The Gang's Together

Author Topic: The gang's together  (Read 3371 times) 16 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
The gang's together
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hiya, managed to get the gourami and the rummies out of quarantine and into the main tank, combo approach of net and glass although it was fairly stressful with the last two rummies, they were having none of it!!

Anyway wee photo, still blurry but managed to get all 5 gourami in the shot together, quite mad the difference in sizes of them. They're behaving themselves, the biggest girl still rules the roost though  ::)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: The gang's together
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi @Lynne W

I'd be interested in knowing about your tank water parameters - specifically, pH, KH and GH. Rummy Nose Tetras prefer slightly acidic water and, apparently, their colouring can fade in alkaline water.

BTW, nice looking tank.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
Great to have an update and see all the gang together in the photo -  :cheers:

@jaypeecee - @Lynne W has very similar water to my own i.e. very soft water. Just checked an earlier post of hers and it's 1.72 dH.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 02:33:38 AM »
Super photo   8)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
@Lynne W has very similar water to my own i.e. very soft water. Just checked an earlier post of hers and it's 1.72 dH.

Hi @fcmf

Now that's what I call l-o-w! I presume that's what is quoted on the water company's report? If that's the GH, I wonder what the KH must be?! And I can't help but wonder if 1.72 dH is on the low side for the chosen fish? Perhaps @Lynne W has increased the water GH? I didn't realize that we had such soft water here in the UK. So, the calcium and magnesium levels in your water must also be very low. I'm in Berkshire - my tap water mean calcium level last year was 121.16 ppm and magnesium was 4.45 ppm.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
Hi Folks,

Rather than (further) editing the above post, I thought I would add the stated dH range for the fish in Lynne's tank, according to Fishbase. Here they are:

Pearl Gourami    dH 5 - 19

Harlequin Rasbora    dH 5 - 12

Rummy-Nose Tetra    dH 5 - 12

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »
Another very reputable website (Seriously Fish) gives the minimum hardness as-
pearl gourami 2 dH
harlequins 1 dH
rummy noses 2 dH

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »
Thanks for posting the pic, it's great to see your gang together.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
I didn't realize that we had such soft water here in the UK. So, the calcium and magnesium levels in your water must also be very low.
In that case, I'll enlighten you as to how soft the water in one of the UK's constituent parts: https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=www.scottishwater.co.uk/-/media/ScottishWater/Document-Hub/Key-Publications/Water-Quality/150419HardnessData2018.pdf  Don't look at the descriptor of 'soft' or 'moderately soft' as these are what would be termed 'very soft' or 'soft' elsewhere.  The CaCO3 and German degrees readings will be the ones to look at.

From having looked at a map of the UK's water hardness before, I think N.I. and Scotland were very soft / soft water, whereas the south of England was hard, and Wales and the Midlands and north of England became increasingly soft but with variation within each (albeit not as soft as Scotland's water).

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
Another very reputable website (Seriously Fish) gives the minimum hardness as-
pearl gourami 2 dH
harlequins 1 dH
rummy noses 2 dH

Well done, @Sue

I tried to look at Seriously Fish first but it was playing up at the time. So, I looked on Fishbase instead. It's difficult to know which to trust, isn't it?

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »
Both sites are written by scientists, with Fishbase being aimed more at the scientific community while Seriously Fish is aimed more at the fish keeping community. As to which is more accurate, it is impossible to say. I tend to use SF more because they give more details on keeping fish, such as tank size and compatible tank mates, than Fishbase.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 01:33:10 PM »

In that case, I'll enlighten you as to how soft the water in one of the UK's constituent parts: https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=www.scottishwater.co.uk/-/media/ScottishWater/Document-Hub/Key-Publications/Water-Quality/150419HardnessData2018.pdf  Don't look at the descriptor of 'soft' or 'moderately soft' as these are what would be termed 'very soft' or 'soft' elsewhere.  The CaCO3 and German degrees readings will be the ones to look at.

From having looked at a map of the UK's water hardness before, I think N.I. and Scotland were very soft / soft water, whereas the south of England was hard, and Wales and the Midlands and north of England became increasingly soft but with variation within each (albeit not as soft as Scotland's water).

Thanks ever so much for that link, @fcmf. I have downloaded a copy from the original source.

JPC

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 07:18:27 PM »
hiya sorry I missed all the chat, (still don't know how to quote comments?!? anyway) yeah really soft water but everyone still going strong after nearly two years, fingers crossed. You might see rummies in the earlier photo their colour is good even although it's a bit alkaline, although that's more to do with what the water company do with it rather than me!

All still settling in OK and big girl gourami still rules the roost, although now she's got more gourami to chase I think she gets fed up chasing them and gives up quicker than when there was only one other.

@Matt moved some of the plants, as you suggested, and although still not great I do think it looks better, bit of a WIP I think and need to find some small plants.

@fcmf re your plants, I read somewhere that amazon swords need a lot of iron, not that I do much with them other than root tabs and I'd go with Matt's advice rather than mine, but wonder if that something to consider?

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
To quote comments, first find the post you want to quote, then click on the word Quote in the same line as the title of that post. That opens a reply box with the quote already typed in. It will end with [/quote]
If you want to quote the entire thing, type your reply on the following line. if you only want to quote part of it, delete the words you don't want.

But doing this you can only quote one person. If you want to quote two or more people, type "xxx said" then click on the speech bubble above the smileys in the reply page (just under the font size) which puts {quote}x{/quote} in your reply (except the {} will be [] ), copy the part of xxx's post you want to quote and paste what you just copied between the [] and [] where I've put x.
Then type "yyyy said" click the speech bubble again, and copy and paste the bit of their post you want to quote.

Like this:

Lynne W said
still don't know how to quote comments?!?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »
To quote comments, first find the post you want to quote, then click on the word Quote in the same line as the title of that post. That opens a reply box with the quote already typed in. It will end with

yey hope this works, thanks Sue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 07:43:01 PM »
The important part is to leave the first [ ] with the word quote at the beginning and the [ ] with /quote at the end untouched. Sorry, I can't put the words inside the [ ] or it turns my reply into a quote!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
I read somewhere that amazon swords need a lot of iron, not that I do much with them other than root tabs and I'd go with Matt's advice rather than mine, but wonder if that something to consider?

Hi Folks,

The Flourish Tabs should take care of that (including magnesium to augment the iron in preventing chlorosis*).

JPC

* chlorosis = yellowing

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: