Peacock Gobies/gudgeons And Galaxy Rasboras In Shops

Author Topic: Peacock gobies/gudgeons and galaxy rasboras in shops  (Read 3816 times) 6 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Peacock gobies/gudgeons and galaxy rasboras in shops
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I know that some of you have expressed an interest in these two species. This afternoon, my husband and I visited a local garden center to look at garden stuff, but you can't expect me to go there and not visit the Maidenhead Aquatics branch inside  ;D

This MA is in the north east of England, just south of Stockton-on-Tees. They had both peacock gudgeons (aka peacock gobies) and celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy raboras)

If you have an MA branch near you and you want these fish it is worth asking if they can order some in, if they don't already have them in stock

Offline Richard W

Re: Peacock gobies/gudgeons and galaxy rasboras in shops
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
You can also try http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk. But if it says that your local branch of MA has the fish you want, do phone to be sure to avoid a wasted trip. The number of types of fish in different branches seems to vary greatly. I'm not sure if all branches list their stock on the site.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »
Hi Sue, out of interest, how much were they selling the Peacocks at? I'm still on the lookout for some of these but have now found the CPD's I was after  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
I didn't look at the price  :-[

However, I have a decision to make which will involve going back to the shop. They had some apistogrammas, 2 males 2 females, with no label and no price. The chap who would know wasn't in yesterday and he phoned me at 9.15 this morning to say the they were A elizabethae, 2 pairs ordered for a customer who then changed their mind. Googling finds they need very soft acid water (GH 2 deg or less, pH max 6.5). I have GH 6 and pH 7.5. So do I take a chance on them, or go and get some peacock gobies instead?

Whichever I go for, I'll be back there today and I'll make a note of the price of the gobies.

Notice that the chap at this MA said they ordered the apistos in for a customer......

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »
The peacock gudgeons (that's what MA calls them) were £6.99 each or 2 for £12.

There are currently 5 acclimating in my tank. Hopefully 2m 3f. They were the biggest 5 in the tank, 2 have definite forehead bulges, 3 have yellow tummies. I forgot to take my reading glasses and had to peer through the bottom of my varifocals and gave myself a crick in the neck  :-[ It wasn't easy to see the fish very clearly, and I couldn't see the edges of their fins in the black net either. We'll see if I've got them right when they've settled in.

Note to self - remember the reading glasses in future!

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Thanks Sue.

New  :fishy1:  piccies to follow??  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
I'll see what I can manage in a couple of days. Let them settle in and maybe colour up a bit before I get the camera out.

One of the males (ie one with a bulgy forehead) has been investigating the inside of the 'cave' used by my previous peacocks. It is a tiny terracotta plantpot with a terracotta plant ring siliconed to the wide edge of the pot. The result is a tube that gets narrower at the ends, with a hole in each end. This is at one side of the tank, together with a 1" diameter plastic tube siliconed to a piece of slate to stop it floating. At the other side of the tank is another plastic tube/slate construction and a small terracotta plantpot saucer, upside down with a small hole cut in the rim. Hopefully, if I do have 2 males they'll be able to sort out a territory each with a choice of caves.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Peacock gobies/gudgeons and galaxy rasboras in shops"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 05:53:03 PM
by dbaggie
8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
by Extreme_One
38 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 07:39:35 AM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2017, 09:22:29 PM
by Dominika
3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 09:28:02 AM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post December 24, 2018, 06:42:14 AM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: