Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206125 times) 1923 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1500 on: September 09, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Sorry to hear that the day has been so awful, with a neon passing and having to euthanise the other one.
Thankfully, the day is not quite so bad as that - the one I thought had passed away of its own accord, as it was lying motionless and semi-on-its-side and semi-upside-down, turned out not to be dead when I tried to lift it out with a net, so it's actually the same fish that was euthanised. Currently, there are still 5 of the neon greens, but for how much longer, I'm not sure.

Cloudy-eyed tetra's entire eye is completely covered in white now and it's quite prominent. Then I noticed something I've never noticed before in my x-rays - a torn caudal fin. Therefore, I decided it was time for a course of eSHa 2000 and I planned to transfer him to the QT. I'd been a bit hasty about the QT's filter's demise and the purchase of a new one - I hadn't realised the filter flow had a turn-down option and it was on the lowest setting :-[ so now have it purely for use as a QT filter and ideal for just a small number of fish. Anyway, suffice to say that those tetras are impossible to catch in the net. I had volunteers from both rasboras species but the tetras are too clever at escaping. So, if he hasn't succumbed by the next water change at the end of the week, I'll make another attempt to catch him then for treatment when there's no decor in the way.

It feels like I could do with a period of calm in the fishtank... No-one would ever believe that my water quality is 0,0,20 consistently!

You might be needing to drink some of that vodka yourself.
Indeed - I might just do that! I also plan not to look into the fishtank again this evening, for fear of what else I might discover.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1501 on: September 09, 2018, 08:00:21 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Still an unpleasant day for you, though one fish rather than two.

It seems like your tetra doesn't lack for energy when you're trying to catch him. I usually have to remove as much water as possible, as well as shift decor, when trying to catch fish. Yesterday I moved the dwarf puffers to a temporary tank so I could access some rocks in their tank, and those little puffers had me run ragged.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1502 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
For me a torn fin is not an excuse for quaranteen... interested to get views on this. I just do extra water changes for a period to ensure  best possible water quality.

I'm starting to wonder if my approach is a bit old school...

Offline Sue

« Reply #1503 on: September 09, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
My rice fish often have bits missing from their tail fins. I just leave them in the tank without medication. I am pretty sure it's caused by sparring in the males, and being chased by males in the females' tails. None of the other species are affected so it's not a disease.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1504 on: September 09, 2018, 09:39:45 PM »
For me a torn fin is not an excuse for quaranteen... interested to get views on this.
It's more the fact that the entire eye is cloudy now and protruding considerably, while the torn fin (caused presumably by the almost incessant male sparring with the blind-eyed tetra) was "the final straw". Years ago, my goldfish developed a white covering over his eye which started protruding towards the end, among other problems - my biggest regret still is not having used the Waterlife Myxazin which had been underneath the tank as I think it had developed into a secondary bacterial infection but didn't know enough back then. I was assuming the same might be happening in the case of the x-ray tetra. The tetras are behaving as though constitutionally well, though, so if best not to bother quarantining, happy with that - it may well be that, following treating the fish in quarantine, the cloudy eye would just recur immediately on the first spat with the blind-eyed tetra in which case it would be relatively pointless (as was the case back in ?May and the cloudy eye has been present ever since).

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1505 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
All looking much more settled/established in the tank today - phew.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1506 on: September 10, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
Glad to hear that  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1507 on: September 10, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Good news :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1508 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:51 PM »
Now I just need me to settle down too - I think my heart skips a beat every time I glance into the tank and see a piece of green plant/foliage against the filter intake, then I let out a sigh of relief when I realise it's not a neon green rasbora!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1509 on: September 10, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »
That sort of mild panic takes a while to wear off.
Great to hear that your tank is settling down.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1510 on: September 11, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have had a surprise.

I have done a water change today, and decided to lift the wood with Bolbitis attached, which I don't usually do because the plant is so big and floppy. Underneath the wood was a pygmy cory  :o I thought they had all died, but no, I still have one left  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1511 on: September 11, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Good grief, @Sue - how old might the pygmy cory be? Is it not years ago since you had them ie it may be that this one's been alive in there for several years without you knowing?! (...or is my ailing memory getting confused with timescales...?)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1512 on: September 11, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
Consulting my book, I moved 7 cories from the 50 litre tank on 20 September 2016. These comprised 2 remaining from a group bought 21 September 2015 and 5 bought 27 August 2016. I can't remember now but presumably the two bought in 2015 were a lot bigger than the ones I'd bought only 3 to 4 weeks earlier.

Since they were moved into the main tank I have found a total of 3 bodies and one skeleton. The last body found was 16 July this year and I had assumed that was the last one. There are still 2 unaccounted for, which I've always assumed died and were consumed, and the skeletons fell apart so I didn't recognise what they were during a water change.
The trouble is I have so much wood in this tank that bottom dwellers are impossible to see.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1513 on: September 11, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
That's amazing @Sue and such a lovely surprise.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1514 on: September 11, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »
Great news!!!  :fishy1:

Any plans afoot to restock with them?  :raspberries

Offline Sue

« Reply #1515 on: September 11, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
I don't intend to get any more cories. When I restocked the 180 litre a few years ago I got fish from Asia, and I intended to stick to that area. When I closed the 50 litre I only moved the south American fish -  Boraras (2 maculatus and 4 briggitae/urophthalmoides, never sure which) and the cories - into the 180 litre because they had nowhere else to go. At least the cherry shrimp, which were also in the 50 litre, fit in with the Asian theme.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1516 on: September 11, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
I think the bororas also fit in with the Asian theme.  ;)

In my tank today, the neon greens have finally realised that chopped pea is food. I tried it in the QT a couple of times but only one seemed to realise what it was and the rest were too slow before it fell to the substrate, which they don't eat from.  Today, however, I fed it for dinner as I noticed 3/5 neon greens were constipated - whether that had anything to do with it or not (ie they instinctively knew it would cure their condition), they seemed to know immediately what to do when the chopped pea fell in and there was much excitement all round. The harlies normally get excited by it but, goodness, this neon greens' behaviour was on a whole new level.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1517 on: September 11, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
You are quite right  :-[ B. maculatus is from Malaysia, B brigittae from Borneo, and B. urophthalmoides from Thailand. I don't feel nearly as bad about them being in there now  ;D I have no idea why I thought they were south American  ???

Maybe the green neons saw the harlies starting to eat the peas and then they realised it was food  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1518 on: September 11, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
I have no idea why I thought they were south American  ???
I think it's very easy to see fish of similar size/stature as naturally compatible in a tank and consequently the fact that they're from different regions blurs into a less important characteristic - that's my theory on it, anyway.  :)

The neon greens have assumed the uppermost strata of the tank, relegating the harlies to the strata immediately below that, and the x-rays much lower down. Therefore, the neon greens get first pecking order at the food. On this occasion, I don't think it was learned behaviour from the harlies, unless the harlies got excited on hearing the chopping sound (which is altogether very possible) which pre-alerted the neon greens to food-time, or possibly more likely the neon greens have learned what lid-opening usually means and were going to eat whatever dropped in, whether it was edible or not.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1519 on: September 11, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
I had them under the Cory banner in my head... this has surprised me too... seems so obvious now!

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: