Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207731 times) 1923 replies

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1380 on: August 02, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I, personally, would be tempted to simply omit the water change on the 16th Sue... 

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1381 on: August 02, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »
Agreed, just do 6th and 23rd. I've not done water changes for 2 weeks multiple times now and there's never been any noticeable effect as a result.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1382 on: August 02, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
One of my Rabbit snails did this fcmf...  Stopped moving completely, but no smell...  After a fairly lengthy period, I took him out and popped him in a holding bucket - did the same thing and popped an algae wafer in there for him on the off chance he might spring back to life etc, but no such luck...  A further week passed and still nothing...  At this point, I had a closer look and his operculum fell off, but still no smell...  That sealed the deal and he was then disposed of.
That does indeed sound exactly what's happening here. Actually, early this morning (96 hours after I thought he had probably died), I lifted him to about 1-2" from my nose - this time, there was a smell, similar but nowhere near as powerful as the smell of mussels which Mr FCMF eats occasionally and which cause the entire household to stink. Whether this is a normal smell from a living snail or not, I'm not sure. However, I'm going to get Mr FCMF to do this "sniff test" this evening. I did also touch what little bit of flesh / partial operculum there is but no reaction at all.

On another note, I've been to visit my newbies :fishy1: who go on sale tomorrow - quite excited now.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #1383 on: August 02, 2018, 02:24:25 PM »
On another note, I've been to visit my newbies :fishy1: who go on sale tomorrow - quite excited now.  ;D

Newbies?? Is there something you've not been telling us? Or have i just missed it....

Offline Sue

« Reply #1384 on: August 02, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
If previous 'pipe cleaning' is anything to go by, we won't have any dirty water at any point, though just because it's not happened before doesn't mean it won't this time as they could clean a different section of piping. It is being done
...to remove any natural deposits which may have built up. These deposits are not harmful to health
They do give some advice on the back of the card such as running the tap for 30 mins if the water turns orange black or brown (and to use that water for garden plants)
The real danger is that they could add extra chlorine.

I can't really leave the main tank without a water change for 17 days without a water change because it is somewhat overstocked. I think I'll do one over the weekend 18/19 August as they don't usually work weekends.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1385 on: August 02, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »

Newbies?? Is there something you've not been telling us? Or have i just missed it....

Absolutely not - check out post #1350 in this thread plus https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/restocking-54-litre-tank-now-that-numbers-are-depleting/msg41354/#msg41354 . I more-or-less made up my mind a few weeks ago, asked for them and another species to be on the order list to give me an option, checked out the state-of-play today and the ones which had become the top of my list were looking good (while the other species hadn't come in). There was a slight waver between them and another "almost top of the list" choice which is now no long a waver following a chat with LFS employee, so my mind is made up. All will be revealed in due course, if you haven't already guessed. [Strong clue: I woke up during the night, having had a bad dream that they were larger than they were and that my tank would have been at 114% stocking (which is correct if they had been the size in my dream), but I've since checked this out and all's ok. ;D]
:fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #1386 on: August 02, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »
I do remember you talking about more fish, and the possible options but not what you'd decided on  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #1387 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
Posting on another thread about cycling with low KH has just reminded me why I don't like leaving a long period between water changes.

I have low KH and at least once I have lost fish to a pH crash through not doing frequent enough water changes. Around 12 years ago I posted on the old Thinkfish forum in a panic because my pH had dropped off the bottom of the scale, and the then advisor told me is was because of my low KH. Since then I've done weekly water changes - the longest gap has been 10 days - and my pH has been stable.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1388 on: August 03, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
I'm grinning from ear to ear, like a proud new mum - 8 little microdevario kubotai are swimming round in a quarantine tank following acclimatisation.
Can already see individual personalities among the group, with some bolder than others. Fingers crossed, after a long and traumatic journey from the Far East, they make it through this quarantine phase and then into the main tank. I've transferred quite a few "home comforts" across to make their interim environment as pleasant as possible.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1389 on: August 03, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
They sound lovely  :) And they'll complement nicely the colours of your other fish.

Of course, photos once they've settled  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1390 on: August 03, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
They have coloured-up in the past couple of hours but this isn't at all evident from the video: #Invalid YouTube Link include https# [edited to state that this is showing up as invalid, so I'll try again - https:#//youtu.be/UIyOizgl43c but the #sign needs to be removed from the url]. However, I think a video is probably better than attempting to take a photo just now.

Apologies for the silk plants, reflections, and for the banging of pots and pans in the background as Mr FCMF was about to start preparing dinner!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1391 on: August 03, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
They are so cute!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1392 on: August 03, 2018, 09:52:07 PM »
@fcmf your new fish are adorable and very perky  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1393 on: August 03, 2018, 11:21:22 PM »
Congrats fcmf!  You've wanted some new fish in your tank for as long as I can remember  :fishy1:

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #1394 on: August 04, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
Ditto on the gratz...  :D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1395 on: August 04, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »
Thanks, all.

8 have become 7 :'(

Yesterday evening, one of the fish spent more time away from the shoal; I did wonder if he might be poorly or simply preferring to be on his own. About half an hour after going to bed last night, I woke up with a jolt, dreaming that one of the new fish was upside down and floating on the surface. Although I refrained from going in to check, my "premonition dream" was correct when I went in to check first thing after getting up - but he was upside down on the bottom, breathing rapidly. I removed him into a separate tub, thinking I might have to "bite the bullet" and euthanise as death was inevitable. After breakfast, it became clear that I would have to take this course of action. However, by the time I'd quadruple-read the instructions, wrapped the container into which he'd be placed in a dark towel to minimise distress, shaken the clove oil / water mix container for the umpteenth time, composed myself from the tears running and down my cheeks and having a bit of a "wobbly" about what would happen if he didn't fall asleep (all of which probably only took 5mins), went in to retrieve him, he had died naturally. I've never been able to do this before but at least I've done a "dummy run" now, should I need to do so in future.

The other 7 are, so far, as full of life as they were yesterday evening - touchwood.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1396 on: August 04, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that  :( Unfortunately it is quite common to lose one or even two of a lot of different species within a few days of purchase.

Fingers crossed for the rest.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1397 on: August 04, 2018, 09:40:59 AM »
Thanks, Sue - I recall reading that before, although I'd always been fortunate in that respect. I suspect the fact that they only arrived in the country on Tues probably doesn't help - perhaps I ought to have given them more "settling-in time" before purchase rather than purchasing on the first day of sale.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1398 on: August 04, 2018, 09:58:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about your fish @fcmf
Although this is not unusual, it is still quite distressing and upsetting.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #1399 on: August 04, 2018, 10:24:45 AM »
I'm late to the thread, so I'll start by offering my sympathies... and then offer my congratulations on the other seven. I hope that they continue to do well.

Both tanks have been cleaned now. I've got two narrow leaf java swords in the main tank and a couple of the leaves were turning brown and shrivelling, so I removed them this morning and chucked them. I see no harm in doing this, but would there have been benefit to leaving them behind? They showed no sign of being nibbled at, but would my japonica shrimp have taken care of the dead/dying leaves for me?

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: