Snails. Where The Heck Did They Come From?

Author Topic: Snails. Where the heck did they come from?  (Read 3693 times) 9 replies

Offline Jillypud

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Snails. Where the heck did they come from?
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My son has a 30l tank, it was given to us totally over stocked and in a pretty poor way. We gradually rehomed most of the fish in our larger 125l tank, leaving just a few smaller fish and one nerite snail in the tank.

The tank has been like this now for the past 6 months, and the last fish to be added were 4 dwarf corydoras, about 3 to 4 months ago.

All of a sudden, a couple of days ago I noticed some small spots on the inside of the glass and on closer inspection discovered that they are snails!!!
We don't have live plants in the tank, as far as I'm aware the fish aren't being overfed, with a feed free day once or twice a week, so WHERE on earth did they come from??

I'm scratching my head!!!  ???

P.S. They're not showing much interest in the lettuce that I have put in there to try and catch them!  :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Dwarf Gourami (6) - Panda Cory (10) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Cherry Barb (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Giant Danio (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Cardinal Tetra (7) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Panda Cory (24) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (8) - Galaxy Rasbora (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (8) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Panda Cory (12) - Dwarf Gourami (6) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Fiveband Barb (12) - Dwarf Gourami (7) - Panda Cory (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Snails. Where the heck did they come from?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
The usual cause is live plants but as there aren't any, that's not the reason here. However, you say you have another tank. Do you have live plants in there, and if so, do you use the same equipment on both tanks? It would be quite easy to transfer snail eggs that way.

If you don't have live plants in your bigger tank, I can only think that they arrived with the tank and have been in hiding since you got it. Assuming you have those tiny ramshorn snails, all you would need is two snails tucked away somewhere and you have enough to start a new population. Since they are hermaphrodites any two snails would do it, you wouldn't need one male and one female. One website reckons that even if you completely strip a tank down you only find 10% of the snails in it.

Cucumber might be a better 'trap' for the snails - and don't forget that whichever veg you use, you have to get up while the room is still in total darkness to find the snails on the veg. One thing you could try is using a screwtop jar for the snail trap. Punch snail sized holes in the lid from outside to inside so the spikey bits stop the snails getting back out. Put your chosen veg inside and leave in the tank overnight. In theory, the jar should be full of snails in the morning. Be careful that the holes aren't big enough for a fish to get through or they'd damage themselves on the spikey bits.

Or you could just leave them there. That's what I do now after several years of trying to eradicate them. They aren't actually bad for the tank, just unsightly.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
They are hardy little things! I've recently restarted a small tank which had been sat empty for about 2 months (but with gravel still in situ) - it had a minor small infestation prior to being shutdown and when I refilled it quite a few snails started mooching about again as if nothing had ever happened!

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »
I got myself some assassin snails and they're already chowing down on the unwanted snails, a very worthwhile investment :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 06:47:47 PM »
They might eat the nerite though......

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
Good point Sue I missed that. Apart from the ramshorn, i have 2 other types, one is dark brown and the other has a lighter more mottled shell, all 3 are a nuisance though

Offline Jillypud

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
The usual cause is live plants but as there aren't any, that's not the reason here. However, you say you have another tank. Do you have live plants in there, and if so, do you use the same equipment on both tanks? It would be quite easy to transfer snail eggs that way.

If you don't have live plants in your bigger tank, I can only think that they arrived with the tank and have been in hiding since you got it. Assuming you have those tiny ramshorn snails, all you would need is two snails tucked away somewhere and you have enough to start a new population. Since they are hermaphrodites any two snails would do it, you wouldn't need one male and one female. One website reckons that even if you completely strip a tank down you only find 10% of the snails in it.

Cucumber might be a better 'trap' for the snails - and don't forget that whichever veg you use, you have to get up while the room is still in total darkness to find the snails on the veg. One thing you could try is using a screwtop jar for the snail trap. Punch snail sized holes in the lid from outside to inside so the spikey bits stop the snails getting back out. Put your chosen veg inside and leave in the tank overnight. In theory, the jar should be full of snails in the morning. Be careful that the holes aren't big enough for a fish to get through or they'd damage themselves on the spikey bits.

Or you could just leave them there. That's what I do now after several years of trying to eradicate them. They aren't actually bad for the tank, just unsightly.

Nope, no live plants in either tanks Sue!
The small tank was inherited from a friend's daughter and son in law, and they'd had the tank for about 5 years previous to that! Tis indeed a mystery.
The interesting thing is that I have recently discovered that a friend of mine's daughter has had a mysterious infestation of snails also, in an established tank that has never had any snails in it and they don't have live plants either, with no new fish for almost a year.

The large tank has no sign of snails, but having said that it does have yoyo loach  in situ!

I guess it will forever remain a mystery!  :fishy1

They are hardy little things! I've recently restarted a small tank which had been sat empty for about 2 months (but with gravel still in situ) - it had a minor small infestation prior to being shutdown and when I refilled it quite a few snails started mooching about again as if nothing had ever happened!

Yikes, tough as old boots.

I confess I've been squashing them and letting the fish eat them, there don't seem to be so many in there now, but I dare say there'll be more hiding in there somewhere!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Dwarf Gourami (6) - Panda Cory (10) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Cherry Barb (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Giant Danio (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Cardinal Tetra (7) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Panda Cory (24) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (8) - Galaxy Rasbora (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (8) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Panda Cory (12) - Dwarf Gourami (6) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Fiveband Barb (12) - Dwarf Gourami (7) - Panda Cory (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »
Ninja snails! You've discovered a new species  :rotfl:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
Learn to love your snails! They are a very useful part of your tank ecosystem. I have loads of them, two species, and never have anything to vacuum off the gravel, they make a great clean up crew.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »
My unwanted invaders keep ending up in my filter. I don't mind a few but when you turn the light on and the gravel around my otto feeding stone is covered in snails it's time to do something about it I think. My assassin snails are starting to chow down on them but as I've only got 3 adults atm its going to take a while. I actually find hand picking them out of the tank quite a theraputic past time, then they get chucked in the pond.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Snails. Where the heck did they come from?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:13:08 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2013, 03:21:20 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 12:14:42 AM
by Natasha
13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 06:58:22 PM
by chris213
4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
by notungz
3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 08:40:45 PM
by Fiona
15 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 02:02:52 AM
by biffster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: