Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]  (Read 15219 times) 168 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The loss of a fish on its own, of a pair or trio (I imagine) or a fish with very particular characteristics distinct from the others is indeed very strongly noticeable. I think new life in a tank, in a completely different form (more shrimp in your case), will definitely help.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2020, 04:08:14 PM »
Anyone noticed their fish behaving oddly today with the time change? Even although we got up midway between 'usual old time' and 'new time', my fish started moving around at 2pm with a look of expectancy that the light would come on (usually it's at 3pm), then started getting increasingly active with a questionning/intrigued-borderline-alarmed look at me as time wore on. I decided to put the light on manually at 2.30pm and immediately they seemed to relax as though all was now right with the world.

Offline Sue

« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
Fish do expect the lights to come on at a certain time.

A couple of years ago I stopped changing the timers. I have 2 LED tubes over my main tank and they come on at different times - one half an hour before the other and again a half hour split off time - so there are 2 timers. The timers are in a dark corner and I have to get a torch out to alter them. It is such a hassle trying to hold the torch between my teeth while I hold the set button down with one hand and alter the hour with the other so I decided not to bother. And since I'm not altering that tank, I don't bother with the other one either  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »
I haven't seen my fish much lately as Mr FCMF has been busy working up until bedtime and over the weekends lately, and he works in the Fish Room aka living-room. However, I managed to get a proper look at them today - and what a change! [I have done tank maintenance, but with military precision and slickness, with no time to admire the inhabitants.]
One of the newer cardinals has grown so much that she's almost the same size as the original large female. I seem to have 2 definite females, 2 definite males, and 3 likely females (curvy but smaller in stature than the other two) - either that, or I have two runts plus five healthy fish.
As for the rasboras, I can see some initial signs of ageing in Wee Harley - she's much paler, her gills are starting to look disproportionately large relative to her body, she's positioning herself lower in the tank or away from the espeis, and slightly nose up with a bit of concerted 'wading' to keep herself horizontal. I noticed a tiny missing portion off the end of her bottom caudal fin and also an espei chasing her, so likely it was bitten off. All very subtle but a reminder that she's almost 5-and-a-half years old. When her time is up, I'll add to the espeis to ensure that they have a proper shoal, but would prefer to keep the hospital/quarantine tank free in case I need to transfer Wee Harley into it at any stage for use as a palliative/hospice care tank.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2020, 07:30:56 PM »
I recently moved my big tank from the sitting room to the kitchen as part of a bit of a reorganisation of our furniture to make more play room for toddler and after Xmas I will be receiving an upgrade in the nano tank to double its size - a custom 40cm x 30cm x 25cm (to work with existing equipment and cupboard top space etc) which is far more suitable for a small shoal of nano fish - the place I’m getting it from are super busy at the moment with everyone doing up their homes etc etc as a result of the virus and I’m really happy for them as they are a local firm. I’m searching through seriously fish finding all the species that it’s recommends for a 45x30 tank and getting myself excited.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
I think Wee Harley may be en route into the next world. This morning, she was immediately under the tank water surface beside the heater, and spent at least half an hour there. A little later, when I next checked up on her, she was down with the cardinals, but by lunchtime was back up under the tank water surface. Of some consolation is that this simply seems like natural causes and that her time is almost up.  It will be sad when she goes as she's the last of the original gang - the 3 older cardinals are only just over a year old.

Updated to add 10/11/2020: Looks as though it's going to be a slower demise than I'd thought - phew, as I do like time to 'prepare'.
Updated to add 21/11/2020: She's getting increasingly pale and floppy-looking, and her panting has been getting increasingly faster; was hoping she'd make it to her 5-and-a-half 'birthday' in 4 days' time but I doubt it now... Just hoping she goes of natural causes rather than requiring any intervention or move to the hospice tank...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
The fish aren't getting their usual regular meals and treats today.
Wee Harley is "in the departure lounge", rested up against the filter intake at the top of the tank, panting fast. She's upright and not stuck/trapped as I discovered when I went to sit beside the tank and she moved and did a 'circuit' of the tank, floating backwards and around in the current. However, I don't want to disturb her again, hence keeping a distance from the tank (and therefore not feeding the others). I don't expect her to survive the day, as she's been so grey and weak-looking, despite my best efforts to place Hikari First Bites powdery food in front of her lately to encourage her to get some nutrients. I'd also rather she ran out of puff where she is than drops down towards the substrate where she was early this morning, getting prodded by some cardinals, or starts rolling around or lying upside down in which case I'd need to intervene which I'm reluctant to have to do.  I've lost count of how many times I've peered in the tank over the past 30 hours or so to check on her welfare...

Updated early afternoon: Argh - went back to investigate, by which time she was lying on her side at the filter intake, panting fast. Weeping in distress but realising there was no option by this stage, I got out the Euthanasia box and the solution prepared. In went the net to scoop her out - and off she went on a backward circuit of the tank, propelled by the current. I probably ought to proceed as I'd only be bringing forward The Inevitable by an hour or so - but can't when there's still some life/consciousness displayed. I think I'm going to hide / seek refuge away from the tank for the next hour or so, in the hope that she passes away naturally, while my nostrils feel like they're burning with the smell of the unused clove oil...

Updated again, late afternoon: She seemed to experience a fit, then started rolling around on her back on the tank floor. I reached towards the E box and she rectified herself. However, the others (cardinals in particular) were showing undue interest and biting her tail, so I've now set up and moved her into an isolation/hospice tank, where I'll leave her be for a while.

Updated yet again, early evening: She's actually doing better in this tank ie mid-tank, maintaining an upright position better rather than sucked into the filter inlet or being bitten by tankmates, and looking much less distressed. As her eyes are bulging and she's looking increasingly swollen, I decided that there was absolutely nothing to lose by putting in a drop of eSHa 2000 for bacterial infection... it might alleviate any suffering (temporarily) or 'send her over the edge' by bringing on a swifter demise to an already weakened fish (and thereby hasten her departure but meaning less time suffering if indeed she is).

Offline fcmf

« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2020, 01:20:20 PM »
RIP/SIP, Wee Harley, and the last of original cohort of fish to the tank (ie all current inhabitants less than 15 months old).  :'(
I left her in peace late last night, where she seemed (albeit I knew better) to be comparatively fine in the isolation/hospice tank - mid-tank, swimming against the current but panting fast, engaging with me as I chatted to her (felt like I was an ICU Fish Nurse), even showing an interest in going for food. If I were an inexperienced fishkeeper, I'd probably have gone to bed quite optimistic and renamed her Lazarus. However, I was 99% convinced it would be a repeat of what happened to Wee Greenie. Sure enough, up I got this morning and, even with the room lights off and only the hall light on, could see her lifeless body and exposed white belly as she lay upside down on the tank floor. Of some consolation is that, however it happened, at least no-one was nibbling at her if/when semi-alive.  I just hope she enjoyed her long life as much as she enriched mine. 

I think I might remove the chair by the fishtank, in an effort to avoid getting so emotionally attached to my fish. Maybe if I only view them from a distance, avoid eye contact, don't interact during feeding or maintenance, etc, it will make the end easier to bear.

At some stage in the coming months, I'll get the espeis some additions to their shoal.

Offline Sue

« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2020, 04:26:39 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Wee Harley. But as you say, at least she spent her last hours in peace in the hospital tank.
You did the best you possibly could for her.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2020, 07:38:09 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Sue - much appreciated.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2020, 08:00:20 PM »
So sorry to hear the sad news about Wee Harley @fcmf   :'(
She had a happy and rich life with you, and a peaceful end.
The loss of the last individual from an original batch of fish is always particularly difficult too.  :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2020, 08:34:04 PM »
Thanks very much too for your kind words, Littlefish.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2020, 09:43:10 PM »
Not sure what I can add to Sues and Littlefishes sentiments other than write something brief to say sorry to hear such sad news...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2020, 10:32:46 PM »
Thanks, Matt.

As an antidote, I could do with hearing some joyful updates on antics in others' fishtanks, when time permits. Not a lot to report from here lately besides Mr Snail's lying-on-his-back antics, which seem to be from being knocked off the glass by an espei, attempts to take shortcuts from the top of the tank down the glass wall, thinking that floating plants will bear his weight if he climbs onto them but not learning from the previous fall, etc.

Offline Sue

« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »
My husband bought half a cucumber. I hate cucumber so it lasts a few days. He cuts the dried edge off each day and throws it away before cutting more slices for his sandwiches so I rescued one of the dried slices before it got to the bin, cut the rind off as it was impossible to wash it as a thin slice and put it in the shrimp tank. It was amusing watching the shrimps climb all over it. When there were a lot of shrimps clinging on, the cucumber sank; when a few 'decucumbered' it floated. The following day there was just a tiny piece left being wrestled by one of the big shrimps, which was having trouble controlling it. They were drifting around the tank on the current from the filter.

I must encourage him to buy cucumber more often  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2020, 11:29:56 AM »
Kuhli loaches. I've not kept them before and everything I've read says they hide all day being nocturnal. My new kuhlis haven't read the book. One of them likes to hang suspended from the frogbit. The rest can be spotted scurrying over the sand from log to log.

And that's another thing. "Kuhlis should be kept on sand not gravel as they like to bury themselves" Really? I must have the only non-burying kuhlis in existence  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2020, 04:53:15 PM »
Absolutely loved both the shrimps and kuhli loaches stories, Sue.  :rotfl: :cheers:

Inspired by the cucumber story, I decided to put some in the tank at lunchtime, having to weight it down in the snail foodpot with a pebble. The female nerite, who had been nearby on the wood, crawled immediately onto it and stayed there for a while. I've just nipped through to see what was happening and she's clearly shown her appreciation for it, judging by the mess she's left on the catappa leaf (most likely a wood-and-cucumber combination)! ::)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2020, 09:45:16 PM »
I don’t know that my Khulis bury themselves but I do only very rarely see them due to their nocturnal habits so perhaps that explains a few things - you definately have ones that arnt conforming there Sue

Offline Sue

« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
I tried to post a photo and it disn't work; after clicking 'post' all I got what a plain white page  ???

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2020, 01:04:07 PM »
You have quite a few of them - more than most I think - it might be that they are therefore more comfortable in their group in your tank me thinks...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: