Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206232 times) 1923 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1040 on: March 03, 2018, 10:12:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a vision of you huddled round the fish tank trying to keep warm  :o

Would it be possible to move the tank temporarily or would that upset the fish just as much?
Would it be a straight boiler replacement or would there need to be extra work done? If it was just take the old one out and connect a new one up it wouldn't be too noisy, especially if it was the same make and model.

We needed a new boiler last year and were worried they'd have to take the house apart to replace an old 1991 boiler with a condensing boiler, but it turned out to be quite painless - a heat-only boiler so we kept the hot water cylinder, and one of the very few boilers that don't need an over run so no taking up of floorboards to install a cable.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1041 on: March 03, 2018, 10:23:55 AM »
Your vision is not far from reality.  :fishy1:

There's not anywhere that's suitable to move the fishtank to long-term but it's possible that the QT could be set up temporarily in the spare/multi-purpose room, after moving some items off the top of a chest of drawers to somewhere (it's already floor-to-ceiling in the flat as it is, but I'll try to figure out something...) Might be easier to move into a bigger house - which would simultaneously give the option for a larger fishtank or even multiple tanks..! ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1042 on: March 03, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
A thought has just occurred to me.

Is the boiler a condensing boiler, and is the drain pipe inside the house or outside?
In the last really cold spell some of our neighbours had problems with their boilers, which was caused by the condensate freezing in the outside drain pipe and blocking it. Our plumber said if that happened to us, soak some cloths in very hot water and wrap them round the pipe to melt the blockage.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1043 on: March 03, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
I'm glad I came on here and mentioned this - it's amazing what can be learned through a fish forum (thanks, @Sue!) and even Mr FCMF is impressed as it was something that hadn't occurred to him :). Although the pipe can't be reached from the window - it would need a cherry-picker to reach from the ground - at least the snow is beginning to melt this morning, so the problem may resolve itself once the cold spell passes.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1044 on: March 03, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
In the last really cold spell we still had our old non-condensing boiler so when our neighbours had problems we said we must remember that for when we get a new boiler. They all had those very narrow white drains on the outside of the building. We asked the chap who installed our new boiler last autumn and he said he now prefers to run the pipe inside where possible. Ours wasn't possible. He got round it by having a very short length of narrow white pipe fitted into a standard kitchen sink sized black drainpipe so it would take a lot of condensate to block that. And he also recommended the hot cloths if it did block.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1045 on: March 03, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
Argh - there's no such thing as a perfect filter. My remaining female x-ray tetra vanished this afternoon. I've spent the best part of the afternoon with an aquascaping tool, prodding the plants individually to see if she floated out from the leaves - no luck. I removed both lots of wood to get a better view - still no luck. The new filter was close-fitting to the wall, so I ruled that out as a possibility. I began to wonder if I'd misunderstood the lack of appetites this week, and which I'd put down to the fish becoming fussy because the food packets had passed their shelf life (not 'use-by' dates but 'open for a long time' dates), as some form of withholding of appetite in preparation for a feast on a morbidly obese tetra even although this wouldn't be "in character" (as far as I know). Finally, I decided to remove the new filter - and out she swam, as though "put out" by the fact that I'd disturbed/found her.  ::)

Turns out that the filter is not as close-fitting as I thought; new models attach with magnet strips but the model I got only has suction cups at the top and actually it's quite easy for a fish/invertebrate to push their way / be chased up the bottom/back corner of the filter despite no actual gap being present. (Additionally, the nozzle which allegedly twists to alter filter output flow doesn't seem to do as it claims...)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1046 on: March 03, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
This is the case for another of the myriad uses of filter wool  :) Just stuff a wodge behind the filter.

Offline Geoffish

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1047 on: March 03, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi all

I thought I'd share a pic of my first tank! I've had it up and running for just under 2 months and the brown algae is largely gone (thanks to much cleaning, otos and shrimp), tests all good, plants healthy and fish look happy.  :) With all going well, I thought it best to make the most of it before any problems set in. I've read a lot of your posts about the problems that can crop up!  :-\

I've just got one restless kuhli, (Kevin) who swims round the tank when the lights are on. It's strange since the others mill around at the bottom. I can only assume that Kevin is restless, either that or they take it turns to swim around as only one does it. You can see Kevin at the front of the tank in the photo.
 :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1048 on: March 03, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »
Looking good  8)

May you have many more trouble free months!!
I have a lot of brown algae at the moment in my new 220litre.  Tomorrow will be a day of cleaning to try and get rid of it.  I'm not used to such a large tank so everything seems to take so much longer now! I'm going to try adding an anti phosphate sponge given others experiences on here and see if that helps.

By the way, what are the two tallest plants? One in the middle and one on the right hand side. I don't recognise them...

The behaviour of your khuli is interesting. I rarely see mine and they are a constant source of worry... have they died?... did they get any food?...

Offline Geoffish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #1049 on: March 03, 2018, 09:58:29 PM »
I had a lot more brown algae, but I gather that's normal in a new tank. My approach was to disturb it so it was floating about then siphon it out when doing a water change or use a net to collect it. I was doing 10-15% WC every 3-5 days for last 3 weeks and I think is what had the biggest impact. The other thing was putting in a small power jet, which meant less chance for it to settle and more filtered out.

In the middle it's a lizards tail. It's generally a pond plant, but I read somewhere that it's fine in an aquarium. This may be a big mistake, but it's looking good so far. My plan is to let it reach the surface, but keep it fairly restricted. The otos spend most of their day on it, so they're definitely fans. If this plant turns out to be a disaster, I'll be sure to post about it!  :-\

The other one is dwarf hair grass. It grew well, but it's a magnet for brown algae, so I wouldn't get any until you've got yours under control. I would have waited a few weeks before putting mine in if I'd known. The power jet is situated right behind the grass and helped to loosed the algae. That's why it's flowing out sideways in the pic.

My best guess for my kuhlis (and hope)is that I've got plenty of hiding places, so they're relaxed. Either that or they're starving because my barbs are eating all the food! The only food the kuhlis seem to get a chance of eating are algae pellets. Even when I hide food under rocks, and putting it right where they hang out (as suggested by Sue) the barbs seem to root it out before them.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1050 on: March 04, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »
A belated welcome from me to the forum, @Geoffish  :wave: 

Tank looks good - and nice to "meet" Kevin.  :)

Useful tips/pointers as to what might help with brown algae - thanks for sharing these. You're doing better with dwarf hair grass than I did - mine lasted only a few days.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1051 on: March 04, 2018, 05:36:12 PM »
Another tip for feeding kuhlis is to feed them at or after lights out. They are generally nocturnal fish. I drop food at the front of the tank and then watch the kuhlis come out. When I refurbished my substrate, the kuhlis would hunt the tiny substrate life that had been disturbed. It was really fascinating to watch.

Offline Geoffish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #1052 on: March 04, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
Thanks @fcmf:) Interesting you had issues with dwarf grass, I guess I was just lucky. I did manage to kill off the first Anubia I put in (attached to bogwood), which are supposed to be fairly indestructible, so I'm certainly no plant expert!

@Helen, good tip. I had noticed that any scraps of food disappear overnight, but assumed it was the barbs. The various tips I've had on here seem to work, but will experiment more in the coming days. Out of interest, how many kuhlis do you have? I've got 5, but hear that they are happier in bigger numbers.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1053 on: March 04, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
I currently only have 2 kuhlis. They could be up to 8 years old. They were the only kuhli survivors from a case of white spot. Since then, my tank has been through severe neglect and they have still survived. (I think they ate all / any snails)

Over the last 6 months or so, I have been refurbishing my tank and have since tried to increase the number of kuhlis. I have an open 'order' with my local MA for more, but am not having much luck. I should probably give them a call, but because kuhli are scale less fish, they can be quite delicate, so I  being patient (the case of white spot was when I bought kuhlis in snowy winter). I went in to the MA about a month ago to collect 6 or 12 (I hadn't decided) that I'd reserved and the stores entire stock had been wiped out by white spot.

I am looking forward to increasing the numbers as they are my favourite fish. Though, my most recent additions of dwarf rainbow fish (bought on the kuhli trip) are climbing up the popularity rankings!

Offline Geoffish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #1054 on: March 04, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
Hmm, that's interesting. I've only been to my nearest MA once. It had a v big selection of fish, but everything looks healthier in my LFS and so far they've had everything I've wanted to buy. Sometimes I have to wait a few days for the next delivery (and settling in period), but that's ok. They had a tank that must have had 100 kuhli in it! They also had marbled hatchet, which are on my long term list (once the plants have brown up to the surface).

Dwarf rainbows are on my list too along with dwarf gourami (amongst others). I plan to get some (either rainbows or gourami) in a month or so.  :)

I've just been watching the night time action. My kuhlis were nowhere to be seen (probably hiding under the dragon stone). So much for being nocturnal, my guys are more active during the day! Not that I'm complaining!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1055 on: March 06, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »
I've been working on the river tank for the past few weeks, mainly draining, re-arranging decor, and refilling to check the flow. Over the weekend I had the misfortune of the handle of one of my buckets breaking, and spilling 11 litres of water onto the carpet  ::)
I think I've finally got it to the point that it's nearly ready, or at least to the point where the work involved in draining and refilling seems like too much effort for any more minor changes for a while.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1056 on: March 06, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the photos of the revamped tank. :)  Hope the carpet has dried out successfully.

The "tropical quartet" cube this evening seems to have had an aphrodisiac effect on my own fishtank inhabitants this evening.  :o

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1057 on: March 09, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
One of the male tetras was behaving oddly towards something on the tank glass, as though eyeing it up and ready to take a pounce to eat it from the glass. It turned out to be a tiny white worm of about 3 mm long which was moving around. I watched for about a minute, then went to wash my hands with a view to removing it with an algae scrubber but, by the time I'd returned, it seemed to have disappeared and the tetra had resumed normal behaviour - I suspect he consumed his prey. I had "planaria" in my head and, if this was/is it (am I correct?), a quick search on here suggests that it's probably harmless (thoughts/suggestions welcome if not, though); thanks.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1058 on: March 09, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
My husband bought our daughter a usb microscope for Christmas. It has been used to look at the fish tank in detail (within about 10cm of the front of the glass - the lense can't focus any further away.)

We discovered a lot of tiny life, which is all apparently normal and harmless. And I suspect the reason that my kuhlis didn't starve during the period of neglect in my tank.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1059 on: March 10, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »
From what I understand about planaria, I think most of us probably have a few of these in our tanks even if we don't know about it. A few is ok, as with anything, but if you get an infestation it can be a problem. They feed off detritus in the tank, fish poo etc. so the way to keep their numbers down is through good tank maintenance. I'm pretty sure that your tank is very well maintained @fcmf so I'm sure there is no need to worry  :D

http://www.aquariadise.com/planaria-in-the-aquarium/

I've seen a video if someone use that dewormer to great effect on an infested tank but it was on a shrimp only tank... not sure how it would affect fish.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: