Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 207671 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1180 on: May 02, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Im also suffering with baby snails @fcmf following addition of new plants... fortunately I have dwarf puffer ready to take on any amount of snails they change get their find on  ::)  good enough excuse for a second tank?

Picture of male and female Agassizi attached  :fishy1:

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #1181 on: May 03, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Wikkid photo Matt...  Looking v.good...   :D

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1182 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
Good looking pair of fish.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1183 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
Lovely photo. 8)

Hitch-hiker snail no.5 discovered crawling up the tank glass today - she was considerably larger than yesterday's 4. Meanwhile, my nerite lay fast asleep on the filter yet again, probably completely unaware that he's had 5 intruders (so far) in his tank.

As soon as I popped her into the temporary-but-at-risk-of-becoming-permanent container, another snail and her "joined up" and another pair "joined up" at precisely the same time, leaving the tiniest snail to nibble on a piece of plant leaf I'd popped in.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1184 on: May 04, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
Hitch-hikers no. 6 and 7 have been lifted out in today's water change. It seems to be 6 weeks since I last purchased plants, so I'm assuming there were eggs on/in one of them.

The large and top-heavy Echinodorus plant insists on floating despite attempting to weight it down; I've given up now, though, as the fish actually seem to like sheltering under it - forget tank aesthetics!  :))

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #1185 on: May 04, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
Ah, I dunno if this might be helpful or not @fcmf but a little while ago, I got the E. Red Diamond sword and blow me, it simply would not stay in the spot that I had planned for it...!!!  Every time I'd try and plant it, the moment I'd let go it would simply float up again, no matter what I tried...  In frustration, I tried planting it in an entirely different spot and it "took" at the first attempt...  Would you Adam & Eve it...?  Really chuffed with where it is now anyways, but blimey it was several attempts that all floated off and failed in its original chosen location... 

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1186 on: May 04, 2018, 08:12:44 PM »
Thanks, TC/Pierre - I've tried that but the aren't many alternative locations for a plant which is about 1/6 the size of the aquarium.  :o

I've just had to rescue the nerite snail from another acrobatic incident falling off a plant. I gave him 5 minutes, then couldn't bear to see anymore of his innards stretch out in an effort to re-position himself.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #1187 on: May 05, 2018, 12:02:10 AM »
Which Echinodorus is if fcmf...?

My Black Helmet Nerite has vanished again now, the little blighter, and Lord knows when he'll be out in plain view again...  Still trying for the photo that @Matt requested...  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1188 on: May 05, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
Which Echinodorus is if fcmf...?
It's an Echinodorus "fancy twist".

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1189 on: May 05, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
A "warts and all" tank photo, complete with scratch marks down the tank where an algae magnet scraped some sand grains down it, wilting plants, root tab debris on the leaves, a few catappa leaves strategically tucked in the anubias in an effort to keep some light off the worst of the BBA, the massive Echinodorus "Fancy Twist" contained in a fish feeding ring and unsuccessfully weighted down with 3 moss balls but still managing not to stay upright, and some hornwort strewn on the tank surface. Aesthetically an eyesore (but perhaps a confidence-booster for those feeling that their own tanks aren't great) but the fish seem content in it and the extra surface coverage.  :fishy1:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1190 on: May 05, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »
To make your moss balls heavier, try squeezing them out. I found them to be pretty good at holding onto the gases that they produce.

And you need to stop putting yourself down. Your planted tank is looking great.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #1191 on: May 05, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
I'm off to investigate E.Twist in a mo, but Helen is absolutely bang on, your tank does look great fcmf...  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #1192 on: May 05, 2018, 11:15:08 PM »
Edit:  Pic removed...  Mrs Cookie used a daft app filter of some description and on reflection, the photo is pretty terrible really, so probably wiser to take it down... 

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1193 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:45 AM »
Today is looking like it will be equally as nice... my evening was spent slowly gardening... we did climb Helvellyn earlier in the day! Fingers crossed for another nice evening.

@fcmf I agree with everyone else... stop putting yourself down... tank gets better and better every time I see it!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1194 on: May 06, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
I think your tank is fine too. The main thing is that your fish like it. My tank doesn't look anything like one a really good aquascaper would have.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1195 on: May 06, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Wow - thanks for the kind comments, all. Maybe the camera didn't pick up the various defects in the way they're visible to the human eye.  ;D I've managed to remove the fish-feeding ring from around the E.twist and it's currently managing to remain suspended upright (with the 3 moss balls in it to weigh it down as best as poss), rather resembling a hot air balloon in the tank.

No snails found lurking around yesterday, so hopefully the 7 removed (and rehomed to another expanse of water) plus the empty shell found a week or two ago were the full complement of hitch-hikers.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1196 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
There's nothing quite like spending time outside on a nice evening.
I'm still moving stuff around in the garden, so it's been nice to have some sunshine.
@fcmf there is nothing wrong with your tank, it looks fine. Your plants are doing well, and your fish are comfortable with their environment. Most of my tanks have some scratches on the glass, these things happen.  :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #1197 on: May 06, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
A little update on the lives and loves a pair of my fish.
I’m not sure if I have ever shared this but I bought two Firemouth Cichlids when I started my big tank tank up, they were just 2cm at the time but as they developed they never did look anything like firemouths.
They turned out to be a pair and have the same fantastic parenting approach to eggs and fry as firemouth but have no hint of red on them, about the right size 15cm - but they ranged between olive green and almost canary yellow depending on their mood. The penny finally dropped, they are Rainbow Cichlids but as they dont seem to be very popular or common (not sure which) I had never seen them in shops.
Anyhoo, as they were breeding and had one managed to rear three of the fry in the main tank I thought it would be nice to give them a proper chance at raising a full brood.
They prefer to lay eggs on vertical rock surfaces having spent a few days cleaning the surface and creating a no-fly zone around the rock. Fertilisation occurs after the egg is attached and they take turns at slowly and carefully swimming in lines across the surface. The eggs are allowed to develop for a few days and then each one is removed by mouth (there are 300-400 eggs) and transferred as ‘eggs with tails’ to a hole that they have dug in the substrate. The eggs gradually develop into fry over the next week and form a thick moving grey clump while the parents watch over like hawks. As the fry develop further small streams of them start branching out from the clump, initially the parents suck the adventurous ones into their mouth and the spit them back into the clump but they also occasionally they move the whole clump to another hole.
The fry get gradually more active and the clump opens out and they start moving around in a tight cloud of fry. At this point I guess they will have not have lost a single egg, then suddenly the babies decide its time to SCATTER and you can guess what happens next. The parents still guard them as best they can and will round them up returning them to a safe corner but in a tank they stand little chance until they get above mouth size. Hence 350 eggs = 3 fish.
So this time about a week after hatching I carefully vacuumed the clump out having first removed the parents (I was fed up of being bitten) and transferred them to a 200 litre bare bottomed tank with a cycled sponge filter. I left the parents in with them for about eight weeks but removed them once I noticed the fry clustering around the female and nibbling at her dorsal fin. This started back in mid December, all the fry have survived and are now 3cm long and starting to show some colour.
I had added a large internal filter once they were large enough to not be sucked in and have been aiming for a 5ppm Nitrate level so I am now up to 160litre daily water change from a conditioned water tank (I’m getting quite slick at water changes) so it is about time for them to move to the big tank and then to a LFS.
Its been very enjoyable process to watch but I will probably shut the tank down for a while, but I’m rather hoping the Geophagus get around to spawning....
I will add some pictures to this but as I normally struggle I want to get the text in place first.

Oh and hey @fcmf like the others said, no beating yourself up. No.1 is happy fish and you have that.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #1198 on: May 06, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
Nope pictures still a struggle.....

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1199 on: May 06, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
@Andy The Minion such an awesome update.
It sounds like the breeding/hatching process has been fascinating
160L daily water change - I'll bet that tank is keeping you busy.  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: