Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206781 times) 1923 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2016, 02:05:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Oh dear, @Littlefish - just noticed your new 'signature' re TTC. Anything we can help with?

Offline Sue

« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »
What a morning.

It was time to do something with the 180 litre.

I finished adding WS3 at high dose on 26 June, and started eSHa Exit on 28 June. I emptied the bottle of Exit on 4 July. The first batch of carbon went in on 5 July, and it was changed on 7 July.

All that's in the tank at the moment is lots of wood with various plants attached and no substrate. The filters are an Eheim biopower 240 and a biopower 160 with the pump from an Eheim aquaball 2212. The aquaball is the first I had and as I'm not using that filter at the moment I used its pump when I got the smaller biopower.

Everything went well at first. I took all the wood out and put it in my fishkeeping dustbin (it is a dustbin, it's 60 litres and very useful for putting wet things in when I need to take them out of the tank). Then removed 64 litres water, hoovering the mess off the bottom of the tank, and replaced it with nice clean water. I threw away the carbon from the small filter I keep just for that, and replaced it with Polyfilter to remove the last of the meds. I cleaned the two biopowers, both media and impellers and wells. Then I turned the filters and heater back on. The smaller biopower didn't work.
A lot of messing about proved that the pump worked without the cover on but wouldn't work with the cover on. OK, I though, just swap the pump for the one that came with the filter and play with the old one in a bucket of water later.
That's not as easy as it sounds.
The 180 litre has glass bracer bars attached to all four sides right at the top of the tank. The front one overlaps the side bars but the back one doesn't; there is a square that is not covered at each rear corner. This is for the heater wire and external filter tubes to get into the tank. There are two holes in the back of the lid for these to go through. But my filters are internals, the wires from them need to go through these squares and lid cut outs. The filters themselves won't fit through so I have to push the plugs upwards through the squares and out through the lid holes. And I'd just filled the tank.
So I then had to remove 20 litres of water to drop the water level enough to get the plugs through, one in and one out.

I finally finished two after two and a half hours. The tank is filled again and all three filters are running. At least I don't have any fish in there or they'd have been cowering in a corner while I was trying to get the filter pump to work.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »
@Sue  I have had the problem with trying to get plugs through small gaps in bits around the top of the tank. It's very frustrating, especially if you have to take water out to move anything around.

@fcmf  Nothing to worry about. I've just got a lot of temporary tanks on the go. I've moved Sherbon and Humbug off the cabinet. I've moved the cabinet out, and managed to get the cabinet for the 340L tank in. Have decided that Tim @ MA was right (don't tell anyone) and that I shouldn't be doing any of the lifting on my own. So tank and lid still in hallway. Obviously Harry is still in a small tank, and I've had to get another small tank to take 3 of my female danios out of their normal tank. They are a bit constipated/bloated so I tried the whole tank on peas a few days ago. The danios looked better, but look as if they could either do with another does of peas, or a couple of days of fasting. As I don't want to put all the fish through that I have to move the three fatties to another tank (with no food today).
So I have 1 empty tank, 13 occupied tanks,3 of which are temporary, and three others which will have to be moved before the 220L upgrade for the dwarf puffers arrives.
Things are just slightly chaotic.  ???

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
@Littlefish I hope you're ok. I found that a new tank isnt always the solution, a hospital or quarantine tank can hold a good number of fish that need nurturing. <3

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
@Fiona  everything is fine here.
I've put the fish all in different tanks because otherwise I'd have had dwarf puffers (always hungry), a bristlenose with a nipped tail (feeling sorry for himself), and 3 chubby female danios (on a no food/pea diet) all in the same tank. It just got a bit complicated.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »
 :cheers: glad you're ok Donna

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
Thanks.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
Thanks.
It's all good here. Harry has another couple of algae stones, and everyone else (apart from the fatties) have had some food and are now pottering around.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2016, 12:53:37 PM »
Great!

Not much different news to report here but, true to her namesake, S's tank-coverage skills and collection of trophies (ie food morsels) are unsurpassable. Slightly concerned that she's going to burst as she's so large - semi-tempting to move her out of the tank for a few days to give everyone else a chance to get fed and her a chance to slim down!

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2016, 09:55:36 PM »
90 mins of tank maintenance this evening (barely managed to finish up before the football kicked off...)

80 litres water change and airstone added. Previously it was just an open ended hose under the wee castle so that the bubbles came out through the window. Quirky but kinda cool. But the glub-glub noise the bubbles made was annoying me so I've added an airstone to reduce the noise. Much better now.  :D

Since I had eight 10-litre buckets to add I decided to go with 4 buckets at 25C and 4 buckets full cold from the tap. For the hour after I filled the tank you would think I had topped it up with lucozade!! I've never seen such frenzied activity from the fish!  :o :o

It was slightly concerning at first but I told myself to calm down and see if they calm down. Which they have.

I changed out the fine filter wool with some new stuff I was kindly gifted from @fcmf ... many thanks again for this. It has already made a difference. God knows how long the previous wool had been in there. I love a clear tank  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Sue

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
Cooler water does trigger behaviour changes. With cories it can get them to breed (it simulates melt water coming off the mountains in spring, I assume the same would apply to other fish).
I use more cold tap water in summer as it's not nearly as cold as in the middle of winter.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
Going to malaysia 2 weeks time. How will i feed my cats and my dad's tank. Any ideas!?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
The tank will be fine for two weeks - I've often left mine that long.

The cats... either a cattery, or have you a neighbour who could pop in once a day and top up their crunchies?

Malaysia, eh? Sounds like a good hols.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »

The cats... either a cattery, or have you a neighbour who could pop in once a day and top up their crunchies?

By cats i meant my CATFISH!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »

By cats i meant my CATFISH!

:rotfl:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »
Would not advise feeding your catfish Munchies.  :rotfl:

Went to LFS, they have baby hillstream loaches, so cute. Stood watching them for ages.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
@apache6467  Is everyone in the family going? Do you have neighbours you would trust to go in your house?

If you can arrange someone to go in even a couple of times when you are away that would be enough. But measure out the food onto tubs and tell the person to just empty the tub in the tank. Hide the packs of food just in case they think you should be feeding more and over feed them.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
...or, alternatively, you could get an auto-feeder. I use Fishmate auto-feeder; @Matt uses an Eheim one.

Offline Sue

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
If you do use an autofeeder, test it before you go. Some types drop all the food in at once, others let damp air in so the food clogs and won't go into the tank.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: