Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207739 times) 1923 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1620 on: October 19, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Why did I keep old plastic plants that were falling apart,
As someone who doesn't like throwing things out as I always think there may be, and indeed often is, a future use for them, I think plastic plants have a tendency to distintegrate and look awful when they've not actually been in the tank. When they're in the tank water, they're fine, but, after a period of being in box, they tend to dry out to such an extent that they look unsightly. Having said that, the ones which haven't disintegrated entirely in that time tend to resurrect themselves when put back in again.

I've noticed my x-rays (almost 4) and harlequins (3.5) have begun to show signs of ageing recently.
The one x-ray who tends not to get interlocked in battle with the others, each of whom have eye injuries, has shown a slight struggle to maintain buoyancy this week - not floating as such but having to wade vigorously to maintain being upright.
The 4 large harlequins could scarcely be distinguished from one another; however, in the past few weeks, one has become very thin with a flat / almost concave underside which makes his face/eyes look disproportionately large, while another developed a gash which evolved into a round and deep ulcer, almost identical to the one experienced by one of the female x-rays.
In view of these, plus the ongoing raggedly tails of a couple of the neon green rasboras, I dosed some Easylife Voogle this week. That resulted in the same as happened to the female x-ray tetra in that the ulcer developed a sprout of fungus out of it. That fell off and the wound/ulcer seems to be healing, for now at least.
Water quality all normal, so it must just be signs of ageing.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1621 on: October 24, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
The fish were about to be given a treat of brine shrimp for lunch to celebrate 4 years' tropical fishkeeping / arrival of the x-ray tetras. However, I noticed that one (neon green rasbora) fish had vanished since the morning count. Everything was removed from the tank, and out she floated from behind the filter once it was removed as a final resort. She had actually decomposed quite markedly since just 5 hours beforehand when enjoying breakfast as usual.

Really rather annoyed about this as I'd purchased watersafe magnets which were doing a fantastic job at keeping the filter tight against the glass and preventing the snails from pushing their way in there, so how on earth this fish ended up behind the filter when there seemed to be no gap anywhere nearly large enough to allow this to happen, I cannot fathom!
 :vcross:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1622 on: October 24, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rasbora.
I can't imagine how she managed to get behind the filter.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1623 on: October 26, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Sorry to hear this... I suppose it might have got pulled into that space after it passed??... still not good news  :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1624 on: October 26, 2018, 07:04:55 PM »
Still struggling to fathom how the fish ended up there but can only assume it was through being chased by another and/or a possible fright reaction - I've noticed that, in the mornings, the fish's shadows look extra large against that filter and my own shadow too. In fact, it's the same in the evening - my orange nerite fell off the glass when my shadow passed the tank yesterday evening and this isn't the first time this self-defence mechanism has occurred.

Anyway:
* I have now squeezed filter wool along the edges of the filter which will hopefully prevent a recurrence;
* after some deliberation over this, I have decided to top up the shoal of neon greens and will do so tomorrow, so fingers crossed...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1625 on: October 27, 2018, 02:39:17 PM »
In LFS. Argh- the temptation... 4 replacement microdevarios (sensible choice) or habrosus cories which I've been wanting for ages (but NB overstocking). Aaargh. A male betta is also very seriously tempting me... I'm going to end up "doing a Littlefish" and buying a new tank despite nowhere to put it...

Edited to add: Have had to come home, empty-handed, for a cold showerplay on the CC. Too much temptation in the LFS!

So, stocking-wise, to add: 6 habrosus = 104%; 4 microdevarios = 95%. Why do the heart and the head cause so much conflict in fishkeeping..?!

Meanwhile, due to my indecision, the filter media transferred into the QT filter is going to go dormant.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1626 on: October 27, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »
The microdevario are the best option. You already have some so getting more will make them 'happier'. All dwarf cories need at least 10, and that would be pushing it.
You'd need another tank for a betta as well  ;)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1627 on: October 27, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »
Thanks, Sue. My existing fish are messing with my mind, so I'm currently "feeding" fish food to the QT to keep the filter bacteria alive, while I decide whether or not to add the additional microdevarios. What you say makes perfect sense in theory although we do know that I have rather quirky fish that are a law unto themselves.

The harlequins have been shoaled up on one side of the tank for the past month or two. I've been wondering if it's because the juvenile microdevarios are too active by comparison and taking up most of the tank, and in the harlies' space at the top, so the harlies are seeking refuge and peace to the side and the x-rays at the bottom. Typical today that, possibly because we're now down to 4 very active fish, everyone's decided to come out a bit more and intermingle. Either that, or they've sussed from me moving equipment back and forth, that I'm setting up the QT in the spare room and they're trying to demonstrate that there's no need for any more fish as they're perfectly fine as they are!  ::)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1628 on: October 27, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Goby decided to bury himself in the sand at the front of the tank tonight!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1629 on: October 27, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
How cute is that little head peeking up! He looks like he's "swimming" through it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1630 on: October 27, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
I know I shouldn't have gobies (water flow not really high enough for them) but they are so adorable I can't help myself. Your photo is a good example of this adorableness  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1631 on: October 28, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
A couple of videos today:

Main tank - https://#youtu.be/LA0FHwt6d6c [remove # to watch] - fish now intermingling, much to my delight, rather than the active green ones taking over and resulting in everyone else at the sidelines.
Aware of a couple of problems ie cloudy-eyed tetra as previously mentioned (due to frequent sparring with shoal-mates) and skinny harlequin (attempting to feed through a pipette containing a mix of fishfood, crushed garlic and tank water but with little success).

QT - https://#youtu.be/XYTooqwlEc0 [remove # to watch] - some new additions, arrived today and settling in nicely for their month's quarantine.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1632 on: October 29, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
I've been keeping a very close eye on the newbies. All was well until mid-morning, when I suddenly only noticed 3. All eventualities have been covered with cable holes blocked with filter wool, etc, so checked the water surface, substrate, plants, etc, to no avail - then decided worth checking behind the filter even although it's absolutely tiny and the suction cups so flat against the tank wall that the gap created by them is no more than 1-2 mm. With no wallpaper on the side walls of the tank, it was easy to see - one of the microdevarios had wedged itself in there since I'd last looked in the tank not long beforehand. Thankfully, I managed to dislodge it without any adverse consequences. If this can happen with such a tiny filter, then it's no wonder one got lodged last week in the main tank near the larger suction cups which create a wider gap of maybe double that at 3-4mm. Argh - why do they like forcing themselves into small gaps?! I reckon I'm going to be up almost constantly during the night, checking the situation by torchlight...

All I can say is that, if this doesn't work out this time round, I think I'll have to stick to larger sized fish from now on where such scenarios are less likely to occur.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1633 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
Could you bring the filter away from the glass a bit so the gap is a bit bigger and they can't get wedged in?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1634 on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »
Your fish are looking very perky @fcmf   :)

I think Matt may have a good point about the filter.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1635 on: October 30, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
Thanks; I think I have 3 girls and 1 boy - same as the 4 microdevarios in the main tank. I can't stop doting on them.

I've tried experimenting with filter wool but am struggling to expand the gap - any other suggestions for keeping the filter attached to the wall but perhaps by some other means besides suction cups or magnets? I have given everyone a stern talking-to, though, and pleased to report that no such antics took place overnight or today so far.

Updated to add: Having had another episode of a fish lodging itself behind the QT filter yesterday evening, I made a concerted attempt to avoid this happening again. Filter wool was too malleable to do the trick but I found some sturdier foam and have managed to create a barrier. So far, so good - but I expect the filter will ultimately dislodge from the wall; however, better that than a fatality.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1636 on: November 01, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »
These new microdevarios have a lovely nature - all active but very harmonious so far, with no one character having taken control and sent others scattering. Tempting to keep them in the QT and have it set up as a permanent feature for well-behaved fish, potentially moving a few of similar nature across from the main tank. Not quite sure this suggestion of the QT as a permanent installation would go down very well with Mr FCMF, though.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1637 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
Great to hear that your fish are doing well. Your microdevarios are very cute.  ;D

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #1638 on: November 02, 2018, 05:53:50 PM »
Hello!
News update
I have now got several more debaui cats for the 240, some peppered corydoras, golden and red pencilfish and some double red apistos! 11 pearl danios complete the setup!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1639 on: November 02, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
Sounds great - please post some pics when everyone has settled in.  :)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: