Weight Of Tanks

Author Topic: Weight of tanks  (Read 3650 times) 3 replies

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Weight of tanks
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
How much do I need to worry about the weight of my fish tank?

OK, so it's only a wee tank at 27L, so I'm guessing in total it weighs about 35kg?  That's still pretty heavy though isn't it?

I'm sure I'm fine for now, as it's on a solid oak sideboard.  But if at some point I wanted a bigger tank, would I need to worry about what I put it on, and what the floor is or anything like that?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Weight of tanks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:17:40 PM »
Hi Rachel,

I'm sure the more experienced forum members will be able to give you better guidance but, for what it's worth, I also upgraded to a larger tank (180 litres) a few weeks ago. I was told that the tank isn't guaranteed against leaks and cracks if it's not on a specially designed stand. This got me slightly worried, as my little 55 litre is on a sturdy oak table and I don't have any other suitably robust furniture to stand a large tank on.

In the end I got the tank and stand as a package and built the stand myself. So far, it's been great and at least if it does develop a problem I'll be able to claim against the guarantee and get it replaced.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
I'm sure I'm fine for now, as it's on a solid oak sideboard.  But if at some point I wanted a bigger tank, would I need to worry about what I put it on, and what the floor is or anything like that?

Water's 1kg per litre, then add substrate and glass, and a 180litre tank can be ~250kg, or ¼tonne, so you're right to be concerned about where it goes. A level concrete floor is best, but if you have a wooden floor then you would want the tank to go across the main beams where they are supported by either an outside wall or a sub-wall. Best to lift a floorboard to check for really heavy tanks.

Having it flat and level is really important, especially as carpets can settle and compress as you fill with water. So don't push the stand so the back of the stand is on the carpet gripper strip, as the front will settle more than the back. Ideally you'd want the floor to be really flat so the stand is evenly supported.

It is, however, mainly common sense.

With just a quick trawl, so forgive the piccies....

Good: The thick top sits on the legs, so the weight of the tank is transfered straight down the thick legs to the floor.

Bad: The top 'hangs' from the sides of the legs so the weight of the tank is carried by the screws that hold the top to the legs. So, even though the legs look sturdy, it's not as strong a design.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »
I'd never really thought about the design of the sideboard before.  Like you say, when you think about it, it's common sense, but I just hadn't given it any thought.

The one we have is the same kind of design as the 'good' picture, so that's fortunate.

Unfortunately it isn't 100% level.  Because of where it has to be and the change in floors near that area etc etc, it has to be right against the wall, and this makes it lean a couple of degrees to the front.  No one else in the family noticed it, but it's always annoyed me a bit, and now even more so!

Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Weight of tanks"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 01:46:19 PM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 09:08:35 PM
by Extreme_One
102 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 02:04:47 PM
by Littlefish
43 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 12:59:39 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: