Taxonomists Strike Again

Author Topic: Taxonomists strike again  (Read 2559 times) 1 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Taxonomists strike again
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have dwarf chain loaches in my 125 litre tank. They used be Botia sidthimunki. Then they were moved to another genus and were Yasuhikotakia sidthimuki. I've only just learned to spell Yasuhikotakia and they've gone and done it again  :o Dwarf chain loaches are now Ambastaia sidthimunki.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/dwarf-chain-loach-reclassified-a-summary-of-recent-changes-in-loach-taxonomy/

It's almost as bad as galaxy rasboras. They were first discovered in August '06, and called Microrasbora sp galaxy. The first official description was released in January '07 and they were placed in the genus Celestichthys and the common name changed to celestial pearl danio. Then a year later it was re-evaluated and placed in the Danio genus. At the moment of typing, the galaxy rasbora is Danio margaritatus.

Now I can understand why the galaxy rasbora has been moved aound genuses. It was rushed out in to the tropical fish market before the taxonomists had chance to examine it properly. But the dwarf chain loach was discovered in 1959!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Taxonomists strike again
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It is hardly surprising that some fish shop suppliers struggle with scientific names if they can change too.
 ;)

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: