Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207852 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1460 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Wow - this all sounds very exciting indeed; looking forward to seeing "before and after" type pics. I'll be embarrassed to post any pics of my own tank from now on, though, for fear that Matt recoils in horror (especially as I'm now about 60% silk, 40% real plants - thank goodness the fish quite like the extra coverage provided by the silk ones).

Nothing wrong with silk plants. I had them for years in my goldfish tanks. Don't be afraid to post your photos @fcmf  I am often jealous of the fishkeeping skills i see on this forum, they far exceed mine. I don't see half the things you see your fish do so I don't catch things soon enough to treat them. My tank is a bit more "circle of life" than some might like - i only found 1 of the three harlies I just lost for example... and about 4 of the 12 galaxy rasboras I had when it was first set up (they are all gone now).

By the way how are your rasboras doing?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1461 on: August 28, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
By the way how are your rasboras doing?
The original harlequins in the main/established tank seem to (touchwood) be doing fine - so much so that I'm slightly getting cold feet about moving the new green ones across for fear of upsetting the equilibrium (but know I have to as the QT is too small for them).
The 6/8 surviving neon greens vary in size from 1-3cm (minus tail), so quite a bit of variation. It looks as though I might have 4 females and 2 males. They spend all their time at the surface, above the silk plants. They seem to be doing fine although one has missing forked parts of its tail, one has missing upper forked part of its tail, and one is very skinny; the first and third of these behave quite nervously although the third one seems to be the one with the largest appetite. The aforementioned first and third ones are quite nervous when the tank lid opens (eg to remove water for water testing, do a partial water change to retrieve fallen food, to remove the ailing filter for fixing) - in fact, after the weekend's incident, I'm actually not sure whether they or I are shaking more with nerves in such instances. Just hoping the new filter, when it arrives, isn't too powerful for them or creates any unforeseen problems.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1462 on: August 29, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »
Best of luck with your new filter, I hope the fish like it.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1463 on: August 29, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
Filter delivered and successfully installed (Eheim Pick-up 45), and media transferred into it, with no-one leaping out in the process. My heart rate has risen, though, for fear that someone might!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1464 on: August 29, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
So far so good @fcmf;D
Fingers crossed that your little ones learn not to be quite so acrobatic.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1465 on: August 29, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »
Yep, everyone seems quite content - phew.
:fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1466 on: August 31, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »
Morning all.  :)

We seem to have had quite a bit of bad news over the past few weeks, so let's hope that everyone is ok, and that all fishy friends are doing well.

It's a new day, and there's lots to do. The hospital tank had a thorough clean yesterday, so today it will be put back into use to grow algae on rocks on the windowsill. I've emptied some other tanks, so now have buckets of wet sand everywhere (one day the house will be tidy, but probably only for that one day). I've moved a few empty tanks around, and had a serious think about what should go where during the reorganisation - it will include building some new cabinets, which I hope I'll get right this time.

I'll also have to set up several more quarantine tanks. I've had 3 annaieae gobies reserved at one of the MA's for a couple of months, so I need to get them soon. I'd also paid for them to order another 3, but last week one of the guys at the other MA said he was closing down one of his tanks, had 4 annieae gobies, and did I want them. Can anyone guess how I reacted to that question?  ;D

I also squealed when I saw a tank full of young figure 8 puffers, and went over to have a chat with them. Yes, I have no shame, and will say things like "hello gorgeous" to a tank of fish, in front of the staff. I think they're used to it now (staff and fish). I would just like to point out that I didn't buy a puffer, just in case anyone was wondering.

So, lots of tank cleaning to do today, and lots of planning for future set ups. It's also time to give @Matt a shout and start giving him some idea of said plans.  :)

Wishing everyone a good day.  :fishy1:

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1467 on: August 31, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
I can't wait to see the pictures of your soon to be aquascape' this aquascaping has really caught my attention and i really have a thing for the IWAGUMI  style aquascaping. I think i just love mountain type scenery  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1468 on: August 31, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
In that case - look up diorama aquascapes!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1469 on: September 01, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
I collected the 3 gobies yesterday, they are tiny. They are settling in to their quarantine tank.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1470 on: September 01, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
So, lots of tank cleaning to do today, and lots of planning for future set ups. It's also time to give @Matt a shout and start giving him some idea of said plans.  :)

Well we're off to a good start hopefully!
See www.scapeeasy.co.uk/advice.htm

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1471 on: September 02, 2018, 02:00:39 AM »
Just back from a lovely holiday that included a trip to the Oceanarium in Lisbon. The temporary exhibition was Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano . I was gutted that I didn't get to go in (I only had a ticket for the permanent exhibition - which was amazing anyway). I'm even more gutted now I've looked up the promo!

https://www.oceanario.pt/en/exhibitions/temporary-exhibition/

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1472 on: September 02, 2018, 06:29:30 AM »
I'm gutted for you too!!  :vcross:

I hope you had a fantastic break. Are all of your aquatic family members ok?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1473 on: September 02, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
OMG! Even just looking at the pictures makes me feel so calm and relaxed.

I'm glad to hear that the permanent exhibition was amazing. I hope the rest of the trip was just as good.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1474 on: September 02, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
The rest of the trip was fabulous too, thank you. Included a tourist submarine (yellow!) dive. Which although couldn't possibly compare to scuba diving, was a great way to show my kids non captive fish.

As far as I can tell all my fish are fine. I'm not particularly good at counting them, so I can never be 100% sure, but there are no glaring omissions.

Having more or less unpacked, I'm hoping to get some tank maintenance done today. Now I don't have a 2 week absence in my calendar, I would like to get some more kuhlis and m. Kubotai. The latter I plan to keep in the hospital / quarantine tank for at least a month so that they're not so tiny when they go in my main tank. I'm hoping that (and a piece of sponge in my filter inlet) will mean that they don't all mysteriously disappear.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1475 on: September 03, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »
My main tank is in the dining room and whilst eating dinner this evening I noticed a very dark fish. I do not have any dark fish  ??? Looking closer, I realised that two male ricefish had become darker and their anal and tail fins were almost black instead of pale blue. They were also rather tattered.
I did a water change this afternoon, then fed them daphnia. I know these fish spawn all the time as shown by the eggs hanging from the females, but did the water change spark some sort of dominance issue with the males? Did one want all the girls for himself?

An hour later, their colour is slowly returning to pale blue, which may be influenced by the first of the two lights having turned off.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1476 on: September 03, 2018, 08:12:59 PM »
Wow, it certainly sounds as if your boys have had a bit of an incident. I hope things have settled down now.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1477 on: September 03, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Glad you had a successful trip, @Helen - oh, to live in a mansion and have a tank like that temporary exhibition one installed in one of the rooms...

Goodness, @Sue, that's quite a difference from pale blue to almost dark. Two of my three male x-ray tetras seem to be almost constantly sparring - one has a cloudy eye and one has a blind/transparent eye on a permanent basis now - but this seems relatively minor by comparison to your ricefish.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1478 on: September 05, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
In that case - look up diorama
aquascapes!               

thanks Matt they look amazing'' I been following your blog and it looks as if Donna is doing a really good job.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1479 on: September 05, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
Thanks @Rustle

--> @Littlefish see above!!

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: