New Tank Time

Author Topic: New tank time  (Read 5626 times) 20 replies

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
New tank time
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So after receiving the go ahead that a second larger tank would be OK I picked up a second hand Juwel Trigon 190 at weekend. Well chuffed, it dwarfs the Roma 90  :))

Going to perform a full fishless cycle with this one but using a small about of media from the smaller tank I'm hoping it won't take too long.

Now the fish wishlist begins again. There will definitely be Ruby barbs, Yo Yo loaches, a plec of some sort and a Ruby shark going in.

I'll get some pics when I get the substrate, plants and wood in. I've currently got 3 bits of bogwood soaking in an old fermenting bin by the back door...

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
Re: New tank time
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »
i bought my trigon 190 second hand at a month old
for 20 quid  :yikes: but i also got a Roma 125 off free cycle
for nothing and a rio 300 for 60 quid

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
Blimey, £20 is an absolute bargain!! I was still over a £100 but at about £500 new it's not too bad.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
uhhhhh how much does a 190 hold?i only understand gallons.

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:44:01 AM »
No idea, I'm a metric man through and through lol ;)

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »
a 190 hold 190 ltrs = 41.7 gallons

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
Brian, I use this page when I want to convert. You want Volume Conversions to get from litres to US galls or vice versa.

Biffster has converted to Imperial gallons, which are bigger than US gallons. In the USA, the Trigon 190 that Gav has just bought would be 50 galls.

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
Why can't everything just be metric, it is nearly 2015 afterall....  :))

Off to the LFS to get substrate and plants tonight, I'm also planning 4 Panda Corys for the 90l tank as it's been more than 2 weeks of stable test results since I added fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
Why can't everything just be metric, it is nearly 2015 afterall....  :))

What!!! Americans use metric  :o They even have their own version of the gallon!

(Sorry, Brian, not getting at you personally  ;D )

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
What!!! Americans use metric  :o They even have their own version of the gallon!
It's a little unfair for a Brit to have a pop at the Yanks for their lack of metrication. They use the metric system and their version of the imperial system in a weird mix, just as we do. We still buy beer in pints, our speeds are in mph, our road distances are still in miles, the only reason we use as much metric as we do is because of legislation forced on us by the EU.

In the US, the military, science and engineering use the metric system almost exclusively. It's just that it hasn't made much impact in daily non-institutional use.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
OK, fair enough  :-[

The main problem in fishkeeping is the word gallon. Most Americans use gallons rather than litres, and they use American gallons rather than Imperial gallons. If someone has a 100 litre tank, Americans would call that 26.42 gallons, while a person in the UK would say it's 22.0 gallons. Unless it is stated which type of gallons someone is using, it could be either. This is why I always say US gallons if that's what I mean.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
It's a little unfair for a Brit to have a pop at the Yanks for their lack of metrication.

Exactly - there's far better things to have a pop at the US about! :rotfl:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
If someone has a 100 litre tank, Americans would call that 26.42 gallons, while a person in the UK would say it's 22.0 gallons. Unless it is stated which type of gallons someone is using, it could be either. This is why I always say US gallons if that's what I mean.

That's why I'd always go with Litres when talking about volume measurements in fish keeping - a Litre is a Litre whichever 'side of the pond' you happen to be on. Well, that is unless it's a Liter.....  ;)

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Every time any of the lads that worked for me measured in inches or feet I used to get them to hand me their 'Orange' which was the name we gave to  their terminal screwdriver. I would then hit them with it. They soon stopped! :vcross:

Perhaps a sticky somewhere with useful conversions etc might be useful to some? Sue?

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
i live in the uk but i always stick to the feet and inches
and pints and gallons  cant stand metric just because of the
EU doesn't mean i have to use metric bloody stupid idea   

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
mmm....have to be honest, I prefer, and still use, feet and inches. I can't picture a distance or measurement if it is given to me in centimetres. having said that, I am ok with either pints or litres. Perhaps it's an age thing...I am wizened and elderly ;D Which reminds me, why haven't we got a little old lady emoticon, not just that very sweet white bearded gentleman?

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
Ask Robert, Resa. I asked him for  :sick: and he obliged me  ;D

I use a combination of metric and imperial depending on what I want to measure.
For weather, I use oF, but for body temp I use oC. I also use C for fish tanks.
I use pints for volume, except fish tanks when I use litres just so there is no confusion over which gallons.
I use feet and inches for everything except sewing, because shops only sell fabric in metres.

Do we need a conversion sticky when Fish Calculators is in the menu bar at the top of the page?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
Metric's brilliant. When you're dividing up wall lengths for tiling, or working out floor areas etc then imperial measurements are so difficult to work with. If you measure a tank in feet and inches then how d'you work out it's volume?

The sooner we convert everything to metric the better..... and I'm on the (ahem) older side!

Obviously, the Daily (Hate) Mail would have a complete meltdown..... so that'd make it even better :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Well it's my thread and I will be sticking with liters, millimeters and centimeters as I work with it everyday and as Colin points out it's brilliant :raspberries

Anyway, back on topic, still no heater but the Cirax for the filter has turned up, maybe the postie will have a parcel for me tomorrow. The dust from the substrate is almost all settled and I'll head down to the river to collect some nice big rounded stones.

I was reading a thread on here last night about plants and somebody suggested an ebay shop selling them. Anybody happen to to know what it might be? I've tried looking back but can't find it  :-[

Offline Richard W

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »
I recommended Premier Aquatic Plants here recently, if that's what you are asking. I found the quality of the plants excellent. They have fresh stock flown in weekly from Asia where they are grown.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank time"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 07:07:36 PM
by skybluejay
2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
by graygang
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:00:30 PM
by Gav
19 Replies
Last post November 10, 2014, 08:16:34 PM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2016, 06:58:35 PM
by fcmf
38 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 06:22:16 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: