Author Topic: New Fish  (Read 3024 times) 4 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
New Fish
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
First I need to say that I'm not just adding more and more fish to my tank  :o

I bought some dwarf rainbowfish in March after I upgraded from 125 to 180 litres. Then I got a pair of Apistogramma borelli in July. The rainbowfish have grown, as you would expect, and the apistos went into hiding every time they came near. They weren't aggressive fish, just boisterous. For the apistos it was like living in a room with a group of hyperactive 5 year olds.
So I decided the time had come. Monday lunchtime I posted an ad on aquarist classifieds, I had an email an hour or so later and by late afternoon the rainbowfish were rehomed to a tank with red and bosemani rainbowfish.

But what to fill the void with? When we go to York we usually come home via Maidenhead Aquatics in York, which usually has a lot of fish I don't see locally with it being a much bigger shop. Only this time they didn't have anything I wanted. They did have two pairs of Apistogramma mcmasteri, but I already have apistos and these were £40 a pair  :yikes: They did have a gorgeous red betta with black edges to his fins but I already have a betta. And they had 3 dwarf pencilfish - but I want a bigger shoal - in a tank with a 'not for sale, newly arrived' notice. It's a bit of detour, but not as far as going there from home, so we also called in at Aquatic Finatic, Northallerton. This is the place I got my borellis from, and where I had a chat with the chap about fishless cycling. When I got the borelli pair the fish in the tank were small. A few were definite males, there was one definite female (which I bought) and several others too young to tell. I now have a second female  :))
And chatting to Mark, who agreed the rainbows would have been off putting to the apistos, I said I was looking for pencilfish or rice fish. I'd found the golden pencilfish but I missed the rice fish on the top row of tanks above my head till he pointed me in their direction.

I came home with a second female apisto and a shoal of Daisy's rice fish.

The problem I have now is that the rice fish aren't in the fish profiles on here. Which fish do I use a substitute in the community creator?  ;)

And I should also add that since the rainbows went the apistos have been out and about a lot more  :))

Edit to add:
The tank is 180 litres and contains
12x Microdevario kubotai
9x ember tetra
5x green neon tetra (I did have 9 originally but some have died)
Pair yellow honey gourami
4x male endlers (I think, it is very hard to count them!)
3x dwarf chain loach (don't want to get more as I've had them 7 years)
Trio Apistogramma borelli (one female is new, the other female and the male I got in July)
8x Daisy's rice fish - all new

Offline ColinB

Re: New Fish
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
Nice one! I've never heard of those before.... let us know how they get on, where they swim etc etc. Perhaps you can write a profile on them to be included on here?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Wow yeah possibly the closest I can find with the parameters is axelrods rasbora?

So I have to add on to sues bit here, the first fish in my tank were a bristlenose plec, 4 one lined pencil fish and 6 banded rainbows. In the first week the rainbows were a lot of fun to watch but the more I watched the tank the more I noticed the pencilfish sticking to 2 corners of the tank and at feeding time didn't stand a chance by this time I'd already added a few blue rainbows to the tank to try and calm the banded ones. In the end I took their rainbows to the shop I bought them from and traded them for cherry barbs ( which ended in a white spot and fin rot disaster) and a red tailed black shark. The Pencilfish now with another 4 added to them now swim happily all around the tank watching the danios zoom around chasing each other.

To my new additions which I got from Abyss near Stockport ( abit of. A drive as I live in Wakefield but work in Oldham) I have some Blue tetra and I rescued some Lemon tetras from Pets At Home which to be fair in my town isn't that bad compared to the others you go into.

My tank as it stands now has

A bristlenose plec
A red tailed black shark
4 panda corys
4 emerald corys
8 one line pencilfish
5 golden pencilfish
6 danios
10 cardinal tetra
10 lemon tetra
10 blue tetra
And last but not lease 2 chain loaches

The only thing I want to add now is 3 more chain loaches when my local ma get them in a few weeks and lastly the fish I bought my tank for 5 angels. Which leaves me at 77%  according to the creator but I know it's less than that as my filter is bigger than an external but not big enough to be declared oversized lol

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
I decided to use head and tail light tetra in the CC which brings me to 73%.
I have Axelrod's rasbora (Sundadanios) in another tank and they are the same size as the rice fish are now, and the new fish will likely grow some more. I've already had to substitute celestial pearl danios for the Microdevarios, and I've entered 4 neons for the 5 smaller green neons.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
Ahh I read on the profile the rice fish get to 2.5 to 3cm which was similar to the rasboras?

Funnily enough I nearly ended sup with a few head and tail light tetra when getting my Lemons, the pets at home woman dot catching 1 of those for every 3 lemons, I'm glad I checked before she tied up the bag lol. Poor woman was there another 5 mins catching me the smallest tetras they had lol.

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Fish "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
by brecon
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 06:27:19 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: