Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]  (Read 15851 times) 168 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2020, 10:18:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
All sounds good, @Sue, and particularly exciting about the kuhlis.  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2020, 10:03:53 AM »
Ammonia and nitrite zero this morning and the loaches are busy swimming up and down the back of the tank.

And one of the pieces of wood I bought yesterday has already sunk  :o But the other piece and the one I bought a couple of weeks ago are still floating.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
I didn't think I'd miss a tiny wee fish/species so much.  :'(  Wee Greenie and the neon green rasboras in general brought such activity to the tank.
 This evening, the tank is so sedate - very calm, so much so that the cardinals have moved from the bottom echelon to the middle echelon, sharing it with the harlequin/espeis, most likely no longer getting stressed out by the energy above.  It probably suits them well but it's highlighted what a void she has left.   :'(

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2020, 09:39:42 PM »
I must admit I love my ember tetras for the same reason - they seem to fill out the tank somehow the smaller fish don’t they?  Sorry about the loss of Greenie @fcmf

Offline fcmf

« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
Thanks, @Matt. They do indeed - just a shame that the smaller fish (pygmy cories, neon green rasboras) have never fared well in my tank, for whatever reason. Maybe it'll be a case of 3rd time lucky and ember tetras will some day... (except for that I've been banned from having any more fish given how upset I get when they die)...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2020, 07:58:16 AM »
I lean towards active tanks, and I find it very noticeable when a tank is calmer than I've come to expect. I can image that the loss of Wee Greenie and the rasboras have been quite a blow.  :(

Congratulations on your new kuhli loaches @Sue
I think they are great fish and have lovely faces.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »
Have you ever tried to remove 12 kuhli loaches from a quarantine tank? I ended up with about 50 ml water in there and I had to pour that into a net to get the last one out........

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
 :rotfl:
I gather they can be quite speedy little blighters.
I guess their net evasion techniques are quite advanced too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
Being worm shaped, they can squeeze through that tiny gap between the net and the tank wall  >:(

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2020, 01:40:09 AM »
I remember when I got my Khulis that the shop staff were all trying to palm off catching them onto each other and they did indeed look a nightmare to catch - I remember the guy that eventually got he job being quite violent in his technique!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
The chap in MA didn't do too badly catching them as far as I could tell - I was standing back a way social distancing - but then he said 'I don't know how many are in the bag but there's at least 10'. I can only assume he caught several in the net at once and couldn't get the extras out of the bag.

Offline Sue

« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »
The third piece of wood finally sank. At last. So today has been water change and sort the decor out day.

Instead of lots of little bits of wood, there are now 3 large pieces and 3 medium pieces.

A few weeks ago I put Amazon frogbit on the surface and started removing the water sprite (sold as Ceratopteris cornuta). It was getting very tangled and messy, and I've just taken the last pieces out as the frogbit now covers the surface.

Large wood #1 is cylindrical with a sort of knob on one end. At the knobby end is now a large anubias (I have forgotten the name  :-[ ) and at the other is a small species of anubias I've had for years.
Large wood #2 is also roughly cylindrical, and one end is hollow. This has 3 species of bucephalandra attached - crisped leaves, wavy leaf and Catherine.
Large piece #3 is flattish and has bolbitis on one end and java fern windelov on the other.

Medium piece #1 has 3 stems of bucephalandra Maia; these have been on this wood a few years.
Medium piece #2 has java fern narrow leaf
Medium piece #3 is standing on its end in the corner with moss attached.

Planted in the sand I now have:
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'. This arrived in the post yesterday and I am aware it will most likely melt.
A small bit of Schismatoglottis prietoi (the rest is in the shrimp tank)
A couple of pieces of Ceratopteris thalicroides 'fein'.

The plants on the new wood are tried on with thread and look a bit flattened. Once they've attached themselves and i can remove the thread, I'll take some photos. I'm not sure if I've overdone the wood. It looks a lot different from when there were lots of bits of wood in there, but the kuhli loaches will probably love it.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
Iva always really admired your approach to ‘greening’ your tanks Sue as I think you have struck a great balance between easy maintenance, enhancing the environment for the fish and having a good looking tank. Can’t wait to see the pictures.

Unfortunately I can’t report such positive news here. Many regular will recall @Sue recounting her luck with Bettas over recent years and the discussion we had about poor genetic diversity etc within the  market. This too how now finally taken its toll on my own fish. She had not been eating well for a long time though otherwise seemingly in perfectly good health and water conditions were always perfect despite her being in a filterless tank, the plants did their duty well. Tonight though she was found floating in the corner of the tank near one of her favourite resting places in the Bolbitis. She is no more.

For now the tank will remain a shrimp only tank, it may become a retirement home for the last of my dwarf puffers at some point - though they seem to be living well into old age already and show no signs of stopping anytime soon... for now it is Grettas old house.

Offline Sue

« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your betta. They do not seem very hardy these days. I too have a shrimp tank instead of a betta tank. It's actually more interesting than it sounds.

My tanks have evolved rather than being planned. I started off with a 60 litre tank and plastic plants. Then a 60 litre and a 25 litre with plastic plants. Then a 125 litre, 60 litre and 25 litre with plastic and silk plants.
Every live plant I tried died. So I gave up.

Then I got some java fern and attached it to some plastic decor. It survived and grew!!

The 125 litre was upgraded to 180; the 60 litre developed a leak and was replaced by a 54 litre (which was eventually closed down). Gradually, the plastic decor was replaced by bits of wood about the same size as those plastic logs and twisted root ornaments, with more and more live plants attached. So I ended up with lots of bits of wood with plants attached. And the 180 litre looked bitty.

I gave up on the azalea root as it still felt slimey and the water it was soaking in was still cloudy. But the three pieces of 'mangrove' are fine, now they've sunk.
And I am actually experimenting with plants growing in the substrate. The crypt I bought is supposed to be 'easy' and can grow in low light, so we'll see if I manage to kill that as I used to.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that Gretta has passed @Matt   :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »
Great to read your updates, Sue, and very much looking forward to seeing the photos.

Aw - what very sad news about Gretta, Matt, but possibly of some comfort that she had a quality life and lived and ultimately passed away peacefully/naturally without any medication dilemma / potentially aggressive intervention required.
On the topic of quality of bettas, I was just reminded recently that they can succumb to dwarf gourami iridovirus (https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/fishkeeping-masterclass/week-4-disease-management/practical-fishkeeping-diploma-week-4-day-2/) - I don't know whether that might account for any of Sue's or anyone else's bettas' demises?

I've removed all the stones from my tank, with the exception of the pieces of Tufa rock, so that Mr Snail's numerous episodes of lying upside down on the tank floor don't result in further cracking of his shell. I have an inkling, judging from his locations, that a few of his plunges have resulted from attempting to walk on the Amazonian frogbit which is contained in a fish-feeding ring and misjudging their ability to support his weight. ::) 
This week, I put some pea in the tank which I hadn't done as regularly as I ought to have - Wee Harley is the only fish excited by it (the harlies and the x-rays loved it) but I decided to leave what fell on the tank floor overnight. Good news - the cardinals and snails must have had an overnight feast as it was all gone by the morning rather than morsels developing a fungus, and the snails had left their appreciation by virtue of white snail eggs all along the back wall of the tank which often follows a feast.

Offline Sue

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
There has been some debate about which other fish can catch dwarf gourami disease but it's usually confined to other gourami species. I have not come across anywhere else saying bettas can get it. But my bettas never showed any of the symptoms listed in the link, so in my case it's probably due to some inherent weakness that seems to affect bettas these days  :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
I've found a few Australian papers which refer to DGIV as a strain of infectious spleen and kidney necrosis virus (ISKNV), and, in turn, this https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa182 does include betta on the list from this original source https://www.researchgate.net/publication/10610777_The_Pathology_of_Systemic_Iridoviral_Disease_in_Fish  In other words, although I can't access the full text, it might be that bettas may be susceptible to a/some viral infection(s) which affect the spleen and kidneys - unfortunately untreatable.

Offline Sue

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2020, 06:39:57 PM »
There could be related viruses which don't show external symptoms, just internal if we could look inside the fish. Without a microscope and knowing what to look for, I suppose we'll never know  :(

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2020, 09:12:37 PM »
some comfort that she had a quality life and lived and ultimately passed away peacefully/naturally without any medication dilemma / potentially aggressive intervention required.

Very true indeed - I’m going to have to move some more shrimp over into the tank - the absence of Gretta is too striking at the moment and the tank needs some more life in it... I’m going to remind myself of DG iridovirus now and see if anything matches... Edited to add - apart from loss of appetite nothing matches fortunately/unfortunately (depending on perspective  :o )

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: