Think Fish Keepers Daily News

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News  (Read 7713 times) 24 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News - 2021 (+2022)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My old hairdresser had a pond with a fully grown sterlet, which was outgrowing the pond. She was trying to rehome it when we had a bad winter and the poor fish unfortunately died. I don't know if the was the unusual cold, the cramped pond or the combination which was the problem for it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News - 2021
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
The sterlets at the local MA might have to be adopted as my pond fish by proxy.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 01:39:43 PM »
Mr Snail has found new lodgings. Last night, he clambered into the largest of the terracotta plant pots and settled under the branches of the plant, and was still there this morning. When feeding the fish, he clambered up the inside of the pot and peeked over the edge as though to see what was happening, then returned for a further snooze. All very cute.

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 04:44:32 PM »
I know it's not really fish news, but I am now reading posts without getting a headache - or to be precise eye ache.

The screen on my laptop has been playing up for a few weeks - either horizontal green stripes or text elongated to 10 times it's proper height. And the mouse pointer doesn't work when these happen. I wiggle the screen backwards and forwards a few times and if that doesn't work, tap the screen on the top edge. I can usually persuade it to work but it can take 5 minutes. I think this is because I dropped a rather heavy rechargeable cordless mouse on it  :-[

So last week I bit the bullet and bought a new laptop which arrived on Thursday afternoon. The new one is an SSD and so much faster. But.....

The screen has a blue-purple tint, it makes my eyes ache and I can't adjust the colour to the right setting. I've tried the colour adjustment thing in the Control Panel - moving the blue slider almost to the opposite end works a bit but not much. I've tried adjusting things in the Intel Graphics Card thingy which also helped but not much. ThinkFish was awful - the pages bright blue and difficult to read. It was very much like like after I had cataract surgery. I had yellow cataracts and when they were replaced with clear lenses, everything looked the wrong colour - blues and purples shouted at me, green were more loud and yellowy green than before.

This morning I did some experiments. Loaded Thinkfish and a few other sites into my Amazon Fire, and my son's Samsung tablet. And connected the new laptop to the TV via an hdmi cable. They all showed the same colours, and the same as my old laptop. No blue-purple tint on any of them, including the TV fed from the new laptop. Google suggests either a graphics card problem or a cable to the graphics card not correctly fitted.

One phone call to Currys later and the new laptop will be collected on Tuesday and a replacement sent out within 10 to 14 days. At least I can still persuade my old one to work!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM »
As an update on my aquarium over the past ~9 months or so (following the huge but ultimately unsuccessful efforts to attempt to save my cardinal tetra that put up such a brave fight):
* her friend developed a white fleck on her tail and then a white growth from her mouth, that I tried treating with eSHa 2000, Waterlife Myxazin and Maracyn-2 at various stages (Apr, June, July) when the situation seemed to worsen (eg fungus, bulbous), but unfortunately any success was limited and not long-term, and ultimately she succumbed in Sept;
* the ‘runt’ cardinal became very weak / suddenly developed buoyancy problems and spent a week or two alternating between lying on his side on the tank floor and darting around, or hovering under the spray bar (presumably for O2), but ultimately succumbed in early Oct;
* as the remaining fish were all very robust, I then increased numbers of each of the two species to 5 espeis and 7 cardinals (from 2 and 4) – think the espeis were pleased to acquire some shoalmates;
* very happy with just the two species in the 54L tank - in hindsight, looking back on videos of the fish during the “original cohorts dying off / new stock” phase when I had small numbers of 4 species in the tank at once, that isn’t an approach I’d take again but instead wait until all have passed away before adding new ones;
* two nerites are both alive despite the male one having regular seeming near-death-experiences;
* hygrophila guanensis is still alive (almost 2 years!) – and propagating regularly!  All in little terracotta pots – an aquascaper’s horror (sorry, Matt) but works for me and the tank inhabitants.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, all.

https:///youtu.be/IG799_scnM8

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: