Coconut Cave

Author Topic: Coconut Cave  (Read 3771 times) 9 replies

Offline GJR

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Coconut Cave
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi, I have just cleaned out and re-designed my 120 ltr tank, into which I put a shop bought coconut cave and an artificial log, which I was given. Since refilling the tank, 2 days ago, the water is very murky, I have put fresh media in the filter, but it's still murky. it was clear as a bell before the re-designing!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Cherry Barb (6) - Upside-Down Catfish (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Coconut Cave
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
GJR when you say fresh media, do you mean actual NEW media ie fresh out of its wrapping.

I don't know very much as I am relatively a new fishkeeper (Since January) but I do wonder whether the tank is going through a mini cycle and the murkyness is a bacteria bloom

Are there fish in it?

I'm sure one of the experts will be along to give you an answer

Offline GJR

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »
Hi Sanjo.......it's new filter pads, I think the mistake I've made is putting the coconut in the tank without soaking it, it emits tanning apparently. But the tank is really murky. I have a Talking Catfish, a Plec , a Blue Acara and two Keyhole Chichlids....all doing fine. It's a mystery.

Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Cherry Barb (6) - Upside-Down Catfish (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »
I have a coconut shell, split into two to make two hideaways. It was actually rescued from the garden where it had been hanging around unused for a couple of years.

Because of that I boiled and boiled it to make sure there wasn't any fat left on it and to kill any nasty bugs.
Doing that it naturally took out any tannins that weathering it in the garden may have left.

I got a couple of hairnets from Wilkos and covered the two halves with moss and they have grown really well, you can't see the coconut at all, and I didn't lose a single fish to any nasties so boiling it must have worked.

Perhaps you could boil the shell (assuming it hasn't got moss on it of course) to speed up the tannin removing process.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
GJR,

In addition to Sanjo's helpful advice re the coconut halves, I also think her earlier comment re a cycle/mini-cycle/bacteria bloom might be happening too if you've put new filter pads in. Did you take out and discard the previous filter pads, replacing them with these new ones, or have you kept some of the old filter pads/sponge? The previous filter media (usually filter pads or sponge) will be where the 'good' bacteria colonizes which will help deal with the fishes' waste, whereas discarding them completely and putting new ones in will re-start the process of cycling and needing to generate new bacteria (which may also partly explain the murky water/bacteria bloom). If, however, you have kept some of the older filter pads/sponge and have it in alongside the new filter pads, that will help the good bacteria to colonize on the new ones, and so hopefully will mean that any bacteria bloom/contribution to the murky water will be shorter lasting.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
The easiest way to remove tannins from the tank is to add carbon to the filter.

Boiling the coconut a few times before adding it will also work. That's what I did to mine. I used a fresh coconut that cost 59p for the two caves and I ate the coconut too!

Great tip with the hairnets Sanjo, I drilled holes into mine and threaded cotton around the moss. Very time consuming and not that effective...

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
Hairnets seem very few and far between Cod.  The only place I know I can get them is Wilkos. 

If you ask in the hair section of any of the major supermarkets as well as Boots, the staff who are usually young say "What's that then" !!
Makes me feel sooooooooo old

Mind you, I only knew Wilkos had them because my 41 year old daughter rang me to say she had frightened the life out of her husband the night before. 
When he came into the bedroom she had done all her beauty treatments and was in bed wearing a hairnet.  She said he literally screamed in fear and begged her to take it off!!

My son in law is the most laid back man I know so he must have been badly affected by it.!!  ;D

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
That's hilarious! I had a similar experience when my missus put on a face mask without me knowing. I jumped out of my skin when I saw her!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 11:32:01 PM »
I probably oughtn't to admit this but, having discovered a hair trapped in the mouth of one of my tetras during its first week which was very traumatic for all concerned, I bought a selection of very fetching hairnets purely to wear when cleaning out the fishtank. A great buy! Sometimes I forget to remove the hairnet afterwards, though, and some day I reckon I'll answer the door to the postman or a neighbour, or set out, with the hairnet still on...

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:01:50 AM »
 :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Coconut Cave"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 07:45:14 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: