MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) - Trials & Tribulations

Author Topic: MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) - trials & tribulations  (Read 9841 times) 29 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) - trials & tribulations
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've now been caught twice this week - once staring at furniture and clearly thinking about the logistics of some reshuffling (in order to accommodate a second tank), and once with a tape measure in my hand and having left the printout of a nano aquarium stand in the printer tray.  A definitive "no" comment was made, however.  Hoping that a massive declutter of our abode might make this a more feasible and palatable possibility in due course...

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) - trials & tribulations
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
I so feel your pain.

Even with the massive hint that a couple of WCMM may be pregnant wouldn't budge the other half.

I really should be grateful he said yes to the second tank after emphatic no no nos.

I'll wait and see if I am to be blessed with the flutter of tiny fins. He may change his mind though heaven know where I would put one.

Good luck fc, but you really ought to be more subtle.     ::)

The other half is forewarned now so you can't be sneaky

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
We now have tanks in every room of the flat except the bathroom and that's only because there's no plug sockets in there. I keep looking wistfully at tanks and eyeballing the bookcase in the corner of the front room. Room for another maybe  :) I could always throw the son out I guess and fill his room with fishy friends :)

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
We now have tanks in every room of the flat except the bathroom and that's only because there's no plug sockets in there.
Don't you have a shaver socket? Or you could use an extension lead!  :rotfl:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
It's crossed my mind once or twice Steve  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
Great to read of this - in the event of a "but we only live in a flat" comment, I'll be ready with a "but I know someone else who also lives in a flat and has a tank in every room except the bathroom" reply  :rotfl:

I have a cunning plan in mind, though, but, as Sanjo says, I'm going to have to try and be more subtle...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »
Thought this was amusing / a potential "solution" to those with ever-increasing numbers of tanks and rather importantly have sufficient funds for an additional property/mortgage! http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6975

Offline tracymeg

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »
I'm on tank three within six months. My other half thinks I'm mad but appreciates how I feel about them all. Time is a major issue for me and takes me half the day to clean etc but its all good.
Don't think fifty plus fish,four cats and a dog can be a bad thing. Could breed more children but they take up even more time.
Btw my bro has offered his 280l tank to me too... Tempted x

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »
Grandson number two told me Christmas Day that I might be getting his tank.  This  is the grandson that started us off by buying us one for a present last Christmas.

He is having so much trouble with snails and he has lost so many fish this year I thought it was because he was fed up with the hobby. 
I have to say I groaned a bit as I knew what the other half would say later and that it would be No no no no no. It is also a very small tank at 22 litres so can't get much in it.  I turned ours into a shrimp tank.

However, it seems our grandson wasn't so much fed up keeping fish as that he wants a bigger tank and our daughter is doing her version of no no no no no !!

He came to our house a couple of days ago and saw our two tanks and was very quiet.  He was asking about the plants, most of which are fake as apart from anubias and a bit of cryptocoryne and fern I just don't  have luck with plants. 
I also said that I do get snails but I am constantly on the lookout and the minute I see one it gets turfed out and should he strip his tank again (he's already done it twice to my knowledge) he needs to look at guaranteed snail free plants but, of course, they are expensive.

It took me a long while to get started with our Christmas gift last year as I wanted to cycle the tank (which I did with Sue's help).  They all laughed at me and told me I was too precious out it.

Apart from the first 6 fish from Maidenhead's which all died within two days and was down to them  (which they admitted), a hasbrosus that died through an accident when it got caught, and two replacement hasbrosus from Kesgraves, I still have the original fish (reading that back it makes it sound like Trig's broom!)

I do keep hinting about another tank but it is falling on deaf ears.  The other half it very keen that I do the sand waterfall which I mentioned a while ago and which once the decorations are down I am going to start practising with. 

The other day I showed him more of them on the net and he is even more keen. 
I have pointed out to him that I might be able to get it to work in theory  in my practise tank (a large deep plastic storage box)  BUT because I run an internal filter it is possible that it will have an adverse effect on the fall so while we have fish it might not be feasible unless we have another tank, a planted tank, just for the fall!
All he said then was, "Where would we put it, we don't have room"

I do try, I really do !! Off to do a water test now.

Happy New Year everyone

sandra

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »
Happy new year everyone.
I do feel sorry for you that don't have a sympathetic partner when it comes to MTS.
My wife to be has brought me a 180L for Christmas, she has seen how it has helped my depression having a new hobby that I'm actually sticking to.
:)
Oh and we brought a 60L for our eldest daughter for Christmas as well.  :fishy1:
I do feel blessed with having a such a wonderful partner.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »
I suppose partners are somewhere on a spectrum re interest in and support of the fishkeeping hobby - few, if any, will share the hobby equally with us. How lovely that you have a partner who is very supportive of your hobby, Alex - good choice of partner there, and so glad that the hobby is helping your health. Looking forward to hearing how your daughter stocks her tank.

I've come to accept that a second tank is not going to be an option as we simply don't have the space but am actually very content with the tank as it now is - much as I loved the pygmy cories, I feel that the tank is much better "balanced"/in harmony now with its similar-sized tetras and harlequins. Instead, I have a few options in mind of potential future fish when the inevitable happens in time, and, in the meantime, I'm enjoying reading of and learning from everyone's experiences on here as a sort-of "substitute" for additional tanks of my own.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
Nipped out to the LFS. Tiny dwarf pufferfish were at the top of the list for today's temptation; they require a tank of their own so, for any possibility of a second tank being likely, I'm going to have to do some serious decluttering...

Edited to add: ...and they require medium/hard water, so not at all suitable for my very soft water. The decluttering can go on hold then :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
I know the feeling. If only I had the space for more tanks ...  :fishy1: ::)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
You can keep dwarf puffers with other fish as long as you're careful about which ones. They have a tendency to nip long fins and you cant keep them with snails or shrimp. We've got 6 of them and they're endearing little things.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
I admit to quite a serious case of MTS, and have also fallen for the charismatic dwarf puffers.
My first few purchases (Oct. 15) were zebra fish, v. platies and leopard fish. After purchasing some clumps of live plants for the fish to nibble on I realised I'd also got some snails, which were breeding very quickly. A species only tank of dwarf puffers were the answer (sort of). The original fish are waiting for a new 125L tank to finish cycling so they can upgrade and have some more tank mates. The male platy has been put in his own tank to keep him away from his favourite female and her babies. The dwarf puffers are also being upgraded to another 125L tank (also cycling) because the puffers are so cute I'd like some more. One of the starter tanks is given over to breeding snails for the puffers.
I'm cycling 3 other (smaller) tanks and am spending a lot of time on the CC planning how to stock them.
I also "accidentally" bought a 200L tank earlier this year which is housing 3 young copper axolotls, who are likely to take the title of "most adorable tank inhabitants" from the dwarf puffers.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »
This is fantastic, Littlefish - I love hearing about others' tanks, and especially those afflicted with MTS and "given in" to it (quite rightly so). Axolotls look incredibly cute - bet they have some fascinating antics. Looking forward to hearing how you eventually stock your 3 smaller tanks.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
Had ;) to buy something from the LFS today, pointed out to my husband how cute a little tank was as we passed it, and just happened to take a look at the fish in all the tanks when there. Couldn't help myself, oohing and aahing with excitement as we passed from one tank to the next - the drooling was so extensive that I'm surprised it didn't overflow from my mouth and spill down my coat in the way that happens when some folk fall asleep on train journeys with their mouths open! Even my husband seemed to be enjoying looking at the fish. About 15 minutes later, having not mentioned fish during that time, I heard some completely unexpected and magic words uttered "just a shame we don't have enough space for that little tank", said in a genuinely disappointed tone! Oooooh, there's a tiny glimmer of hope here...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 06:40:59 PM »
 ;D

Wow, that's quite exciting.
Hopefully some future discussions on rearranging the furniture to make space for another tanks will be met with a positive response.

;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »
there's a tiny glimmer of hope here...

Time to be at your persuasive best methinks  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
Probably completely "blown" my chances now as I've got myself all uptight over the welfare of the existing fish - see other thread - and I suspect he'll say, as has been said before, that I get too upset over the fish when things go wrong in the tank and that this would be compounded if we had an additional tank. I'm going to have to somehow try to hide my angst.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) - trials & tribulations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 09:01:13 PM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 06:40:48 PM
by fruitbat
5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
by Mad_BMS
144 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 08:47:30 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 09:02:29 PM
by Matt
79 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 09:52:23 AM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: