Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]  (Read 15854 times) 168 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Went to MA to get some RO water for the first time in months.
 :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
Mr & Mrs Snail were "stuck together" on the glass and have just fallen off together.  ::)  Watching with intrigue to see what happens next - ordinarily, I find him lying upside down on his own but really hoping she doesn't abandon him to his own devices.

Update: Both upright and "stuck together" elsewhere in the aquarium. No point in doing a water change / tank clean until after the inevitable eggs have been laid everywhere, in case there's a few that can be removed.  ::)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »
I have noticed several times in the past that my fish have certain tastes in music
They certainly do not like Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, that's for sure - everyone sought refuge under a plant!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 07:26:06 PM »
Ten months down the line, and I'm definitely able to identify who's who among the cardinals, aside from differences in sizing/colouring - each has developed its own characteristics and 'personality' and is on the verge of being named. Argh - and I was half-hoping this wouldn't happen so that I wouldn't get so attached to each...
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
I keep more than just fishkeeping things in the cupboard under my main tank, and this morning I wanted one of those other things. Funny, I thought, no humming noise so I checked the multisocket. The filters and heater were not plugged in and hadn't been since the water change last Wednesday  :yikes:
Plugged them all in and waited half an hour then tested ammonia and nitrite. Phew, bright yellow and sky blue. One of the benefits of floating plants and a mature tank. And the temp had only dropped to 23 deg C so the fish weren't too cold.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »
 :yikes: but :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »
Wow, that's amazing.
Great to hear that everyone is alive and well.  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I also changed the filter in my betta's tank a few weeks ago. It used to be a sponge filter powered by an air pump but there was so much algae growing on the sponge that I couldn't tell it was a sponge. And water sprite has never survived in this tank, it just disappears bit by bit. So in anticipation of the filter change, I bought some Amazon frogbit, and once that was showing signs of growing, I swapped the filter with no media swap. I got an Eheim Pickup, the smallest one. This has an adjustable flow rate and an adjustable direction of flow. It is set on the slowest speed and it is on a side wall near the back corner with the outflow pointing at the back wall. I also moved some water sprite from my main tank.
To my delight, there's never been a trace of ammonia or nitrite in the tank. The frogbit now covers three quarters of the surface, and I have experimented with planting the water sprite in the substrate. I know there were 'filter' bacteria on every surface in the tank, and that 1 single betta does not make that much ammonia, but again the floating plants seem to have done their job.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
I also have an Eheim PickUp 45, for my quarantine tank. 

Out of interest (mainly into how you're succeeding in getting your Amazonian frogbit to actually grow as well as not turn yellow/brown), do you have lighting in your betta tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
I was a bit sceptical about the frogbit since I discovered that a lot of sellers are selling European frogbit rather than Amazon frogbit and this is the reason it dies in a lot of tropical tanks. But so far, so good. Apparently  you can only tell the difference when it flowers.

It's an AquaOne tank, though it was sold as just the glass, nothing else - no filter, heater, light etc. But I already had those so I was glad to get this tank quite cheap. It is a 30 cm cube, 27 litres to the brim so slightly less than 27 litres water. With the substrate in I measured 23 litres water. It now has the Eheim filter and an Eheim heater and an Aquael clip on light, the Leddy Smart, the 'plant' version.

To be honest, this light does confuse me a bit. I know that plants need a spectrum with red and blue light and some green. The K rating of this spectrum is 6500.
There are two Leddy Smart lights - 'sunny' and 'plant'. They give the K ratings as sunny 6500, and plant 8000 which means the 'plant' version is too blue and not enough red. They used to show the spectra on the website but it is on the box and that shows that 'plant' has a peak in red while 'sunny' does not. And I can confirm that 'plant' has red, blue and white LEDs.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
Thanks, that's useful.  I've since moved some of my Amazonian frogbit out of the fish feeding rings I keep them in to 'contain'/ protect them from the filter outflow and buffeting around the tank, to see whether the 'unrestricted' or 'contained' versions do better.

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2020, 02:22:58 PM »
Something I missed out - I feed the tank with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement.... every week or when I remember. I did have two pieces of wood, one with java fern and one with bolbitis, but the bolbitis never did well in this tank so I took it out last week. I moved a branchy piece of wood from my main tank which has bits of java moss on it, I'm thinking about adding more from the clump in my main tank. And of course I have frogbit too. As an experiment, I've planted a couple of smallish pieces of water sprite in the sand. If that does survive, I'll probably need root tabs for that - unless Matt says the liquid feed is enough.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »
Water sprite isn’t a massive root feeder and so it’s not likely to benefit hugely from root tabs :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
Thank you  :) I'll stick with the liquid fertiliser. The java fern and frogbit need that.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2020, 03:16:28 PM »
Been more of a back seat reader of the topics lately. I have just posted a new fish store review and decided that I’d post what I’ve been doing the last month or so. I now have a fully stocked main tank, unfortunately some of the Pygmy Cories have passed away but I’m sure I’ve pin pointed what caused the deaths. After some twice daily testing and additional water changes I believe it was accidental starvation (as my Embers are aggressive eating machines) or too high nitrate levels as I’ll explain why now.

I removed some dead melting background plants and replacing them with some fast growing stem plants from Tropica. These are growing well and I hope to fill the void at the back of the tank in the next few months. I also swapped my API Leaf Zone with TNC Complete, dosing 1.5ml a day and then realising my mistake of using a website that provided EI dosing and not cross checking the bottle instruction. So with complete I’m adding Nitrogen, which when over dosing caused my nitrate levels to spike. I have now reduced my dosage to 0.5ml x 6 days a week just to track my nitrate levels as I didn’t want it to be the reason why my Cories passed. In addition I have added more food for the Cories and tried to target feed whilst the Tetras are Bingeing on their food.

In more exciting news I have been gifted my second tank (which was a complete surprise) I am now a proud owner of a Jewel Lido 120 which has been cleaned and water tested. I needed to by some spares for it as it came with missing parts but overall has been cheaper than buying it all new. I’m hoping that project will start next year as right now my main tank is still under 1 year old and I have other commitments outside the hobby.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Congratulations on the new tank  :) As you say, even with replacing the missing bit, it's a lot cheaper than new.

TNC Lite contains the same trace minerals but no nitrate of phosphorus.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
Thanks Sue, It was just sat in a garden looking very sorry for it self as the person has upgraded to a monster size Saltwater tank and I couldn’t say no! I even got the stand if I ever decide to use it but with our theme of oak style in our flat Mrs Simon may advise me not to use it  :rotfl:

I did see that they do a “Lite” range which I will swap to but as I brought a 1 Litre bottle I don’t want it to go to waste. I guess it may last long enough to serve the 120 Litre once it’s running. Unless I can pass it on somewhere to somewhere it will be used.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
I have just found my betta dead  :'( He was fine during the day yesterday but didn't want to eat in the evening. he was lying on the bottom of the tank when I got up and i found him dead this afternoon.

I have been thinking for a while that when he finally passed away I would turn the tank into a shrimp tank with maybe some variety of blue cherry shrimps. But as I was removing the body I saw a juvenile red cherry shrimp in the tank which must have come in with the water sprite I put in the tank during the week. I have noticed that there aren't nearly as many cherry shrimps in the main tank nowadays, so I've caught about half a dozen and put them in the betta's tank. I hope one of them is female - or that I can catch more in the main tank.

I have been concerned about the bettas I've bought in the last few years not living very long so I had already decided this betta would be my last.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2020, 05:01:22 PM »
Oh no!  :'(  Sad news.

Not sure if this is of much consolation but I've also read elsewhere of bettas not living very long nowadays - in fact, it seems there are quite a few species of fish nowhere near as hardy as they used to be.

A shrimp tank sounds a great plan.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
Sorry to hear this @Sue  :'(

Can I ask where your purchased your betta from? And how long you have him? I don’t know if where we purchase our fish makes any difference in reality as they may come from the same breeders ultimately but it is also something I feel it would be worth knowing/factoring in if anyone decides to get one.

I am also thinking of perhaps having a shrimp tank next time round. The option to go filterless and heaterless (I am already filterless for my beta) is very attractive to me - from an environmental perspective. Do you think you might also try this out? I have noticed more algae in the tank since going filterless but I am hoping the ecosystem will balance itself again soon. The downside to shrimp for me is their unattractive feces - it never seems to take long for them to accumulate and for some unknown reason I never really seem to see fish feces in my tanks.

Also interested to hear what you think might have affected your cherry shrimp population in the main tank - I’m convinced pest snails before the introduction of the dwarf puffers were out competing my shrimp for food. Dwarf cichlids have sometimes gone for them too but they have never done so well since the introduction of the puffers. I now regularly see 15-20 out and about - given the heavily planted nature of the tank I’m convinced I probably have getting on for 100 or maybe more in there (there’s always more than you think it seems with shrimp!)

You should still be able to get your blue shrimp by the way - neocardinia and cardinia is species don’t cross breed and the cherries are neos and the blues normal cardinias I believe. Check this theory before you go for it as I’m no expert but it might still be possible.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: