Author Topic: Red-chinned Panchax  (Read 4602 times) 8 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Red-chinned Panchax
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning all!

I'm now the proud owner of 5 red-chinned panchax. They're currently exploring my tank with the lights off. Will switch them back on in a couple of hours.
I must say they are really beautiful. They're a silvery-grey colour on the body, with black vertical stripes. The males have a red throat and purple and yellow edging on their fins – much more colourful than I was expecting.
Apparently they're prolific breeders, though the fry will probably not survive in my community tank. the breeder is local though, and says he'll advise me on how to breed and keep the fry if i want to at a later point.

Not sure what kind of species they are – maybe some kind of killifish? The breeder says they live for about 7–8 years.

Will post some piccies once everyone's settled in. :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Red-chinned Panchax
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
Yes, they are killifish. I can't find much about them on-line though, such as life expectancy but I don't think they are one of the 'annual' species.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »
Hi Sue,
No, the breeder said they live quite a few years. I've ordered some floating plants for them, as they do like to hide under these and I only have one pretty ragged looking one at the moment.
A thing I forgot to ask about them was diet though. Currently my fish get hikari granules  for tropical fish, and they get bloodworm or daphnia (frozen and defrosted in the tank water) once a week before water change day. I also alternate between fresh veggies and hikari sinking algae wafers for Percy, my Bn plec, and they all love these as well.
With this diet be Ok for the panchax do you think?  ???

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
From Seriously Fish

Probably a predator feeding on terrestrial and aquatic invertebrates and other zooplankton in nature.

In the aquarium it will accept dried foods of a suitable size but should also be offered daily meals of small live and frozen fare such as Artemia nauplii, Daphnia, Moina, grindal worm, etc.

Small insects such as crickets or Drosophila fruit flies are also suitable to use although it’s best to fill the stomachs of these by feeding them fish flakes or some kind of vegetable matter before offering them to the fish.

I know how to get Drosophila, but have no idea how you would feed them on fish flakes before feeding to the fish.
Leave a banana lying round somewhere until it gets over-ripe and wait till the fruit flies start to breed on it.

Interesting fact - did you know that one Drosophila species has huge DNA? This is why it is a favourite for genetic studies.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
I think I'll see how they take to the frozen variety first, together with all the other stuff that gets fed to my fish.
That reminds me of A level Biology. We were each allocated a number of Drosophila when we studied genetics.
Unfortunately, I and my lab partner decided (misguidedly) to 'set them free', whereupon they spent the next few weeks buzzing round our teachers head every time he tried to do some teaching – he wasn't impressed.
Needless to say, we weren't very popular in the Biology lab and I didn't take that particular subject any further.
 :-[

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
Panchax are fundamentally surface feeders, their mouths are generally designed for this.

The best way to get live Drosophila for feeding  is to invest in a culture of the variety which have vestigial wings and can't fly. You have to be careful to keep them isolated from winged wild Drosophila though, as the vestigial trait is recessive and the culture will revert to normal if they interbreed.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
Hi Richard,

Yes, you can definately see that their mouths 'upturn' for surface feeding.
This is probably a stupid question, but not having a good track record with drosophilia (see earlier post) how do you get hold of a culture and keep it contained. Bearing in mind that my tanks and their equipment are all in my office and I don't have anywhere else to keep them.

Having said that, I contacted the breeder yesterday and he said that he feeds his on frozen bloodworm/daphnia twice a week and general fish flake for the rest of the time.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
You can get cultures of flightless drosophila from EBay suppliers, who will also provide instructions on how to maintain cultures. However, it is fiddly and the cultures tend to die out after a while unless you are really meticulous. They are mainly used by people rearing baby spiders and praying mantis and I wouldn't bother with them unless I had fish which really required live food which floated. I'd stick to what the breeder does, he obviously is doing the right thing................

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:51 AM »
Hi Richard,

Great, thanks for the advice. I fed them this morning, along with everyone else, and they've cruised up and down the surface of the tank, hoovering up as fast as they can. Very interesting fish to watch. I'm very pleased with them :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Red-chinned Panchax"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2014, 10:53:49 PM
by andy
7 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 09:45:01 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: