Stocking 30 Litre Nano Tank.

Author Topic: stocking 30 litre nano tank.  (Read 10237 times) 9 replies

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
stocking 30 litre nano tank.
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
i am currently cycling a 30 litre nano cube.
so far i have filled it with dennerle scapers soil as substrate, some mopani wood, a handful of live plants and i have it running with a mini filter and 50 watt heater plus the recommended light for the tank.
the soil is acting as an ammonia source and is designed to regulate the ph to 6-6.5 (currently at 6.5).
is it best to leave it run its course as it is or should i add something like safe start to speed things up a little?
should i do any water changes during the cycle or just leave it alone while the plants settle in?
as for stocking i am thinking of a single male betta or perhaps a mini community of shrimp and some nano fish.
i know i would be rather limited regarding nano sized fish but what would be a good choice?
also, what would be a good single species choice as an alternative to a betta?
i am in no rush as the tank will likely take an age to cycle. 

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: stocking 30 litre nano tank.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
Are you testing for ammonia? If the soil is supposed to be acting as an ammonia source, then you need to know if it is actually doing so and what level it is giving, plus how quickly the filter bacteria remove it, before you can decide what else, if anything, you need to do.

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
yes, that is what i am doing. ammonia and nitrites are at about 2 ppm nitrate at 5-10.
as i said, i am in no rush to stock and have not yet decided wether or not to have a betta or a shrimp/nano fish set up and am looking for nano fish suggestions.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
Given that the substrate is intended to keep your water slightly acidic (and probably soft as well?) it means the conditions wouldn't be ideal for Endlers, but Ember Tetras or Celestial Pearl Danios could be possible options.

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »
yes, celestial pearl danios look very nice, sparkling gouramis would be nice for the upper level. if they are suitable for a tank this small that is.
is it ok to mix different shrimp species?

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:11 PM »
Most 'nano' shrimp can be mixed without problem - the common types ones you're likely to come across are Neocaridina (Cherry Shrimp, although they come in colours other than red), Caridina Cantonesis (Bee/Crystal/Tiger Shrimp) and Caridina Multidentata (Amano Shrimp).

The three varieties I've mentioned should all be fine together and shouldn't cross breed, however if you keep different colour morphs of Neocaridina or Caridina Cantonesis together, e.g Cherry Neocaridina and Green Neocaridna they would the cross-breed and the colour of the offspring is likely to be somewhat 'muddy'. The Amano's won't produce any viable offspring at all as they need to be raised in salt water.

There's still a lot more to it though - try this site for lots of shrimpy goodness.

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »
thanks,, plenty of time for me to think about it.
the tank is just about fully planted, i will see how things grow out before adding any more plants.
i have the usual vallisneria melting issue atm but it seems to have stopped and a little bit of growth is showing. no new shoots on them yet but its only been a week.
i had to exchange the original filter at the the shop as it was to noisy and put a fluval mini in there instead. i can hear this one too, it must be something to do with the tanks acoustics or something.
looks like this will set the cycle back a week but according to the blurb on the substrates packaging the active ingredients make it into a form of biological filtration itself. i just wish the ammonia and nitrites in it would seep out and clear.
i dont know if i should do a water change or not. maybe its best to leave another week and then re-test?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
i have the usual vallisneria melting issue

I just can't get the curly vallis to grow, I've tried several times unsuccessfully. How did you got about it please because I'd love to have this in my tank, its a lovely plant.

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
 when planting vallisneria it is important not to set it too deep in the substrate.
it is best not to cover all of the white part at the base of the stem. when planting a bunch of it try not to get any gravel in the crown of the bunch.
vallisneria is notorious for melting off at the tips of the leaves as they are easily damaged in transit. (the whole leaf will then die back) , quiet often it will  melt off badly as it gets used to new water conditions and people take it out before it grows back thinking it is dying off.
if you look around you may find a single bunch for £2-£3, at that price it is worth another try.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
The clump I started with has one small short leaf on it at the moment, so maybe it'll recover, if not I'll try again. Thanks for the tips, I think I probably planted it too deep.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "stocking 30 litre nano tank."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
36 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2019, 10:20:31 AM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: