth!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1709 on: January 26, 2019, 06:12:44 PM »
Slightly gross, but a great indication of to need to have a deep clean of a tank occassionally.  :sick:  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1710 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
Just a reminder to use the community creator and check compatibility.
Nobody likes a pushy tank-mate that invades your personal space.  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1711 on: February 08, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
I had a day trip to Wharf Aquatics today.
I'd seen it in PFK, reported during a road trip, and as the runner up for Oddball Store of the Year 2018.
The drive took just over 2 hours, and my head is still spinning from the quantity and diversity of stock.
Before the panic starts, I didn't buy anything...though possibly because I was so overwhelmed with choices  :o

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1712 on: February 09, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »
Fantastic - you seem to be "on form" (4-hour roundtrips specifically to visit a fish/aquatic shop) although I'm somewhat surprised and at least mildly disappointed that you didn't buy anything.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1713 on: February 09, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
I made sure that I left my polystyrene box (for fish transport) at home, which meant that I had a very good, practical reason not to buy any fish, just in case my will power wavered.  ;)
As it was the shop has so much stock that I probably couldn't have made a decision anyway.  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #1714 on: February 13, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »
We have been out this afternoon on a trip to the three garden centres very close together. One of them is the garden centre that burned down last year, along with Maidenhead Aquatics.
As we pulled into the car park we could see that the site of the old garden centre is stripped completely; there is a very large new building to one side and in front of that was a new one storey building with Maidenhead Aquatics signs all over it. So I had to go and look.
It's not as big as the old one, but there were 4 ranks of tanks, 2 were empty and 2 had fish in though there were empty tanks even in these two. Mainly bread and butter fish, but hopefully as they restock they'll be getting more unusual fish like they had before.

Since the 4 ranks of tanks formed a U shape, I wonder if they'll all be fresh water. The old MA had a marine section separated from the freshwater section by the plants, baskets of rock and baskets of wood. Though there was something in the middle of the shop that I presume is going to be a pond of some sort. Either that or a hot tub for the staff  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1715 on: February 13, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
Great to hear that the MA is back after what happened.
I hope it doesn't take long for them to re-stock all of their tanks (and the "hot tub").  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1716 on: February 26, 2019, 03:39:32 PM »
What a strange day, in a good way.
I went to the LFS this morning to get some frozen bloodworms and a black background for a tank. Got chatting about stuff to the staff, and had a bit of a look around.
Another customer came in with some fish, plants, & wood from his tank. We got talking and he showed me pictures of his tank before he'd removed the plants, fish etc. - it was jam packed with massive, healthy plants. Tim (LFS staff) took the drift wood out of the bin liner it had been brought in, and my little face lit up.  ;D
The customer who had brought the stuff in gave me a bag of crypts (the bunch on the left of the tank in the picture), and Tim sold me the wood and attached crypts for £25.
To give you some idea of the size, they are in a Fluval Roma 200.
The wood may end up in the river tank, or perhaps in Bertie the BN's tank, and I'm sure we can find somewhere for the crypts in one of the tanks @Matt , but I couldn't leave without them.  :o

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1717 on: February 27, 2019, 07:11:55 AM »
I'm sure we can!... those are some healthy looking plants! And lots of them!

Having looked at the photo of the left hand bunch there are a lot of white eggs of some kind on the leaves... are you going to treat the plants /quaranteen like this for a while? Do you know what they might be?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1718 on: February 27, 2019, 07:47:34 AM »
Yes, they will be quarantined like this before use. One of the good things about my total tank chaos is always having a spare tank.  :)
They've got a heater, filters, plenty of water, ferts, and light, so I'll be interested to see what happens over the next few weeks.
The chap who had the plants used CO2, and had quite a fancy set up, so I can't imagine that the plants will continue to look like this with my low tech approach. Still, crypts have always done quite well for me, so we'll see.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1719 on: February 27, 2019, 05:50:08 PM »
Plants look great, Littlefish - you struck lucky there with your timing, etc!  :cheers:

I must have spent an hour yesterday intrigued by some behaviour in the fishtank which has started up again late this afternoon. One of my harlequins (Wee Harley) has a penchant for the snail food and likes to station herself above it, often alongside the other small harlequin (Little Harley); often they jostle for "food rights" and prime position immediately above the food pot. Occasionally, a neon green will try to station itself nearby but gets shooed out of the way. Yesterday, though, an x-ray stationed himself above the snail foodpot, with Wee Harley immediately above. All remained very calm and accepting between them both, with neither shooing the other out of the way.

What seemed to happen every ~10 minutes or so was that the x-ray started swooping and swerving over the snail food, then Wee Harley dived down underneath him, pecked the food and the x-ray avails of the debris she spills when chomping on it. Far, far more fascinating to watch than TV. This is rather similar to what the x-rays used to do with the pygmy cories - they learned to swim immediately behind them and avail of any food debris being dug up (although often took a bite out of their tails in their eagerness). Whoever would have thought the antics in a fishtank could be so engaging for so long!

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: