Pregnant Amano's?

Author Topic: Pregnant Amano's?  (Read 5212 times) 11 replies

TigzFish

Pregnant Amano's?
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

Looks like a pair of my Amano's are carrying eggs.  Took a low quality snap of one just now.  :o

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Pregnant Amano's?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »
Always nice when your livestock breed. Not that you'll see lots of baby amanos unfortunately. I've never seen any dead newly hatched babies either, my fish must stuff themselves. Still that's better than seeing the babies just lying there.

Have you ever thought about trying to raise amanos? It's the thought of trying to adjust the salinity in a shrimplet tank to get it just right that puts me off.

TigzFish

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
Bit of a shock to see these two, must have been hiding for a while because I've only just spotted them.  I'm pretty sure the brood will end up being fish-food too once they are released.

Breeding them?  It's a novel idea and something I hadn't considered.  I wonder if I dare to keep this 64 litre FishBox going after I get my Roma up and running.

Oh heck, I'm done for now.  I think I've just developed MTS.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
It would be quite a challenge to raise amano shrimps. They usually die very soon after birth as they need to grow to adulthood in saltwater. And I think the salinity has to be slowly increased to reflect the shrimplets journey form fresh to sea water, then decrease slowly after they've grown to reflect the journey back into fresh.

I just leave things alone, and let the shrimplets die/become fish food  :-\

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »
My females seem to be always stuffed with eggs! Ive never seen anything come of them either though I did see my shrimps actually breeding the other week. At least, I think they were breeding! A male was chasing the female around the tank and several times I saw him on top of her. He was either cleaning her or was getting his wicked way with her  ;D

There was a member on the old site (may have been Richard?) who actually had a baby amano survive in his tank. A very rare case indeed! He did nothing special to raise it and managed to get a photo when it was bigger - must have been several months old. Ive no idea if the dear thing made it to full adult-hood - we havent heard from him in a while. But it was certainly going strong at the time.

TigzFish

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »
I've been reading the basics at ShrimpNow, and it sounds rather involved.  I don't think I'll be going anywhere near that to be honest.  Still, it's quite nice to see that the Amano's are happy enough in the tank to start wanting to multiply.

I wonder what took them so long.  The first batch of 4 were added back in June 2012, and an extra batch of 5 in January 2013.  Makes me think that maybe the first batch of 4 were all females and I've got at least one male in the newer batch.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
They can look the same when they are small, it's when they grow the difference becomes obvious  ;D I have 1 female 2 males and the male female is almost twice the size of the males. I know I should have more. I did have six, three older ones which have since died, and these three newer ones.

Edited when I noticed my error after Natalia posted  :-[

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
Hi all,
Again, sorry to be the sceptical one. I just hate when “myths” not knowledge is travelling over the internet and being repeated and multiplied.  :(
Many professional commercial breeders have tried to breed Amanos (imagine the revenue!!!!) but NOBODY succeeded so far. I am sceptical of any reports / articles on breeding them. The reports are – that the news of a success in breeding Amanos are... erm... grossly exaggerated. If you go on the net, you will see many people claiming they bread these shrimps – without any evidence whatsoever (e.g. selling/giving out baby shrimps, for example).
On the other hand mature females will be pregnant virtually non-stop. The colour of the eggs is how the actual stage of their development can be determined...
The report (Richard's?) of a “baby Amano” surviving in a fresh water tank may be (just may be) one of the “miracles of nature” but will be most likely the fact that the baby was not Amano at all! There are a few other species of shrimps which a novice can take for Amanos – and most of aquatic shops staff will not know the difference either, sadly...
So, I would just enjoy them as they are – they are marvellous creatures and tough like old boots for a shrimp.
Have a look at this article: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Caridina_multidentata
P.S. if any of you can find a single person who actually has own bred Amanos (with proof, of course!) – please, please, post. This will be a truly breakthrough achievement.  :) I am not saying it is impossible but the fact that still 100% of them sold in the shops are wild caught speaks for itself.

TigzFish

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
From the Wiki:- "Several aquarists have claimed to breed this species in freshwater. But as yet there is no definitive evidence to this."

I have bumped into the occasional forum posting that make the same claim, without evidence of course.  If it were that easy the market would be flooded with Amano's, which would also lower the price to pennies. My first lot of 4 cost £3.13 each, the last batch £4.00 each.

However, I'm quite sure as with Sue etc that once these critters are released, the fish will be having a picnic.

TigzFish

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »
Make that 4 carrying babies now  ::)  and one looks like she's gonna release tonight (blob coming out from underside)

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »
I've never actually seen mine dropping babies  :(  I've never seen her without eggs either. She'll be carrying eggs, the eggs will change colour, then next thing the males are zooming round the tank looking for her so she has obviously dropped the babies and sending signals she's ready to mate again.

You'll have to spend the evening sitting mext to the tank camera in hand  ;D

TigzFish

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »
Manged to get a shot, not very good though, but it shows the 'sack' protruding from under the female.  She's hiding inside a Cotswold Rock cave so I've adjusted the brightness and contrast (a lot) to get a bit better detail.  Still no sign of any larvae yet though.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pregnant Amano's?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
29 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 01:01:28 PM
by Sanjo
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 09:29:09 PM
by Dominika
10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 04:14:54 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 01:50:05 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 09:41:03 PM
by Dominika
2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2018, 09:56:32 PM
by Bazza2000

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: