Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206064 times) 1923 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1000 on: January 21, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Oh dear @Sue what a time you are having... I'm not sure the below is what you need right now but I will just try and be logical about your water change situation...

I wouldn't say doing a water change with the light off is necessarily a terrible idea... as long as the fish are active after their nights rest I wouldn't worry about doing a water change with the lights off - admittedly any gravel vacuuming etc might be hard but a basic water change will still benefit the tank. My fish haven't seemed to noticed before when the light timer has shifted back an hour after a power cut either so maybe that's an option too...

It might also be interesting to see what level your nitrates are at to see how desperate a water change is...

I'm sorry those are the only real suggestions I have other than buying a python water changer or something of that sort to try and make the changes quicker or easier..

That just leaves me to wish you and your family all the very best... I'm sending positive vibes your way!  :cheers:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #1001 on: January 21, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
I'm not allowed a python. All that dirty bacteria laden water going down the sink  :yikes: (should never have used the b word in his presence   ;D )

I have told him that if he really must go out tomorrow afternoon I will have to turn the dining room light on at breakfast time so the fish can wake up. The dining room faces north and the last few days I've had to turn my keyboard lighting on to see what I'm typing. I can't even see the fish when it's is so dull so heaven knows what I'd suck up. It's forecast overcast but at least no rain for tomorrow.

I will do a water change tomorrow or else!

I'm just panicking because about 10, 12 years ago I had a pH crash through not doing enough water changes because of my low KH.

And I don't actually have a nitrate tester........

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1002 on: January 21, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
I'm just trying to remember what things increase hardness... though im normally striving to go the othet way... certainly a small piece of tufa rock might help, would the salts you mentioned in another thread also work? Sorry I'm not sure I'm helping much!!

Would the water change system I'm planning to use be more acceptable to your husband? A garden hose to siphon water out to the garden, and a tap connector to fill the tank  back up using the same hose.  It would mean no dirty sinks.  If you had a clean and a dirty hose there would be no chance at all of cross-contamination.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1003 on: January 21, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Tell him they are pro-biotic bacteria, and they're good for him.  ;)

Sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult time, and that tank maintenance is such an issue. I don't know what to suggest.

Best wishes to you & your family. x

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1004 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
Sue, I have a suggestion...send your other half around here - he'll soon realise that are much worse things that could horrify him than just tank water going down the sink.   :yikes: :sick: :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1005 on: January 21, 2018, 08:54:27 PM »
Sorry to read about your hard time, Sue.

On a practical note, and although probably not what you want to have to get, rollators can actually be very good for carrying items eg perhaps something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=four+wheeled+rollator. I was just about to suggest a method of doing this in conjunction with a couple of cheap buckets with lids which might to enable water changes to be done, but, thinking through the complicated logistics, it probably is easier if your son can do it. However, aside from the water changes, rollators or similar items can be very useful post-surgery.

Also, as you have a lot on your mind, tomorrow's water change could maybe be what I call a "non-invasive" water change perhaps ie taking jugfuls of water out and in, rather than the more time-consuming aspects of siphoning, decor removal/replacement and filter maintenance.

All the very best for the next while.

PS.
Sue, I have a suggestion...send your other half around here - he'll soon realise that are much worse things that could horrify him than just tank water going down the sink.   :yikes: :sick: :rotfl:
Fantastic idea - perhaps you could "casually on purpose" quote some examples of the horrific things people on the fish forum do such as my frequent mouthfuls of fish water during water changes and lots of other things; he then might realise that, by comparison, some b******* down the sink isn't that bad.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1006 on: January 21, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
We actually have one of those in the garage. But I'd still have to lift the bucket on and off it. It is my mother's rollator but after she fell and hurt herself quite badly 13 months ago she's had to use a zimmer ever since. We've been keeping it just in case she can ever use it again.

I had already decided I'll do week and a half water changes after the ops - the day before, week 1.5, week 3, then at week 4.5 I should be able to do them properly myself. My son is self employed so we can work round his jobs.
I just got so frustrated at my husband's attitude. He doesn't like my hobby and thinks it's a waste of time. He can't understand why I'm complaining  :o Mind you, I can't understand why he spends 3 hours a day re-learning the viola since he retired  ;D He hadn't touched the instrument since he left school, it was just sitting in the back of the wardrobe till a couple of years ago.

And there's the other reason....
At the last water change i took out all the hornwort. The stems were getting rather long so I wanted to prune the old, less attractive bits off before putting the pruned stems back. There are now rather a lot of hornwort leaves on the bottom of the tank making a bit of a mess and I'm desperate to get rid of them. It's just so unsightly  :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1007 on: January 21, 2018, 09:12:13 PM »
I had been thinking more of hosing the water into Empty Bucket (with lid) No.1 placed on the rollator, son/someone wheeling it into fishtank room but son would probably need to shimmy it onto a similar-height piece of furniture the day before, from which you could ladle jugfuls of water following water change the next day. On the day of the water change, then Empty Bucket (with lid) No.2 could be placed on rollator and water siphoned into that, until son/someone can wheel it to wherever it's allowed to be disposed of. Might that work?

Or https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/house-and-pet-sitters/united-kingdom/ might have someone able to help?

Offline Sue

« Reply #1008 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »
Son called round a few weeks ago while I was doing a water change so I asked him then. He said he is quite willing to let me siphon the water into the dirty water bucket (consultant says this is OK) then carry it outside and empty it. Then let me fill the new water bucket in the sink and add dechlorinator, then carry it to the tank and place it on the stool I use so that I can ladle it into the tank with my jug (also OKed by consultant). Carrying 12 litres water outside then 10 litres water to the tank is not allowed but siphoning and ladling is allowed.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1009 on: January 21, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »

PS.
Fantastic idea - perhaps you could "casually on purpose" quote some examples of the horrific things people on the fish forum do such as my frequent mouthfuls of fish water during water changes and lots of other things; he then might realise that, by comparison, some b******* down the sink isn't that bad.

I was originally thinking that even just seeing a house over-run with tanks may make Mr Sue realise that this is worse than just tank water being poured down the sink. Then I realised how messy I am with water changes, etc. and how many kitchen utensils have been re-purposed for tank maintenance, so we'd probably need a paramedic on standby just in case there was a bad reaction to the amount of chaos in the Littlefish household.  ::)
On the bright side Sue, it would make Mr Sue realise that you are a paragon of restraint and neatness.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1010 on: January 21, 2018, 09:50:48 PM »
Hmmm, we used to live in Cambridge. Perhaps I should suggest a trip round some old haunts then casually mention I know someone who lives there......

Though he'd probably have a heart attack at the sight of so many fish tanks - then I'd have to go and visit him in Addenbrookes where I used to work.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1011 on: January 21, 2018, 09:58:25 PM »
You'd be fine to use a python at home and empty the tank water down the sink then though.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1012 on: January 21, 2018, 10:00:14 PM »
But there is a downside - I don't drive and my favourite fish shop isn't on a bus route  :o

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1013 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:04 PM »
I put my old fish tank water down the toilet. I do pour it slowly so as to spot any livestock that might have accidentally got caught up. None so far.

I used to pour it out the back door, over a manhole cover. Then I realised that manhole cover was for our foul drains and that by pouring the water in the toilet (which was closer, warmer and less messy), it was going exactly the same direction.

And I'm pretty sure that fewer bacteria go into the toilet from the fish tank than from the other things that go in it!  :sick:  :yikes:

Also, we have a water meter. But that only measures water coming in. It is assumed that all water coming into a house, also goes out the foul drains (we do have separate surface water drainage). So I figured I've already paid for the water from a tank water change to go down my drains.

I hope things improve for you @Sue.

Would more very small water changes be ok for your tank?

I should also add that with all the plants you are now growing, your tank will be far more resilient to a few weeks of neglect. I think the pH crash you mentioned was pre live plants?

I know my tank is more heavily planted, but it survived literally months of severe neglect. Rather amazingly.

Feeding the fish less helps too. Imho. Think of it as a holiday for them!  :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1014 on: January 22, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »
Your point about the surface water vs foul drainage is an interesting one... we certainly shouldn't be pouring waste tank water into surface drainage as responsible aquarists.  Looks like everyone here is doing the right thing from what I've heard so far but I bet there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't have had this thought!

It could kill native species if any tropical diseases are present, the indestructable Malaysian trumpet snails as an example could also enter our waterways threatening native species again.

There has been much documented about these potential impacts of the hobby, but I'm not sure the link to surface drainage has been made before?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1015 on: January 22, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »
There are a couple things about surface water drainage: not everywhere has a separate system. And there will be life in surface water anyway - just think of all those street drains blocked with leaves...  I'm not entirely convinced that tropical species would survive the British weather. But I guess that is a different discussion. And your point about introducing potentially invasive / destructive species is definitely a valid one.

Offline Sue

« Reply #1016 on: January 22, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
I pour the old tank water down the same drain as the sink water. In dry weather I pour it over the planters on the patio and when they are soaked over plants growing in the soil. The only place I'm not allowed to pour it is over the vegetables - the 'b' word again.

The problem with pouring it down the loo is that I am notoriously clumsy and some of it would end up on the floor. Outside it doesn't matter if I get some on the ground.

Current problem solved - we are going out when he's finished this morning's viola practice so I can clean the tank this afternoon. And despite the weather forecast, we have blue skies and sun  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1017 on: January 22, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
I water the garden with my tank water, including the fruit & veg.
My largest tanks have Fluval FX4 and FX6 filters on them, which have a port at the bottom for draining, so I bought some longer hose, which reaches out of the patio doors at the back, or the window at the front, which save me from carrying large containers of waste water.

See @Sue, Mr Sue would be horrified at the working practices here.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1018 on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
At last! All the mess from the hornwort has gone  :) And both filters cleaned - they were full of decaying hornwort leaves.

And I have forgotten to mention that I got a new male honey gourami a couple of weeks ago. Unlike his predecessor which stayed very pale and hid in corners before dying, this chap has fully coloured up and has even been spotted blowing a few bubbles. We were passing near my next to nearest Maidenhead Aq so called in - I was expecting to see yellow honeys and red honeys but they had a tank full of natural coloured honeys so I now have a trio of naturals again.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1019 on: January 22, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »
I've yet to see the naturals in the shops... very jealous!! Good to know MA can get them.

I've done a water change on the puffer tank today, wow they are messy little things, that said I think I'm overfeeding them at the moment because I'm worried about the khulis not getting anything. They are going on a diet day tomorrow.  Gobys in the 220 litre are doing a brilliant job of ridding the wood of fungus stuff and algae.  Tank looks amazing apart from the planting substrate they have dug up when burrowing... they are also messy little things...  ::)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: