Author Topic: Rainbow gobies  (Read 13188 times) 38 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Rainbow gobies
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
They look stunning. For some reason the forum software seems to have shrunk the photos.

Any chance you could try again to see if we can view them full size?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
OMG!!! I'm so excited my male is changing colour!! Every time he sees his favorite female he starts to turn black and his head goes blue!!! I'll try and get photos.

Dunno why they've gone small, I used my sons phone camera and he uploaded them for me. He's in the middle of a D&D game atm but I'll get him to sort the images out.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
OMG!!! I'm so excited my male is changing colour!! Every time he sees his favorite female he starts to turn black and his head goes blue!!!

How awesome! I'd love to see that.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
Its really weird, his bottom third and top third flushes black and his entire head changes colour and then it fades out. He definitely has different colouring to the way he looked yesterday.

I set up a large flat pebble I picked up on Brighton beach against another more rounded one, making sure there's no way they can fall and he's dug underneath the flat stone making himself a den. He goes for a wander round the tank then dives in and wafts out sand with his tail and crawls out the other side.

I'm going to take a video and show it to the guy at MA, that said I bet he'll stop as soon as I point lens at him.

On a more sombre note, my shoal of rummynose tetras seem to have been afflicted with whitespot overnight! I've no idea how that started, everybody else looks alright. Grrrr there's always something...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »
I'm going to take a video and show it to the guy at MA, that said I bet he'll stop as soon as I point lens at him.

I hope you're planning on letting us see this too...  :-*

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 09:11:51 PM »
Umm I'll try, if I get it on camera I might need to email it to somebody to post unless my son makes willing.

Simon do you have females as well? My male was quite a self contained guy until I introduced the new female.

ps:they love blanched courgette

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
Umm I'll try, if I get it on camera I might need to email it to somebody to post unless my son makes willing.

I'll be only too happy to help you get it on YouTube, help you set up your own channel etc. Or upload it to my channel if you'd rather.

Feel free to contact me by PM if you want to discuss further.
Simon do you have females as well? My male was quite a self contained guy until I introduced the new female.

ps:they love blanched courgette

I'm a bit confused about what I have to be perfectly honest.  ::)

I think I have a male (one is often darker than the others and sometimes has electric blue cheeks) and I think I have two females.

But my Jungle makes for a lot of hiding places and, on the occasions when I do see them together to compare them, they're usually up top on a piece of bogwood close to the light and this sort of washes out their colouration.

Mine love blanched courgette too!  :D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:34 AM »
You know what? My supposed same species females are completely different.

One has bands circling its body and very fine stripes and I do mean a scales thickness and seems to have a reddish dorsal fin. Its quite dull looking. Thats the one my male displays at.

The other has 2 well defined diamond stripes and the male just chases it off.

Hmmmm. Methinks MA is getting a mixed bag of fish.

I have pictures but my son is being grumpy and I have no idea how to download the pics I have. SF say the different species intermingle and as they're all coming from the wild I'm guessing the trader is just netting and selling them as one species.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:45 AM »
From what I read, they are fairly new to the hobby so no importer/wholesaler/shop will have had much experience with them. So I agree, the shops are getting mixed species all labelled as just one.
I'm more and more convinced as time passes that I don't have a male and female of one species but 2 males of different species. These were the last 2 fish in the shop so if they get any more there is no guarantee that any females will be the same species as either of the males  :-\

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 01:13:49 PM »
I've finally gotten a couple of photos that (almost) do my Gobies justice.

The Male (you can just make out the flash of electric blue on his head)

A Female (much paler but with an attractive red blush on her dorsal)

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
They are lovely  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
Hmmmm, just been to Seriously Fish. Females are supposed to have black stripes down the length of the body. Some of the pics on SF look a bit like the one of yours labelled as female and SF say theirs are males  ???

The problem with stiphodons is that there isn't much info on the internet.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:33 PM »
They are lovely  :)

Thank you. :)

Hmmmm, just been to Seriously Fish. Females are supposed to have black stripes down the length of the body. Some of the pics on SF look a bit like the one of yours labelled as female and SF say theirs are males  ???

The problem with stiphodons is that there isn't much info on the internet.

I know Sue, hence my confusion.

I feel the photos, of Stiphodon ornatus, on Seriously Fish are of such wildly different looking specimens it's hard to believe they are all the same species.

I've not really found any photos on Seriously Fish which I can say looks exactly like mine.

I'm (fairly) convinced mine are all the same species, and am guessing the male is the darker one with the bright coloured cheeks, and the paler pair are females. This guess is simply down to the fact that in most fish species the male is the more striking coloured.

But I am only surmising and would be happy to be enlightened if someone can say definitively.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
I think it's virtually impossible to identify Stiphodon species for certain by looking at photos. As Seriously Fish says "The Gobiidae is the most speciose vertebrate family and notoriously problematic in terms of identifying fishes down to species level.". The identification of species is basically down to anatomical features such as number of rays in various fins. Consider Seriously Fish description of one species "It can be told apart from congeners by the following combination of characters: first dorsal-fin with 6 spines and 1 soft ray; second dorsal-fin with 9 soft rays; male with pointed, but not filamentous, first dorsal-fin with spines 4 and 5 elongate; posterior tip of first dorsal-fin normally extending to base of soft rays 2-5 in second dorsal-fin; pectoral-fin rays 15-17 (mode 16); premaxillary teeth 32-40; dentary with 32-45 horizontal teeth;  female with 2 dark lateral stripes with a relatively large space between, lower stripe comprising 8-11 regular blotches, upper stripe thin and pale; all fins of female usually with faint markings; non-nuptial males with a dark lateral stripe below lateral midline, absent in nuptial males; nuptial males with blackish or sometimes orange body, metallic turquoise laterally on head; metallic turquoise spot on upper pectoral-fin base in life; pectoral-fin rays in male often having 1-6 somewhat obscure black spots."

Of Stiphodon they also say "Over 30 (species) have been described to date with at least a similar number awaiting description"

Also consider the distribution and lifestyle of these fish, most are found in very short streams that run down to the sea, the larvae develop in the sea and swim upstream later. Specimens from nearby streams may look different, but actually be varieties of the same, or they may look the same on the outside but actually be different species. Some of these islands have a very large number of streams, there could potentially be many Stiphodon species on even a small island.

As a professional invertebrate surveyor, I meet a similar problem regularly, people insist that the insect they have seen must be a particular species because "it looks the same as pictures on the internet (or in a book)". They rarely believe me when I say that there might be many species which apparently look exactly the same, but once under a microscope (or even dissected) the differences become clear. People joke about us "counting the hairs on a fly's legs", that's not quite true, we don't count the hairs, only the bristles 

A similar situation applies to these less well known groups of fish, looking at pictures may not give you the correct answer.

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
And of course the collectors have no idea what species they are, just "gobies" so they arrive at the importer with no definite label. Then, with little definitive information to refer to, the importer just labels them as he thinks they are.

I'm having problems with mine too. The chap at the shop said the last two he had were a male and female, but one thing all the photos share, regardless of species, is that females have dark stripes from nose to tail. As neither of mine have black stripes, neither would seem to be a female. So I have 2 males that look different from each other. Since males are territorial and mine ignore each other, I've come to the conclusion I have two males of different species. As to what the species are.......

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »
I have just got some more stiphodons  :))

The shop where I got my first two had some more in, though as my husband hasn't been well and I don't drive I had to wait till yesterday to go there. This time they were labelled as 'indie blue stiphodons', the name the wholesaler gave them. I bought 4 and decided to risk not quarantining them as I've only just taken the QT down after cycling the betta's new filter and my husband was complaining about it so I didn't dare set it back up again.
Last evening, all six of them were sitting in the same 4 square inches of tank floor, and I couldn't tell which were the old ones.

Time will tell if they continue to get on as I read that males can be territorial and it was impossible to tell the gender of the dozen or so in the shop tank  :-\

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 09:34:58 PM »
Looking forward to seeing some pics, Sue.  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
Me too!

I asked in my MA last week and they get all their wild caught fish from a major importer, so basically they sell what they're told they are getting. I have 3 different looking types of stiph. I promise to take some decent photos soon. The stripey ones happily lie all over each other and spend a lot of time in the plants, the banded one with a reddish dorsal fin mingles with them in the plants but gets a bit stroppy if they go near its home under the morpani wood The final type which I thought actually may be a male rainbow but have my doubts about now, is stroppy about every gobie and sometimes chases the ottos away. His scales are black edged, he flushes black in 3 bands along his body when he's territorial, which is most of the time. He's the only one that digs btw

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of these fish. These are ones that I was considering for my "stream" tank. They are lovely looking fish and their little round faces are so cute.
 :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rainbow gobies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 07:08:23 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 03:28:34 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2016, 07:34:50 AM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2017, 09:22:29 PM
by Dominika
26 Replies
Last post June 13, 2018, 06:06:29 AM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 05:19:06 PM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2021, 10:03:52 PM
by egg104

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: