Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 205904 times) 1923 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1400 on: August 06, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks, @Fishbeard. It looked as though 7 were going to become 6 yesterday afternoon as one fish was hanging around on one side of the tank, breathing faster and occasionally throwing kamikaze-like fits against the tank glass; however, I dosed a small amount of Easylife Voogle, after which the situation seems to have rectified itself (touchwood!).

As for the answer to your question, I suspect they might feed off dead/dying plant leaves but I think @Matt or @Littlefish might be your best bets on helping with this.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1401 on: August 06, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
There are many reasons not to keep dying plant leaves. Including the fact that they cannot repair themselves, they will worsen water quality, they look unattractive etc etc.
There are fewer reasons to keep them. Perhaps the shrimp might gain some sustinance from eating the leaves but you may also get more algae in the tank from the nutrients released into the water columns as the leaf rots.
Overall my vote would be to remove them. Leave your shrimp to focus on anybody's and algae etc.

@fcmf sorry about your unfortunate turn of events. Fingers crossed the rest of your crew will do well in your excellent care.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1402 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:55 PM »
I agree with removing the leaves for the reasons that Matt has listed.
Also, shrimp are not miracle workers, and it would take them such a long time to eat a large dead leaf.
I think that their efforts are best spent pottering around, looking adorable, and munching on any uneaten food or algae in the tank.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1403 on: August 06, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
I have just done a water change on both tanks with the help of my husband to carry the buckets. The only complaint was that the old water buckets were too full, and he'd rather carry more buckets with less water in each. He also had chance to water all his garden plants with tank water  ;D

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #1404 on: August 06, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »
Thanks for that, guys. My shrimp aren't miracel workers, but they're hungry little guys. I've seen them zoom in and snatch food from the Corys before now...

I have just done a water change on both tanks with the help of my husband to carry the buckets. The only complaint was that the old water buckets were too full, and he'd rather carry more buckets with less water in each. He also had chance to water all his garden plants with tank water  ;D

On that note, there's something I've wondered occasionally - is tank water better for the garden, or are the quantities of nitrate (along with fish waste and uneaten food) in tank water not nearly substantial enough to offer any significant improvement over ordinary tap water?

Offline Sue

« Reply #1405 on: August 06, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »
At the moment, it's a matter of water conservation to pour the old tank water over the garden plants, particularly in areas with a hosepipe ban. In winter our garden is usually too water logged to add more.

There is also a school of thought that says we shouldn't pour tank water down the drain because any pathogens in our tanks will end up in the rivers. In the UK, that shouldn't be much of a risk unless we pour it down a surface water drain. The drain that sink and toilet water go down should be thoroughly disinfected at sewage treatment works.

And yes, there will some nitrate in tank water together with any plants fertiliser we add that the plants don't get. Not to mention potassium and phosphate from fish food.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1406 on: August 07, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
Thanks for that, guys. My shrimp aren't miracel workers, but they're hungry little guys. I've seen them zoom in and snatch food from the Corys before now...

Mine often zoom in a take mini wafers, then carry then off to the top of a piece of wood to eat them in peace. They are amazing little creatures.

On that note, there's something I've wondered occasionally - is tank water better for the garden, or are the quantities of nitrate (along with fish waste and uneaten food) in tank water not nearly substantial enough to offer any significant improvement over ordinary tap water?

I've been using tank water in my garden. I've got a long hose that I attach to the port on the FX external filters that makes emptying the larger tanks so much easier, and perfect for watering containers and raised beds. As for being better than tap water, I don't know, but the cucumbers I've been growing have done really well on nothing but tank water, and I use the cucumbers (with a few algae wafers stuck in them) to feed the river tank inhabitants, and the plecs in the other tanks.  :)

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #1407 on: August 07, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
I've been using tank water in my garden. I've got a long hose that I attach to the port on the FX external filters that makes emptying the larger tanks so much easier, and perfect for watering containers and raised beds. As for being better than tap water, I don't know, but the cucumbers I've been growing have done really well on nothing but tank water, and I use the cucumbers (with a few algae wafers stuck in them) to feed the river tank inhabitants, and the plecs in the other tanks.  :)

Very "circle of life" that!

Our hosepipe ban in the north was cancelled, but that's no excuse for wasting water, so the tank water's been going out in the garden anyway. I just wondered if it was that much better - we're all striving to keep nitrate low, so even 40ppm, which is considered high within the fishkeeping community, is relatively low as a pure number. Glad to hear it's doing wonders for others though!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1408 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
Yesterday I went to a local branch of MA to pick up some silicone to attach the last "anubias shelf" in the axolotl tank. Obviously I had a quick look around as well.  ::)
They had young grass carp in the corner pond tank with the glass walls. I was smitten with them, especially the one who was yawning, it was adorable.
Luckily, as they are pond fish that grow to be quite huge, I can't consider them.
The adults look very different to the juvenilles, and aren't quite so cute. So , all things considered, I'm quite glad I can't have them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1409 on: August 10, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
 :yikes: Littlefish didn't buy any fish!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1410 on: August 10, 2018, 09:15:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
 :rotfl:
I will have to go back to see them again, give them a feed, and just enjoy looking at them in the shop.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1411 on: August 17, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
I've been to Cardiff this week, and also took the opportunity for a few day trips.
One day trip was to Bristol Aquarium. The soundtrack to the day was Denise saying "no, you can't have a tank that size".  :-\

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1412 on: August 18, 2018, 01:03:44 AM »
that's a great ray photo!

I have a similar trip in the making... an old work colleague is going to start working at sea life shortly and has promised me a behind the scenes tour!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1413 on: August 18, 2018, 07:04:56 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
That ray is called Ravioli, and he was very persistent at feeding time.

All displays were great, and the marine tank was huge.

The sea horse tank was fascinating, especially at feeding time..

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1414 on: August 18, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »
Absolutely love these photos, @Littlefish!

Sounds like a great outing in the offing, @Matt!

:fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #1415 on: August 18, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
And I just get to Beamish - coal mines etc. Not a fish in sight  :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1416 on: August 18, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
Very occasionally, the fish all huddle up together. I thought perhaps one of the nerites was hang-gliding off a floating plant above. However, and linked with another current thread on the issue, I suspect they can smell / detect the sea bass that's being cooked for Mr FCMF's dinner. While cooking is underway in the kitchen, I'm attempting to settle the nerves (or whatever it is) of my gang in the fishtank in the living-room.
 ::)

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #1417 on: August 19, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
Very occasionally, the fish all huddle up together. I thought perhaps one of the nerites was hang-gliding off a floating plant above. However, and linked with another current thread on the issue, I suspect they can smell / detect the sea bass that's being cooked for Mr FCMF's dinner. While cooking is underway in the kitchen, I'm attempting to settle the nerves (or whatever it is) of my gang in the fishtank in the living-room.
 ::)

That's an interesting thought. My main tank's in the kitchen and there's plenty of fish prepared and eaten in it, but I've never seen any of the fish reacting to it. The main surface where I do chopping etc. is at the back of the fish tank, and I've filleted a whole salmon on there before, so there was a strong fishy smell all through the room. Maybe we just read into these things our own opinion and place it on the fish? Given how excited they all get for bloodworms, daphnia and the like, I'm sure they would have been just as interested in a bit of salmon had it been offered!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1418 on: August 19, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »
Very possible, @Fishbeard - and the huddling recurred today after the lights came on. Good grief re filleting a whole salmon in full view of the fish!  :yikes:

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #1419 on: August 19, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
I'm not sure how good the eyes of a gourami or cory are (especially to see out through the tank), but I'm also not sure they'd recognise something about 10 times their size as being so similar.

That's my justification, anyway. Whatever happened to "Nature, red in tooth and claw"?  :isay:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: