Author Topic: Moving fish between tanks  (Read 6097 times) 20 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Moving fish between tanks
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yesterday I moved my male v. platy and 5 peppered cory out of the 50L tank and into a 70L tank, and moved the glass bloodfins from the 50L tank into the newly planted 125L tank. I emptied the 50L, planted it, put some of the wood and other décor back in, and have been running it with the filter overnight, along with some prawns and chopped mussels in a mesh bag, to feed the bacteria.
My question now is when can I move the platy and cory back into the 50L? I'm going to test the water later today, after I have cleaned some of the other tanks, but I'm just a bit concerned that if the fish are moved again too soon after the first move, will it stress them out? And how soon is too soon to move the fish again?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline ColinB

Re: Moving fish between tanks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
I moved all mine twice in one day - they were fine.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
Thanks Colin, that's good to know.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »
I'd take the temperament of the fish into account too. I've had some fish who seem to be very traumatised by any change (eg water changes, lights switching on) and others who are very relaxed in such situations. For the former, I'd probably leave a week between stressful events to give them an opportunity to recuperate; for the latter, I'd leave a shorter time.

I'd also take this morning's move into account too. If it was smooth and you had little difficulty in catching them and they didn't show any signs of stress in the new tank, then it sounds as though you would probably be ok with moving them fairly soon. If, however, it wasn't so smooth, then you may wish to delay the second move for anything up to a week.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 01:58:14 PM »
I moved them yesterday and they settled into the 70L tank almost immediately. Today they are pottering around as if they have always been there.
Now that I've planted the 50L tank there are a lot more places to hide and explore, so I hope they like it, whenever they move back.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
That sounds good ie that yesterday's transition was smooth, and bodes well for their return to the 50L which I'm sure they'll enjoy.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »
Moving the fish back to the 50L tank went well.
I have now moved the fish from the 70L temperate tank into the 70L quarantine tank so I can do some more planting. That move did not go quite so smoothly, as the female platy have always been a bit wary of the net. I can see them having to stay in the quarantine tank a lot longer before moving them back, to avoid too much stress.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
I was in a newly opened fish shop yesterday and while I was browsing noticed an infra red net. Apparently fish aren't able to see it  ???

I've moved my fish several times Donna and they've been fine and I'm sure with the care and attention you give yours they'll recover quite quickly.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
The peppered cory, zebra danio and leopard danio seem ok. The female platy are none too impressed.
Actually I can see Booboo (the one that didn't get pregnant) at the front of the tank now, probably wondering where the food is. She is quite big and a bit of time without food will probably do her the world of good.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
Infra red net????? Is this some sort of Star Trek tractor beam thingy??? The physicist in me is curious to the point of dubiosity!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »
Me too!  :yikes:

After a quick Google it seems it is just a red net made by Penn Plax which means "Some fish like catfish have a hard time seeing this net and become easier to catch. Other fish like swordtails can see it just like any other net"

See http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/red-fishnets for more detail

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
If only someone would invent a teleporter so I wouldn't have to chase fish around the tank with a net.
Actually, if I'd planted the tanks when I started I wouldn't be moving fish around to plant the tanks now. Doh!  :-[

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
Infra red net????? Is this some sort of Star Trek tractor beam thingy??? The physicist in me is curious to the point of dubiosity!

IKR! I had a quiet internal snigger when I spotted it.

BTW Donna catching fish in a planted tank is a nightmare. Luckily my sparklers were relatively easy to catch after I moved out the heater, the filter and the bogwood. We managed to nudge them in the net with a bamboo skewer.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 05:26:31 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 3
You really need two nets to catch fish. I find that using a  small white net to chase fish into a larger green one held still is best, the green one perhaps looks like plants to fish and so they are more likely to swim into it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 06:20:16 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I feel like a bit of a prune for not thinking of that idea for myself.  :-[
Two nets would make things a bit easier, so I will get a green net this week, before trying to move my fish back into the planted 70L tank.  :cheers:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 08:32:40 AM »
You really need two nets to catch fish. I find that using a  small white net to chase fish into a larger green one held still is best, the green one perhaps looks like plants to fish and so they are more likely to swim into it.

Awesome tip!  :cheers:

I will get a green net this week, before trying to move my fish back into the planted 70L tank.  :cheers:

I'll be getting one as well, Donna. Just for any future need to catch fish.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

My catch net is a big brown one which was perfect in the shrimpery as it has a black background. Methinks I'll be buying a green net. Great tip Richard.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »

My catch net is a big brown one which was perfect in the shrimpery as it has a black background. Methinks I'll be buying a green net. Great tip Richard.

I agree, that is a good tip!  :cheers:

My small net (which I use to do the chasing) is green, and the large net is white, so my set up is the opposite way round.  Oops. :-[

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Good lord, catching fish with 2 nets makes life so much easier. Thanks Richard.
It took me a fraction of the time to return all fish to the planted 70L temperate tank, and the fish seem less stressed about the whole thing as well.
Hooray!
 :cheers:
Just a few more bits to pick up on Friday and hopefully I can spend the rest of the day moving tanks around.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
Great stuff! :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving fish between tanks"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 11:43:26 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2014, 11:18:03 PM
by Wild Rover
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 07:50:08 AM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 12:09:21 PM
by Sue
39 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:49:36 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 06:22:40 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: