Tank Mates For Bristlenose - Littlefish

Author Topic: Tank mates for bristlenose - Littlefish  (Read 4616 times) 19 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Tank mates for bristlenose - Littlefish
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all.
I'm going to be moving my bristlenose plec and blue-eyed ancistrus to an 80cm, 125L tank in the living room.
I'm looking for suggestions for tankmates for them.
Originally Harry (BN) was in the South American tank, but I found that the penguin tetras were nipping his tail. Since then he has shared a slightly smaller tank with the BEA until I'd sorted out my other tanks.
I have considered getting a shoal of black neons, but was wondering what you guys would suggest.
Thanks.
 :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Tank mates for bristlenose - Littlefish
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
Seriouslyfish describes BNs as being 'relatively peaceful but territorial with conspecifics and similarly-shaped species.' So should be fine with any fish that won't bother it.

However, for Penguin tetras it says 'always buy a group of at least 6 of these, preferably 10 or more. It’s a schooling species by nature, and will fare much better when in the company of its own kind. Any potential for fin-nipping is also limited when it is kept in sufficient numbers as the fish tend to concentrate on squabbling amongst themselves. Like most tetras it actually looks far more effective when maintained like this anyway.'

This advice applies to many schooling fish, including the notorious Tiger barbs, which do not tend to bother other tank mates when kept in large enough numbers.

Don't know how many Penguins you have, but upping their numbers may solve the problem.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
If you are still after some new tankmates, the first fish that popped into my head were firemouth cichlids... though no science behind this whatsoever!!  :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
I have 10 penguin tetras in the tank with 10 glass bloodfin tetras and 5 hatchets.
The general mood in that tank is active, with quite a lot of chasing and showing off amongst all tetras, but no actual damage. I don't know if things would be different now that the plecs have grown quite a bit, and I don't know if it would be worth trying to re-introduce them.

I don't have any experience with cichlids. I've had a quick look at the profile for the firemouth cichlid and they are attractive fish. Think the tank may be a bit on the small side though (might have to consider them for another tank  :) )

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »
A south american setup sounds wonderful. My tank is a real mixed bag at the moment, with a variety of plants from all over and I have 3 X-ray tetra, a red neon dwarf rainbowfish, 6 emerald dwarf rasbora and a stophodon semoni. Really wish I'd planned my species better, but the next time I'll be able to do that is after these guys all pass on - really don't want that to happen but can't help but ponder what I'll keep next!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:17:36 AM »
Most things go with BN's so not exactly limiting yourself. :D  For something a bit out there how about schools of threadfin rainbowfish and green neon rasbora?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
@Cod_only_knows I like the look of the tank, and the fish seem to work well together. I wish I could take credit for it and pretend that I was really organised with the planning, but in reality I got the tank because I wanted a bristlenose, then whilst cycling I used the community creator on this site to find what else would go with a BN. As my focus was on the BN, how the tank looks now is more of a happy accident than anything else.  :)

@marquismirage that is my problem - too much choice. I find that very difficult because there are so many lovely fish, then as I'm looking at fish I see things I really like, realise the tank requirements don't go with anything I have, then go out and buy another tank. I have run out of room at home for more tanks, and even though I have empty tanks available, some of them are designated for specific projects.
I saw the neon green rasbora on PFK, they look awesome. I've had a look at the fish in that article, and my water conditions are too hard for the majority of them. This problem also applies to the threadfins.

My water can be anywhere between pH 7.4 - 8.0 most of the time, and the water hardness is 17dH. The BN was commercially bred in harder water than I have here, so I figured it would be fine to have it outside the stated range on the profile. I try to keep fish that are suitable for my water conditions, although I do get distracted and push my luck a bit sometimes (i.e. BN), I'd like to try to keep to fish that are happy with harder water. I do also like things that are a bit "out there" though. Hence the dilemma.  :-[

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
For me it'd be guppies as I have soft water and I think they are lovely fish.  With your MTS I'm going to assume you have them already or you don't want them.  :)

I personally like the Indian Glass Fish but couldn't find a potential supplier anywhere before I found out my water was soft.  Possibly because of the current trend of dying them different neon colours.  I'd want the natural variety.

You're in good rainbowfish territory with the hard water though.  Most of the larger species can be counted out.  Maybe something like Celebes Rainbowfish and/or the Madagascar Rainbowfish. 

One day I'll do a Madagascar biotope they have some interesting panchax and gobies too that you may want to look into.

I do like rainbowfish so of all choices above I'd go for Madagascar Rainbowfish after guppies.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
@marquismirage your guppies will naturally favour harder water too... that said if they are bred into harder water conditions they will fair much better and we all know what guppies are like when it comes to breeding!!... (wishing their was a rabbit emoji)

I would imagine that the rainbows would just about work in this size of tank, that said I must admit I'm a fan of smaller fish in larger tanks, in part due to the fact that I think its a bit mean to put large fish in little boxes in our houses.

Not sure what others think about this?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
Black neons are lovely, and I think a large shoal of them would be beautiful. Lemon tetras are also meant to be fantastic in large shoals. However, your water is indeed quite hard. X-ray tetras ought to be fine with your water hardness but I find mine very boisterous - whether the males are sparring or whether they're chasing the females, and they inhabit the lower third of the tank and often used to knock over the poor pygmy cories in the process, having no respect for those in their way, so I'd probably caution against them and advise on a species that occupies higher levels of the tank. I'll have a further think of suggestions...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
@fcmf you must be a mind reader as lemon tetras were the other fish I was looking at.  ;D
I could do perhaps 10 - 15 of each black neon and lemon tetras.

I was planning on rainbows for my 1.2m tank, with some synodontis.

I am a big fan of panchax and gobies, and I have another 200L tank which has been put aside for them.

I like guppies, but the breeding thing does concern me. I had a similar problem with my platies and had to separate them before they overstocked the tank - and that was just one pair.  :yikes:

See what I mean about so many lovely fish and not enough tanks/space for more.  :-[

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
I've been having a good old think about your dilemmas.

Would it be worth seeing how Harry The BN Plec gets on again in the South American tank? If the situation works out alright, then you could use the 80cm, 125-litre tank for something that suits your water hardness. If this doesn't work out or you are concerned about him by re-introducing him there, then not worth going down this route.

If the above situation doesn't work out alright, or you are too concerned about his potential welfare to take that risk, then that potential query will no longer be hanging over your head, so time to work out what tankmates to accompany him in the 80cm/125-litre tank.

In you want to keep it South American themed, then I think your black neon and lemon tetras option would look stunning as his tankmates. Alternatively, you could go more in line with your water parameters but that would mean accepting that it's unlikely to be a South American themed tank. Out of interest, would there be room in the tank of penguin tetras and hatchets for the lemon and black neon tetras, or do you think that might overcrowd it? Just having a think, in that case, about a potential Asian tank for the 125L, with the Indian glassfish in there and potentially something like cherry barbs.

What started out as an attempt to put this into an algorithm-type format to make the decision easier for you has probably ended up confusing you further...  :-\

PS. One of my favourite fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sahyadria-denisonii/ - unfortunately too large for your 125-litre - would be perfect for your water, so perhaps a future fish for you to consider if you liked them...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
@fcmf those fish look perfect for my river tank - unheated, highly oxygenated, flowing water. Most of the fish I have on the list for the river tank are bottom dwellers (sewellia lineolata & bulldog plecs), and as it's a 1.5m tank it has plenty of space for mid-water fish as well.  ;D

See, that's how easily I'm distracted.

I think that I might need some time on the CC to find out if there is enough room in the SA tank for both Harry and the blue eyed ancistrus. I certainly couldn't put any more tetras in there as I also have glass bloodfins with the penguins and hatchets. After I took Harry out the first time I planned to increase my numbers of hatchets, but have been unable to get exactly the same ones at the LFS, so there is some room left.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
Ok, so there is enough room in the tank for both Harry and the BEA.
The question now is will it be safe for them now that they are bigger, or will they by nipped by the penguins?
There is a pile of spiderwood in the tank, with space underneath (where the shrimp hang out), and I could take out the rocks and replace them with a bogwood pile for Harry & BAE, but is it worth trying to reintroduce them?

The alternative is the 125L tank, probably go with the black neons & lemon tetras, and soften the water a bit with the addition of some bottled water or RO.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated - even if the comment is "don't be a numpty Donna, if the penguins nipped before then they will nip again, however much wood you put in for Harry & BEA to hide under". At least that would make the decision for me.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »
Oops, sorry - forgot that BAE had been in the equation too. Feel bad for not mentioning him.  :-[

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »
@Littlefish Angles, Buenos Airies Tetras, Clown Loaches, Corys, Cardinals and BLack neons go well. My 2 are active and i see them very often in the 190L

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 12:40:08 AM »
@apache6467 thanks for the suggestions. I was considering black neons and lemon tetras, because the tank is only 125L/80cm. I hadn't considered any loaches or cories because I thought the bn & bea would be happier with the bottom of the tank to themselves, but that suggestion has made me think that it might not be a bad idea.
In reality my water too hard for all, but I got some feedback from the forum on that. I also spoke to staff at the independent LFS, (where I bought bn & bea) and they get their commercially farmed stock from a place in Poland that has harder water than us. We had a chat about water parameters, farmed stock/wild stock, and individual fish health/species evolution. I left the shop with nothing but the live bloodworm for the dwarf puffers and a head full of more questions than answers.  ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »
I would forget loaches for a tank that size, except for the rosy loach which might be too small to cope with the bn and bea. It is OK in water up to 15 deg hardness/268 ppm. You might just get away with dwarf chain loaches as the tank is the minimum size for them - but they are very expensive. All other loaches get too big.

On a tank size basis, most cories would be OK but they tend to be softer water fish. Some species are OK in harder water, you'd need to research which ones before buying.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »
Don't know if it helps or hinders, Donna, but I have 8 Lemon Tetras and they are very peaceful. The males display to each other but never nip.
 It takes a few weeks for them to settle in and colour up, once they do they are stunning. The eye is bright red and the body is indeed lemony. They were more of a silvery colour when I first got them.
Mine are in with Cardinals and Harlequins and Amano shrimp.
I highly recommend them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »
I was considering dwarf chain loaches for my 200L/100cm tank with perhaps some pyjama catfish/pictus catfish/spotted hoplo, basically a set up where the bottom dwellers are monochrome and the emphasis is more on the markings than the colour.
I would consider cories with the bn & bea, because they are lovely. I hadn't thought of it before, just need to find something suitable, and hope the catfish aren't too bothered by them - the peppered cories in the temperate tank are quite active, and even more so now that there are more of them in a larger tank.
As for the lemon tetras, I've liked them for a long time, even in the shop. I've seen pictures of them settled into a tank and I agree that they are stunning.
As daft as it sounds, I've got a bit of a thing for colour coordinating fish to some extent, which may stem from the South American tank where all fish are silver with a tiny amount of either black (hatchets & penguins) or red (bloodfins). So with the current tank I thought black neons would go with how dark Harry (bn) is, and the lemon tetras would tone with Bertie (bea).
Before anyone mentions it, yes I know it's a crazy way to choose fish (and I don't know why I do it).  :P

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank mates for bristlenose - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 08:50:38 AM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
by biffster
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
41 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 02:33:41 PM
by Diz1
5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
by Cichlidman
6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2016, 03:20:47 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: