Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207780 times) 1923 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1520 on: September 12, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just looking at boraras on seriously fish and quite enjoyed this comment under etymology:

"Boraras: anagram of the generic name Rasbora, in reference to the reversed ratio of abdominal and caudal vertebrae in this genus."

The Microdevario Kubotai haven't done well in my tank, so I don't think I'll be getting any more. Shame, I really liked them.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1521 on: September 15, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
Loving watching the added dynamic in the tank of the lively green neons. As all the fish did when they were younger, they're loving swimming into the filter outflow and getting buffeted backwards, then repeating this over and over.

The smallest harley (Wee Harley), admittedly always my fave fish although I ought not to have a favourite, is currently hovering protectively above the snail food, which she dives down to peck every now and again when she thinks no-one's watching. The smallest green neon is swimming much lower down than usual and seems to have taken a liking for it or its smell too but, every time he gets close, Wee Harley keeps chasing him away.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1522 on: September 15, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »
Sounds like everyone has settled in nicely.  :)
Any chance of some pictures?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1523 on: September 15, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 3
I'm a bit embarrassed about an extremely bright/garish silk plant in the tank, so I'll need to pluck up the courage to do this!

Edited to add: the newbies are scarcely visible in this one; will try another.
Re-edited to add: only seem to be able to see one newbie in this one.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1524 on: September 15, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »
Great to see your gang.   :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1525 on: September 15, 2018, 09:50:53 PM »
I think your tank looks fine  :) It doesn't matter if the plants are brightly coloured as long as the fish are happy to have somewhere to run and hide if that predator comes along. But they don't look as bright as you gave us the impression they were  ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1526 on: September 16, 2018, 12:07:04 AM »
I think your tank looks lovely too. I'm not sure which plant you mean being garishly pink. None of the plants in your tank seem any brighter than some of mine which are natural. (I'm thinking mainly of my lotus)

I'm also very jealous of your Microdevario Kubotai.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1527 on: September 16, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks for the kind comments, folks.

I think a video probably is best for viewing the fish: https#://youtu.be/E89fAnhF6O0 [remove the # to watch]
Edited to add a second video, this time with some of the reflection removed: https#://youtu.be/QfDSy0LXE8c [remove the # to watch]

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1528 on: September 16, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
@fcmf I had to watch the clip several times to have a good look at all of your gang.
Your fish certainly look very perky. 
Great stuff ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1529 on: September 16, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
Thanks, LF; second video now added as per link above, so should be easier to make the various gang members out.

Ah - to be able to add a shoal of cories to fill the bottom of the tank... but that would absolutely require an upgrade of tank size!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1530 on: September 16, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
Sounds like the perfect excuse for a bigger tank to me!  :raspberries

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1531 on: September 16, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
I agree.  ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1532 on: September 17, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
My fish have got very brave. I pruned the plants in the tank and at one point had both hands in up past my elbows. I'm fairly sure it was the rasboras, but I must have had half a dozen little fish "pecking" at my arm.

I have a jam jar for when I feed the fish with frozen food. I scoop up about an inch of tank water and drop the cube in, then when it's melted I pour the whole lot back in the tank. This morning, I scooped up water and put the jar down on the top of the tank to prod the cattapa leaf to sink, and then realised that someone was looking out of the jar at me! I think it was one of the female rainbows, but I was more intent on getting it back into the tank than confirming which of my fish was trying to hitch a lift!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1533 on: September 17, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
Sometimes inquisitive fish can make tank maintenance slightly more difficult, but it's quite nice to have them giving little nibbles when you put your hands in the tank.  ;D

As for the jam jar incident, that's hilarious.   :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1534 on: September 17, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
In my experience, rasboras are very inquisitive, so I wouldn't be in the least surprised if they were pecking at your arm. Despite half the tank being emptied at a time during water changes so that the fish have the other half to hide in, my harlies love coming out to have a look at the half being cleaned and pecking at the siphon tube. During their QT time, the neon greens shoaled up tight; when in the main tank, they overtook/replaced the harlies in the inquisitive stakes during their first water change. The x-rays stay away at all costs!

Isn't it just adorable when a little fish face is looking at you, whether from the jar (as in your case in this instance), when in the bag from the LFS (when all fish faces are watching), or when unfortunately in a hospital tank? Exactly the same look as "puppy dog eyes".

Offline Sue

« Reply #1535 on: September 17, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »
A word of caution about neon green rasboras and water changes. I accidentally sucked one up. When I netted it out of the bucket it must have been in a state of panic because it jumped out of the net. So I picked it up carefully with wet hands (I was in the garden so didn't have time to run in the house to get a paper towel). Amazingly, it was none the worse for its experience.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1536 on: September 17, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
The neon green rasboras are definitely experts at looking like foliage. Think that's why it took until I did some major pruning to confirm that I have none left.  :(

Looking at their preferred water conditions I can only guess that it is because my tank and other fish inhabitants are more or less blackwater fish, wereas the m. Kubotai prefer the faster flowing parts of the same waterways. (All the basic parameters suggest that they'd thrive in my tank). I would love to get more, but don't think it's fair. So I'll enjoy reading about @fcmf 's shoal with envy.  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1537 on: September 17, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
Oh @Helen sorry to hear about your neon green rasboras.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1538 on: September 17, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
@Helen, I haven't exactly had much luck so far with mine either, despite also having water parameters in line with their requirements, optimum water quality, careful acclimitisation into QT and mature media in the QT filter. Sometimes there are factors outside our control, which can be very frustrating.

If you look back earlier in this thread, you'll see that I lost one following its first night in the QT, one ended up on the carpet (for reasons I'm still scratching my head over), and one died the day after moving into the main tank, so I only have 5 out of the original 8. So many losses so early on is the worst experience I've had in my tropical fishkeeping. Hopefully the remaining 5 will do ok but one has a very straggly caudal fin and one has no caudal fin beyond its caudal peduncle, so I'm not confident how the situation will pan out. [I've had helpful advice here about replenishing the shoal but taking into account my strong reluctance to introduce newbies without quarantining, not wanting any more bickering if the existing 5 subsequently acquire 3 more tankmates, not wanting to cause any more upheaval by re-quarantining these 5 with 3 newbies and then re-integrating them into the main tank, not being confident based on my experience so far that the 3 newbies would remain 3, seeing how crowded the upper echelon of the tank is now, I'm going to leave it at 5 for at least the foreseeable future.]

So you're very welcome to share my neon green rasboras by proxy fishkeeping, in much the same way as I enjoy your lovely big tank, but I certainly can't promise that it will be smooth.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1539 on: September 17, 2018, 07:21:40 PM »
Dear All,
Please remember that we can't "control" nature.
We try our best to provide the best environments for our fishy friends, but we don't know what they have been through previously, or what state their general health is in.
We try our best, and it is still completely gutting when we have a loss.
I'm sure that many of us have been put off re-stocking certain species of fish due to problems, especially when we have done our research and our water parameters are smack bang in the middle of what is suggested by trusted sites and information.
We hear about people keeping fish for years in environments we thought were unsuitable, water parameters outside those we thought were ideal, and possibly even in tanks and/or environments very diferent to those we'd expect, or with other species we thought would be a problem.
Nature is a weird and wonderful thing, and even when we think we've done the right thing, there are problems. Sometimes we facepalm and learn from our mistakes, sometimes we can't get to the bottom of a problem, and keep beating ourselves up over what we could have done better.
Fish are awesome, and nature can be a bit of a bugger.
Big hugs to all having issues, and many thanks to those who have seen all of us through the ups and downs of being a newbie in the world of aquatics.  :)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: