Tank Update - It's Been A While!

Author Topic: Tank Update - It's been a while!  (Read 3131 times) 8 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Tank Update - It's been a while!
« on: November 16, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone :wave: it's been quite some time since I last posted so thought I'd let you know how the tank is progressing. It's been 20 months, yeah can't quite believe it, since I set up my tank. There has been good and bad along the way but overall I'm really pleased with the way things have gone.

All my original 15 Harlequins are still going strong, funny how you don't realise how big they've got till you see the size of the ones in the shops.
I lost 2 rummies fairly early on but remaining 11 are fine, lost a couple of 5 banded bards but have a health shoal of 18 I think, but really difficult to count.

You might remember the trauma with the pearl gourami's when I lost 3 in quick succession and I was worried one of the remaining two was going to bully the other too much, but they get on quite well now.

The real problem has been with the skunk corys, even cleaning the tank weekly and cleaning the sand twice a week, I've not been able to keep the wee guys alive, they all seem to go the same way with some sort of infection in their barbs and they go a kind of blackish colour and eventually die. I've tried isolating them and some meds, but apart from the first one who did return from the brink of death I'm down to only 4. I know this isn't enough but I don't really want to get any more as I've definitely got something going wrong where the're concerned  :( Would another type of cory be more resilient, or do I call it quits :-\

Anyway, I've also got another small tank (but bigger than the hospital tank) which is currently housing another 5 rummies and 1 male and (I hope) 2 female gourami. They've been in there for 6 weeks and doing well, I've started mixing their water with the main tank water, as planning on moving them over to the main tank in a few days. They'll be the first new guys for about 8 months, so hoping all goes OK, although not looking forward to trying to get them out, any tips on doing this without getting into a panic more than welcome  :))

Not to forget the plants, I'm pretty much overloaded with them and spend quite a bit of time cutting them back and scooping out handfuls of the floating plants, before they cover the whole surface! I don't really do anything more with them other than some flourish and root tabs. Probably my only complaint is it's a bit of a green jungle, and so many picture I see on this site are so much more thought through than my attempts.

Here's a couple of blurry iphone photo's, one day I'll maybe take a clear picture   :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Tank Update - It's been a while!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »
not looking forward to trying to get them out, any tips on doing this without getting into a panic more than welcome

A few suggestions...
Use 2 nets one to herd the fish into the other
Use a net that spans the entire width of the tank
Try and bring the net from under the fish up towards it - they are less likely to see it coming
I've used a glass a few times - herd them into it and move them over without taking them out the water... only do this if you're happy mixing some of the quaranteen tank water into your main tank of course... but if you've been changing one with the other already it sounds like the risk would be minimal.

so many picture I see on this site are so much more thought through than my attempts.

My suggestion would be to think about what overall shape you want the layout to be. Do you want to islands, a v shape? See www.scapeeasy.co.uk/layouts.htm to see what I mean

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 09:00:15 PM »
Cheers Matt, like the idea of a glass never quite mastered getting them with nets yet. Also think I've probably got the beginning of a V with the bits of wood I've got in there already, suppose I could start tweaking bit by bit without disturbing the tank too much.

Thanks again

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:58:29 PM »
Great update, and your tank looks lovely.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 06:15:22 AM »
Also think I've probably got the beginning of a V with the bits of wood I've got in there already, suppose I could start tweaking bit by bit without disturbing the tank too much.

Agreed, I would suggest starting with trying to move taller plants away from the centre and over to the sides .

You clearly have green fingers as your plants growth is lush and healthy :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
Lovely to read your update, @Lynne W - and very impressed by your photos, fish- and plant-keeping skills (in fact, quite envious o the latter). Good to read that, on the whole, the fish have been keeping well, and I'm sure the good shoal sizes of each help with that.

As for the skunk cories, I know that there are a few of us who have had trouble keeping cories in the past even with seemingly ideally water parameters like you (i.e. soft water, low nitrates). I completely understand the decision not to want to get more when they haven't been doing well - that's how I felt about my pygmy cories and, more recently, my neon green rasboras. If you wanted to give cories another go, then I'd probably advice a different type of cory than what you've had, and possibly avoid the habrosus and hastatus ones which seem particularly sensitive.

As for moving fish from the QT, most recently I used a 2-litre plastic jug which I keep for fishkeeping. It is wide-necked and I guided the fish in gently with a green net, then gradually turned it upright - this went so much more smoothly than I expected, and I don't think the fish felt as though they'd been "trapped". I then placed a dark cloth/facetowel over this jug, to avoid anyone leaping out, and then removed that and carefully lowered/tilted the jug as I got it closer to the main tank's water surface, so that they swam out in their own time.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »
You might remember the trauma with the pearl gourami's when I lost 3 in quick succession and I was worried one of the remaining two was going to bully the other too much, but they get on quite well now.

Hi @Lynne W

I used to keep a male + female pair of Pearl Gouramis. The male was often aggressive towards other fish in the tank but particularly aggressive to the female. And things got worse at feeding time. In the end, the stress proved to be too much for the female and she got very unwell. One of the few times that I had to resort to euthanasia. The male died from natural aging about six months ago. No more Pearl Gouramis for me!

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
You are very lucky your pair get on, I have had problems both times I've kept honey gourami, they are now firmly off the list for me. I did really like sparkling gourami though...  think they did better because i keot a larger group... one day I'll get some more of these lovely fish.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 08:50:59 PM »
Thanks for all the great comments. I bought a wide vase in Dobbie's today, so I'm going to have a go at using that when it's time to move the new comers.

Re the Pearls (I don't know how to refer to a quote) I am a bit nervous about putting them all together, the two in the main tank have been doing fine on their own but hopefully, as I'll end up with 4 females and 1 male, they'll be OK. Suppose that the one good thing with the plants being a bit of a jungle just now, there's they can, if they want, hide from each other.

As to the corys I would like to try another type, I assume I should wait till the others are gone (hopefully by natural causes rather than infection) than introducing more while they're poorly. I quite like the whiteish spotty ones, but I'll need to do a bit of research.

I'll have a go at plant moving once all the new guys have settled in.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how is goes.

:cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank Update - It's been a while!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 11:47:15 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 09:17:10 PM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2018, 09:06:58 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post December 11, 2020, 03:55:08 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 09:34:12 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 05:19:08 PM
by tornmean9

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: