Author Topic: The Pre-Project Project  (Read 5930 times) 31 replies

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
The Pre-Project Project
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
While we're waiting to see if moving will happen in the next month or so the big tank project is on hold.  So I'm looking into a smaller project in the interim. 

Got a free 30 l tank today.  No equipment with it and it's plastic.  If I had to do something with it it'd be cold water only (Shiners!  Too small.) because I'd be scared of a heater melting it.  As it's lightweight I may just keep it around as an emergency tank.

I have a couple of other toes in the water (not literally) inc. a 60 l tank with a 60 cm internal length which I should be picking up on Saturday.  There may possibly be a slightly larger tank on the table too.  My wife, who is the most lovely and kindly best wife ever (dictated), has pretty much given me final veto depending on viewing of the aquaria.

Options for projects bouncing around in my head are:
1)  Apistogramma agassizii and pencilfish (taking my own advice).
2)  Celestial pearl danio species only.
3)  Papua New Guinea - Peacock Goby/Forktail Blue Eyes/Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (dependant on tank volume).
4)  Using a tank to house the African dwarf frogs and a new halfmoon dumbo betta.

Whatever I choose it will be a planted tank using plants that can eventually be used to plant the big tank when it's time.  There'll be some aquascaping going on.  All up in the air right now.  Hopefully there'll be some room for DIY in there.  :)

There'll be photos so let me know what you like the sound of or alternatives that may be fun.  Arggh!  Way past my bedtime. 

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: The Pre-Project Project
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
Oh wow - glad we have another MTS person in our midst. :)

The 30-litre plastic tank is probably best kept as an emergency tank. I had a plastic one, which was fine with a heater (I had similar concerns to you but another member on here reassured me), and which I found I had in frequent use in summer 2015 when my pygmy cories weren't faring well.

As for the 60-litre tank, I'd be inclined not to buy any new livestock until once you've established whether or not you're moving, to avoid any unnecessary shock/stress on the fish. Of course, you could decide now which of your 4 options to go with and focus on the aquascaping and possibly part of option 4 (ie move the African dwarf frogs in there), then, if/when you've moved, stock accordingly. Option 3 sounds particularly interesting and colourful to me and I'd love to see photos if that's the option you go for. An option 5 might be killifish which I find very attractive too but your Option 3 is standing out to me by a long way.
:fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
All the options sound good to me except for half of option 4. I would not put a betta in with frogs. Been there, done that, and would never ever do it again.

Bettas are greedy bendy fish and will eat all the frogs' food before they can find it. Even hiding it in a cave won't deter a betta as they'll find a way in. Mine got into an upside down terracotta plant pot with the tiniest holes cut in the rim, and a stone over the hole on the bottom of the pot.
Frog's have extremely poor eyesight and will mistake the betta for food. I found my betta frantically swimming round the tank with a frog clamped to his tail. He ended up with severe finrot from the site of the bite. The frogs were moved into my quarantine tank after that.

I personally like the apisto/pencilfish option as I've had both fish, and I also like peacock gudgeons - I currently have 5 of them.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
@fmcf and @Sue
I'm going to fully cycle whichever tank I use first before adding fish so that should be plenty of time before livestock will go in.

I should explain the Options a bit more. 

Option 1 would probably be the least exciting as far as the aquascape goes for a small tank.  It would be a densely planted Amazonian setup.  Gentle flow.  I'm leaning towards an Amazonian setup in the big project tank when I get it so may wait until then.

Option 2 would be aquascaped to look like plants on a volcanic background using fiery red rock and red/black gravel mix.  An unplanted bonsai wood.  The cpd's would then be like dinosaurs in this volcanic terrain.  Gentle flow.

Option 3 was inspired by Sue's pretty peacock gudgeons (she has really pretty fish overall).  The larger tank looks like it may be 90 l in which case it will be them and the forktails only.  Which should still be interesting enough.  Some interesting species of plants come from that area too.  In my head this will be a heavily planted tank with large rounded pebbles (around 5-10cm) with Unipac coarse Samoan as the substrate gravel.  Driftwood.  Moderate flow.

Option 4 is mainly aimed at the 60 l tank.  What would happen is some DIY and the tank will be halved.  The frogs will go in one half and the beta in the other.  The different halves will be aquascaped separately but with a common theme (tbd).  Gentle flow.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
I have to say you've got some great ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to go for, the volcano aquascape sounds very cool, similar to an idea for what I might do in my 3 foot tank which I think I will partition into two... Good luck with it all and don't forget pics!  8)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
Option 4 is mainly aimed at the 60 l tank.  What would happen is some DIY and the tank will be halved.  The frogs will go in one half and the beta in the other.  The different halves will be aquascaped separately but with a common theme (tbd).  Gentle flow.

In that case I withdraw my reservations  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
There is a lot of love for peacock gudgeons, they are very pretty fish.  :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:37 PM »
So excited.  Going to get the tank/s tomorrow.  :D  Pics then of the bare tanks and notes of any extras the tanks may come with.  Final decision on with option to go for when I know the tank base size.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 07:58:56 AM »
Tank day....hooray.... :cheers:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
Ah we love a tank day here, I've missed this "surrogate excitement" I get when another member gets new stuff  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »
I'm excited too - MTS by proxy (phrase coined by Anne) - looking forward to seeing the pics later.
;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
OK!  So here's what I got. 

First a 60L Fluval tank in good condition.  T5 or T8 (not sure how to tell which is which) single tube lighting.  Not sure which range it's from.  It came with an Interpet PF1 filter which just about covers the tank if you want a low flow.

Secondly a Fluval Roma 90 with cabinet.   Again with T5/T8 lighting but double tube.   The tank etc. is in great condition.  This one didn't initially have a filter but when I asked the kindly gentleman gave me an Eheim Liberty 200 hob filter.  At this point I was finding it hard not to squee in excitement.  It can handle a tank up to 200L so should do fine.  Need to DIY the hood and filter a bit but it's all good.

Neither of them came with heaters.  Nor did either of them come with polystyrene underlay (advice on where to get some or alternatives please!).

Both tanks have a footprint of 60 cm by 35 cm so I'm going with options 2 and 3.  Papua New Guinea first in the 90L.  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 07:30:59 PM »
Lights - measure the width of the tubes. If they are 1 inch across - ie eight eighths - they are T8s. If they measure five eighths, they are T5s. Do the tubes have anything written on them at all? As a general rule, fluorescent lighting should be replaced every 12 months.

Underlay - are the tanks flat bottomed or floating bases? The trims make them look like floating bases in the photos.
If there is a gap between the base glass and the cupboard and the tank stands on the trim, you don't need anything under the tank. But if the whole of the bottom glass is in contact with the cupboard you do need something. I have used both polystyrene tiles and foam base mats designed for aquarium use. The latter are of course more expensive.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »
Yeah, new tanks.  ;D

Please post lots of pics during set up, I'm really looking forward to seeing these.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
Very exciting - keep us posted on the step-by-step progress.  ;D

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »
Great stuff and some smart lookin tanks  8)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
Cleaned and sterilised the new tanks.  Used a steam cleaner which was interesting.  Usually I'd go with a bleach solution.  Tested for leaks and everything is OK.

Got a 200 W heater for the 90 l which should be plenty and have a spare on the way.  Purchased a couple of Fluval Aquasky LED's to replace the T8 bulbs (thanks @Sue ).  Picked up a teeny tiny EF-150 external filter from All Pond Solutions.  Should provide plenty of filtration.  On the whole I paid less than the Fluval Roma 90 would cost new.  Although it's not looking like a total bargain anymore I'm confident the equipment I've got for it is better than the standard set.

All the hardscape has been purchased already or is on its way for the 90 l.  Pretty much as described in previous post.  Will be putting it in place over the weekend.  Will be making some DIY caves for the gudgeons.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
Will be making some DIY caves for the gudgeons.  :)

In my experience, peacock gudgeons like tight little caves. I'd make a few caves of differing sizes and let them choose. Since it's the male that guards the eggs, you'll need at least one cave per male, more being better to give them some choice.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
Not all of the hardscape items have arrived in time.  Will update next when I have hardscape done.

Here's the hardscape.  Hardscape is inspired by photos I looked up of streams in Papua New Guinea.

Frosted the background glass of the tank using some window film applied to the outside.  You can see some water in the tank as I'm spraying to keep the Tropica substrate damp.

Next up will be the softscape.  Plants were ordered yesterday.  Next pic when it's setup.

PS.  Does anyone know why my pics keep going southern hemisphere?

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »
I have no idea about the photos. I know that portrait format often appear on their sides - ie as landscapes - in the thumbnails but when you click on them they are the right way round like the photo of your tank a few posts earlier.

But as for why your landscape photos are upside down in the thumbnail but the right way up when you click on them .... ???

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The Pre-Project Project"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
104 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
by Richard W
78 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:33:14 AM
by Paddyc
18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 01:09:58 PM
by Fiona
306 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 11:38:50 AM
by Cora

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: