Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206342 times) 1923 replies

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1300 on: June 30, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Sorry for your loss Sue. He was a lovely looking fish.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #1301 on: June 30, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
Just got back from an aquascaping demo with Filipe Oliveira at Aquarium Gardens.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/AquariumGardens/videos/?ref=page_internal

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1302 on: June 30, 2018, 10:44:55 PM »
Very sorry to hear your news @Sue. At least a quick demise minimises any potential for extended suffering... My condolences.

@Littlefish I'll be watching that later! I wish I was nearnearer aquarium gardens or any true aquascaping shop for that matter...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1303 on: July 01, 2018, 05:49:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
@Matt I consider myself very lucky to live within a short/reasonable driving distance to several great shops.  :)

The demonstration lasted longer than I expected. I will admit that my favourite part was when the tank was far from finished, and someone mentioned that there was football on that afternoon. Someone else asked if anyone knew who was playing, people started to look around, and it wasn't until it became obvious that nobody knew the answer that the phrase "that's what google is for" was heard.
Aquascaping 1 - football 0   :raspberries
For those who are not keen on football, I would recommend spending the hottest part of the day in a perfectly air conditioned shop (where they were serving free tea, coffee, and bottled water), and watching someone create a stunning tank.  ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1304 on: July 01, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
So sorry to hear of your loss @Sue

I guess that's one of the things we hope experience can help us avoid. It goes to show that sometimes there's nothing we can do.  :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1305 on: July 01, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »
Mr FCMF has been using the Vax carpet cleaner in the bedrooms this morning and has just commented on how much sand was picked up - can only have come from one place ie trodden from the fishtank room!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1306 on: July 01, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
 :o oops!

About 6 years ago we replaced the laminate in our lounge for carpet. Except around the fishtank! The room is L shaped and the tank is in the short bit, so it was relatively easy to put down a rectangle and leave a decent space around the tank that is slightly more water resistant.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1307 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
We had a new lounge carpet a couple of weeks ago. The first 60 litre tank, then the 125 litre tank were both on the old carpet and I was very surprised that there were no water stains on the underlay. I do remember dropping a bucket of old water next to the 125 litre tank but no stain.
For the last few years I have used an old curtain in front of the tank during a water change. It is one of those with a thermal backing, which is like a sort of rubber bonded to the fabric and works very well to contain any spillages, and bits dropped on the floor. I just pick it up by the corners and shake any spillages into the garden.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1308 on: July 02, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
I read something over the weekend that makes me think I may have killed my betta  :'(
Blood worms apparently have a large head, one reason why we should not feed them very often. The abdominal swelling started a couple of days after I fed him bloodworm. He was a young betta, and quite small. Did the bloodworms cause a blockage?

eSHa 2000 is a 3 day treatment, with a large dose added on day 1, followed by 2 days at half this dose. So I've been adding the day 1 dose every day since he died. This morning I did a 100% water change, and washed the filter sponge, sand and decor in dechlorinated water. Then we went to my favourite shop and bought a standard blue veiltail, with red undertones.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1309 on: July 02, 2018, 06:03:17 PM »
Compared to a betta my dwarf puffers are much smaller, and their diet is mainly bloodworms.
Should the mood take you, have a close look and you'll see that the head isn't that large compared to the rest of the worm.
I also find it quite difficult to believe that a carnivore doesn't have the appropriate mouth parts to deal with a bloodworm, let alone once it gets to the stomach.
My plakat betta loves bloodworms, and always has.
@Sue I really do think that you were very unlucky with your recent bettas health. Please don't blame yourself.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1310 on: July 02, 2018, 07:14:27 PM »
I'll try not to  :)

Bettas are such pigs and the one that just died crammed every worm he could find into his mouth at once. I was trying to drop them in one at a time but lost control of the pipette  :-[

I'll stick to daphnia and brine shrimp with my newest betta until he grows a bit bigger.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1311 on: July 02, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »
I use forceps to feed a worm or two to that betta, and he takes them from the forceps. Much easier to control than a pipette for food. They are pigs, and he goes crazy if I try to give worms to any of the other fish or assassin snails in the tank, swimming around trying to get all of them.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1312 on: July 02, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
Glad to read that you have a new betta, Sue. I know only too well how easy it is to keep questioning recent actions and wondering what it may have been which led to the fish's demise, then berating oneself repeatedly. I can't really add to Littlefish's excellent advice other than to testify how easy it is for fish to go bonkers in the presence of bloodworm. My remaining female tetra has all sorts of antics to reach and devour ~80% of the fishtank food, which explains the size she is and the health problems she now has, but I suspect at the end of the day, it comes down to the fish's constitution as to whether they can cope with it or not - or, very possibly in the case of your betta, the cause of death may be completely unrelated.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1313 on: July 02, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »
So far so good with the new betta. He finally found the 2 pellets I put in at dinner time. He could obviously smell/taste them in the water and was swimming round looking for them. They were stuck at the edge so I just tapped on the tank next to them till he found them.

I felt really sorry for the chap at the shop. He is really the reptile person, but Monday is Mark's day off and the owner was due back from holiday yesterday so they hadn't arranged for anyone else to go in. She didn't arrive this morning so the reptile chap was on his own.
I went into the fish room to find no ceiling lights, and only a few tank lights on. The betta tanks were in darkness - I couldn't even see if there were any fish in the tanks. After he finished with the previous customer, I asked him about bettas and he said 'but I turned the lights on', went to look and came back muttering about fuses. A couple of minutes later, all the lights came on but I didn't want to buy a fish that had only just woken up. So I let him serve the next few customers while I watched the bettas. Very quickly the betta I bought and the one in the next tank started flaring at each other so I knew it was now OK to take him out of his tank.
This shop has a rank of small tanks, maybe 10 to 15 litres. Each one has an air powered sponge filter. They keep the bettas, shrimps, snails and very tiny fish in these tanks (one species per tank). I had no idea rabbit snails grew so big. They were bigger than the bettas  :o

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1314 on: July 03, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »
Plants not doing at all well recently, disintegrating, melting, thinning and dying, despite ensuring they weren't in the shadow of others and despite adding fertiliser more frequently and replenishing the root tabs. As the tank was looking rather sparse and I can't keep spending a fortune on plants, I resurrected some silk plants this evening which has given the tank quite a boost - beginning to think I might just stick to anubias, java fern, moss balls and hornwort, in conjunction with silk plants, from now on.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1315 on: July 03, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »
That sounds like my aquatic green fingers, which is why I stick to the same plants. Though I do seem to be able to manage Bolbitis as well.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #1316 on: July 03, 2018, 11:29:51 PM »
They can be a real enigma some of these plants, eh...  My abject failure with one of the supposedly easy-peasy, lemon squeezy plants (H.Costata) is proof enough of that for me, lol...  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1317 on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:51 PM »
It might be worth us revisiting if some plants tend to do better in hard or soft water...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1318 on: July 04, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »
@TopCookie I have managed to kill several java ferns over the past couple of years, so I think I can trump you on killing easy plants.  ::)

@Matt did you have a look at that Filipe Oliviera demo? The sound quality wasn't great, there was quite a lot of background noise because the shop was still open to customers that day. I found Filipe to be a fascinating chap and he put together a lovely tank. I'm trying to hold off going back to buy plants for a few weeks so I can see the tank a bit more grown out.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1319 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »
I've killed duckweed in the past  :o

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: