Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207577 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1420 on: August 20, 2018, 04:01:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've just got back from my hols... eveyone is ok except my harlequins. I had 3 old harlequins (3 of the first fish I ever bought) and 2 new ones. I now have just 2 old ones looking quite lonely.  I suspect the new harlequins were part of a bad batch as I lost others quite quickly when i first introduced them to various ailments the other tank inhabitants never picked up and their colouring never seemed quite right and hey didnt grow much so I suspect they were inbred or something. The old guy I'm pretty confident died of old age as he was floating on my return  :-\. No sign if the younger ones... suspect my clean up crew has been at work!..

I hope there isn't something more sinister going on. I can't believe there would be for the hardest fish to die off first. Fingers crossed anyways.

Not sure what to do with the 2 remaining harlequins now. They don't seem comfortable in such small numbers but I suspect they don't have long either... im torn between restocking them as i really like their different body shape and colouring etc. or keeping the number of species in the tank down and increasing numbers of existing fish...

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #1421 on: August 20, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
Sorry to hear about your harlies @Matt
Deciding what to do with a depleted shoal can be quite difficult, especially if you don't feel confident about how long the others are going to keep going.
I hope that you had a good holiday.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1422 on: August 20, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Sorry to hear about the harlequins matt.I must admit i love these fish i think it's the way they school together tightly backwards and forwards that makes me like them so much.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1423 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
In that case you should try rummynose tetra... they are even better for this!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1424 on: August 20, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
I don't know what it is about rummynose tetras, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them. Even though they seem to have quite understated markings, I think that they are very pretty.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1425 on: August 20, 2018, 09:58:54 AM »
I'm not sure my water parameters are right for them.I have a ph 7.5 and it says they need 7.0 and i think my water is a bit hard at 10 dgh. I do like the look of them tho.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #1426 on: August 20, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
Both real rummy noses http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rhodostomus/ and false rummy noses http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-bleheri (the species most likely to be sold as rummies) are fine up to GH 15. Though Seriously Fish does comment their colours are a bit faded at pH above 7.0.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #1427 on: August 20, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about your harlies @Matt

Ditto that...  Lovely little fish indeed... :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1428 on: August 20, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
Not sure what to do with the 2 remaining harlequins now. They don't seem comfortable in such small numbers but I suspect they don't have long either... im torn between restocking them as i really like their different body shape and colouring etc. or keeping the number of species in the tank down and increasing numbers of existing fish...
Very sorry to read the news about your harlequins, @Matt. :'(

As to the course of action to take, I'd probably wait to see how the situation pans out over the next few weeks. My x-ray tetras are now down to 3 in number but, following the initial week or two after the most recent death, seem to be integrating well with the 6 harlequins and not showing any signs of distress. Obviously, I wouldn't advocate keeping such a small number if they were younger but they seem quite content/relaxed in the company of the harlequins, as though they're all part of the same gang, possibly because they've all been in one another's company for 3+ years and thus are used to it. Most fish are dotted around singly, in pairs or small groups at various locations around the tank at various times of the day, and sometimes this can be 2-3 harlequins or a 'pairing' of an x-ray and a harlequin or 2 harlequins plus an x-ray, etc. It's only when lights go off that they tend to congregate in species-specific shoals and even that changes after the first half hour or so. Hope that might provide some reassurance. [It will be interesting to see the dynamics when the microdevario kubotais move into the main tank - I'm inclined to think that this new gang may hang around together, while the old gang remain together, rather than the two rasbora shoals intermingling and leaving the 3 x-rays out 'in the cold'.] If, however, your harlequins show signs of distress (eg hiding, not eating) due to being in such small numbers, then perhaps it is worth increasing their shoal numbers.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1429 on: August 20, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
Well there's certainly no signs of stress showing yet.... ill keep an eye out. I think it is more me thinking that two not swimming together looks odd than they are necessarily 'unhappy'.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1430 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:32 AM »
The 2 remaining Harlies seem just fine. They are 2 males though as they are disply fighting. They spend a lot of time apart as well though so i think they are happy enough.

I went to the LFS yesterday evening for a little aquascaping project ive been doing... and i saw dwarf pencil fish... they might have made my mind up for me. I think im going to be replacing the harlequins ive lost with a group of them! From what I saw in store the dwarf pencilfish were all at the surface, which would be great as im missing something in this area currently. The rocket killifish id previously considered were distributed more evenly around the tank (as they have been when I've seen them previously in other stores). The internet is not helping confirm if this will be the norm or not...

I had a proper kid in a sweet shop moment,  they also had golden eye dwarf cichlids which id not seen before and Im going to have to get before I never see them again. I went in thinking about increasing the number of Rams I have - I might leave this till after I see how the golden eyes do. If not ill get another pair only (believe me I had a tank full of them in my sweetie shop head yesterday!). The ones they had were labelled as Czech rams which had me excited, but this looks to just be where they were bred, no other difference form my research.

I can't decide if I prefer ember tetras or chilli rasboras. I do want a smaller species in the tank again after the loss of my galaxy rasboras a while back.

Oh dear...

I already spent quite enough on the aquascaping project stuff!...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1431 on: August 23, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Oh dear......I wonder if anyone ever "grows out" of the "kiddie in a sweet shop" feeling, or if it's just a matter of keeping it under control, or running out of space.
Just had a quick look at SF to check out dwarf pencil fish - nice markings. I should imagine that a group of them would look amazing.
Sounds like you'll be doing a big shop at your LFS very soon.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #1432 on: August 23, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
I've had dwarf pencilfish before. They do stay in the upper half of the tank and tend to hover a lot which makes them an unusual addition to the tank. I have read people say they can be aggressive but I never found this.

The cichlids - Nannacara anomala? Just to warn you it is not a good idea to have more than one species of cichlid in a tank.....

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1433 on: August 23, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
I know that "child in a sweet shop" sensation - my salivary glands actually go into overdrive in such circumstances in a LFS, especially when I've allowed the metaphorical door to open re buying fish as per recently after several years of not being able to add to the tank.

I can't decide if I prefer ember tetras or chilli rasboras.
Both are really lovely. A couple of thoughts based on my own recent experience and thoughts:
* ember tetras seem more readily available, so could always be a future fish, whereas maybe the opportunity should be taken while the chilli rasboras are available;
* is there any possibility that the smaller stature of the chilli rasboras might pose a problem (eg: could they fit in the mouths of the existing fish; could they become trapped in the side of the filters if you have any internals and where it might not be conducive to stuffing filter wool)?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1434 on: August 23, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
Both lovely fish, that's a tough choice.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1435 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:21 PM »
@Sue thanks for the tip 're pencil fish being decent surface dwellers. Im going to reserve some timrrow to be sure i can still get them on Sunday. I am currently mixing apistogrammas and migrogeophagus... I too have see the advice about mixing cichlids, I've also seen a lot of people doing it successfully... mine dont exactually swim around together like happy families, but they are not 'physical' with each other - more 'im the boss remember' than 'im going to beat you up'. Do you have any experience  with mixing particular species?

My research told me that different cichlids communicate with each other through behaviour and coloration. The same species of fish caught in different locations apparently can have different languages to each other and get confused and aggressive. The same principle applies to different species as well of course though their languages are so different they simply don't understand each other. I only mention this because I think it is absolutely fascinating! I have no idea if it's right or wrong!

@fcmf shouldn't be anything that would put chilli raabora at risk in the tank. My LFS didn't actually have the chilli raabora in but I know that aqualife Leyland does. It would depend if they had enough for quite a large shoal as I'd like to get at least 12. I'll have to make a trip down there (always worth a visit anyway) and try be be focussed on them and not all the other fish back in sweetie shop mode! (No chance - I want to look at their filters anyways!...)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1436 on: August 24, 2018, 07:43:29 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your pencil fish when you get them into your tank.  :)

A large shoal of chilli rasbora will also look amazing. Obviously you will need to post loads of pics of them when they settle in. Please.

I'm not sure I get the kiddie in a sweet shop feeling when I go to a shop. I think I get more a sort of Maria in the Sound of Music, running in with arms outstretched, but instead of "the hills are alive...", I'm more "mine, all mine, I want them all", while twirling around. Good job it's just a feeling, and not an actual physical display.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #1437 on: August 24, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »
@Matt The main 'language' problems are with cichlids from different continents, but I can also see that there would be slight differences between cichlids from different parts of the same continent.
It is a definite problem mixing fish from Africa and America (assuming they liked the same type of water)
and I know that fish from the Rift Lakes should be kept only with cichlids from the same lake. But I have no idea how much of a problem it would be keeping fish from different rives in, say, south America. The usual reason for not keeping more than one species of S American cichlids is territorial - tanks tend to too small for 2 species. I will admit to having kept Bolivian rams and cockatoo cichlids in a 125 litre tank years ago, but your tank is double that  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1438 on: August 24, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
I'm not sure I get the kiddie in a sweet shop feeling when I go to a shop. I think I get more a sort of Maria in the Sound of Music, running in with arms outstretched, but instead of "the hills are alive...", I'm more "mine, all mine, I want them all", while twirling around. Good job it's just a feeling, and not an actual physical display.  ;D
:rotfl: This made me chuckle so much that I inhaled my morning coffee! Perhaps we could create "Thinkfish - the musical" and write some songs to illustrate fishkeepers' experiences of the hobby...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1439 on: August 24, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
@Matt The main 'language' problems are with cichlids from different continents, but I can also see that there would be slight differences between cichlids from different parts of the same continent.
It is a definite problem mixing fish from Africa and America (assuming they liked the same type of water)
and I know that fish from the Rift Lakes should be kept only with cichlids from the same lake. But I have no idea how much of a problem it would be keeping fish from different rives in, say, south America. The usual reason for not keeping more than one species of S American cichlids is territorial - tanks tend to too small for 2 species. I will admit to having kept Bolivian rams and cockatoo cichlids in a 125 litre tank years ago, but your tank is double that  :)

Thanks @Sue that's really interesting and possibly explains why my agassizi and rams are doing ok - they do understand each other! (as my observations also indicated now I think about it).  Ive just looked up the N. anomala which are also from South America so I'm still planning to give this a go... I have seen an MA big display tank full of various species of dwarf cichlid (very possibly all south American but my memory isn't good enough - I cant even remember which store it was) which they were running without problem - again the fish had a hierarchy sorted out and would display to each other, make aggressive movements, but no damage done.  I am wondering though what stress levels this would put the fish under though so I definitely don't think that I should go for more than the three species.

@Littlefish - I love the hills are alive thing  -its probably a more accurate description of my visit actually!!!  I bought hardscape, ferts, plants and reserved fish... if only I'd have bought a tank a could have gone the 'whole hog'!!!

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: