Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 205918 times) 1923 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1340 on: July 12, 2018, 08:06:51 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It's a fine old plan!

My only concern would be going to an independent fish shop, miles away, and finding something incredible there, with no sensible way of getting it home!

There are 4 (probably more) ways to respond in this situation:-
1) "That is an amazing fish, but there is no way I can get it home safely from here. I guess that's just fate" - feels a bit sad for a while, then possibly gets home and realises that the amazing fish wouldn't work well with the fish already in the tank/doesn't have a tank suitable for the fish, and is comforted by the thought that the impulse purchase could have harmed the fish and left the fishkeeper in an emergency situation of trying to create a suitable environment for a new fish at short notice.

2) "That is an amazing fish, but there is no way I can get it home safely from here right now" -
feels interested in finding out more, takes pic of fish with label containing latin name, goes home and researches the requirements of the fish. Spends a couple of weeks on the research, decides they they can't keep the fish in a current community/can't buy a new tank/can't keep the fish correctly...(remaining actions follow those of option 1)

3) "That is an amazing fish, but there is no way I can get it home safely from here right now" -
feels interested in finding out more, takes pic of fish with label containing latin name, goes home and researches the requirements of the fish. Spends a couple of weeks on the research, decides they they can set up a suitable environment. Goes to LFS with information and asks if they can order it. Or decides to order the fish online for delivery.

4) "That is an amazing fish, but there is no way I can get it home safely from here right now" -
feels interested in finding out more, takes pic of fish with label containing latin name, goes home and researches the requirements of the fish. Spends a couple of weeks on the research, decides they they can set up a suitable environment, and that they do want the fish. Several weeks/months are spent doing further research and setting up a suitable environment prior to a long trip back to the store, with a fishy travel kit (battery operated air pump with some mature filter media in a small amount of tank water, polybox large enough to contain the fish in a bag, and anything else that could help). Travels back to the shop, gets the fish, returns home with everyone doing well, acclimatises new fish to new set up, everyone lives happily ever after.

Hope that helps - the general message is "don't buy fish from a distant store you've never visited before on the spur of the moment, as it results in the sort of chaos that we can all do without".  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1341 on: July 12, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
Mine was a combo of 2 and 1, with 3 likely to happen in the future ie took the pics and pics of labels containing the name and Latin name, did the research quite quickly (ie checked against SF), then slotted in what could/would go where in the general algorithms in my mind re the various scenarios which might play out as time evolves.

Today turned into quite an amazing day - went on an outing and, by sheer luck and completely unbeknown to us, it turned out that there was a public aquarium at the site of our outing! En route home, the SatNav (untouched by me - honestly) took us a different, more rural route; just as we came over the brow of a hill, I recognised some colours in a row of buildings in a business park and a massive smile broke out on my face... yep, it was a well-known pet shop chain, this branch of which I just happened to have to check out "for quality assurance / research purposes".  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1342 on: July 13, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
A public aquarium and visiting a fish shop, sounds like a great day @fcmf

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1343 on: July 13, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
What a mixed week fish-wise. Actually been away for a few days, hence the outings and fish shop discoveries. Left on Tues morn and everyone was in great form, including the very obese female tetra who seemed to have learned how to swim despite the lopsidedness caused by her obesity - one side swollen/large, the other side with what looked like an internal protrusion as though a piece of cardboard were wedged in her side, as well as the anal opening being unusually forced round to that side with what had become a distorted body shape. Just arrived home to the discovery of her very decomposed body, so I suspect she died on the day we left. :'( Absolutely not entirely unexpected but, where I'd suspected she might live on for between a few weeks and a few months, I was fairly confident on Tues morn that it might be for a few months as she seemed to be in such great form, colouring, chasing down food, and there seemed to be a lot of mating-like behaviour between her and her male partner. Snail under water so ammonia levels can't be too high yet - but obviously I'll check, and plan to do the scheduled water change today anyway.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1344 on: July 13, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Even though it is expected, it is always sad to lose a fish.

They can go from seeming to cope to at death's door in less than a day.
One of my rice fish (a female) developed a very swollen abdomen though with no pine coning, so I left her alone. Like your tetra she had trouble swimming (with her body vertical, tail upwards) but fed quite happily and bred - with rice fish the eggs hang from the vent till they get knocked off so it's obvious when they spawn. Then one day she was suddenly floating upside down at the surface so I decided the time had come to put her down.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #1345 on: July 13, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
Sorry the old girl didn't make it fcmf... 

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1346 on: July 13, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
Sorry to hear the sad news about your tetra.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #1347 on: July 13, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
Sorry to hear about your tetra's passing, fcmf.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1348 on: July 13, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
Sorry to hear this fcmf

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1349 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »
Thanks, all, for your kind words. Ammonia and nitrite were still at 0 and nitrates perhaps just a little higher than usual. I think I thought the state of decomposition was further than it was because one eye seemed very badly affected - but I realise that that was due to her being caught in the hornwort under the hottest part of the light and obviously lying on her side. Any plants near the water surface get and smell singed, while I've been burnt from the light while undertaking tank maintenance and inadvertently touched the light. For that reason, I think her eye gave the impression she'd died several days ago, when it might not necessarily have been the case.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1350 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »
Tank in a bit of a sorry state. Now with the gang's numbers depleting, and possibly having gained a sense of life/death, the 9 are looking a bit sorry for themselves and have been gathered together in one quarter of the tank all afternoon and evening, as though wondering who's next. Not helped by the demise of the live plants either! Definitely time for some new life to be breathed into the aquarium...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1351 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
It's took me 4 hours yesterday and an hour this morning to finally get a Fluval 206 filter attached to the chiller unit for the axolotl tank, and the whole system fully functioning.
A couple of thoughts have popped into my mind over the past hour:-
1) Perhaps I'm not cut out for this fish & amphibian keeping malarky
2) I really should have read the filter instructions more thoroughly, both before I started, and I was setting everything up.  ::).
Still, I can now continue with replacing the decor and adding more plants, then perhaps I can return them all to their main tank this evening.
Hopefully this will be the last time I do a full rework of their tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1352 on: July 18, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
When I worked in the hospital lab back in the 1970s there was a notice on the wall.
"If all else fails, read the manual"
 ;D

Hmmm, come to think of it, that hospital was in Cambridge. Is not reading manuals a Cambridge problem  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1353 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »

Hmmm, come to think of it, that hospital was in Cambridge. Is not reading manuals a Cambridge problem  ;D

:rotfl:
Possibly, though for me it could be "read the manual properly, rather than just skimming through it and looking at the pictures.
 ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1354 on: July 20, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
A red nerite snail was ordered, and two turned up, to my pleasant surprise - one middle-sized one with a couple of scrapes on her shell and a perfectly formed tiny one with rich colouring. I've placed each on the anubias, in the hope that they might tackle it. The former is definitely female as she's left two white, thread-like strips on the leaf; if my year-old orange snail actually decides to wake up today for more than just a few minutes, he might be in for a surprise when he wanders around and discovers them!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1355 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »
Two espei's rasbora were successfully transferred from the hospital tank back to the main tank (on friday) after a course of treatment with myxazin. Pretty sure it's the first time I've actually managed to nurse a fish back to health.

(One of the espei's had several spots of white fluff on it, one on the caudal pedunckle causing the tail to look bent. Second espei's hitched a ride in the net, so I let him thinking that the poorly fish might be less stressed with some company.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1356 on: July 23, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Glad to hear that your rasbora have been returned to the main tank. Congratulations on returning your little one to full health.  :cheers:

I've accidentally flooded the spare room. The axolotl that had a cut on his leg was in the spare tank for treatment. I returned him to the main tank last night, and turned off the filters & chiller, thinking I'd empty the tank today. Just went into the room, the hose coming out of the chiller unit had fallen out of the tank and leaked approximately 50L onto the carpet. Oops.  :-[

On the bright side, it's 31C here today, so it shouldn't take long to dry out.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1357 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:58 PM »
Oh no.

As long as it's not humid as well, like it is up here.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1358 on: July 23, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
It is quite humid here, but I've used towels to mop up the worst of the spill, so I might have to put a fan in the room tomorrow to help.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1359 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
Glad to read that the rasbora is on the mend, @Helen.

Oh, @Littlefish - you sound just like I am, and I'm actually rather impressed at just how few incidents you've had given the number of tanks you possess!

I've spent a good part of the past few days absolutely fascinated by my 3 snails and their antics - it's lovely seeing 3 colourful and attractive blobs working away in the tank. I'm very much looking forward to my new fish additions, once they are ultimately decided upon and arrive too, which ought to give the tank even more life about it.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: