Link For Resa (and Sue!) - And General 'I Want This Fish' Chat!

Author Topic: Link for Resa (and Sue!) - And general 'I want this fish' chat!  (Read 12185 times) 43 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Link for Resa (and Sue!) - And general 'I want this fish' chat!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ooh I had no idea you were a teacher Colin, great stuff! Haha they do look very strange. I was looking them up out of pure curiosity, one site said they were a 'de-evolved' (but a more scientific word for it!) form of salamander as you said that doesn't mature. How strange. Such a strange choice of a pet but I can see the appeal now I've been looking at them for 20 minutes (I really need to tidy my flat, so you can see why googling these is a better and more appealing use of my time :p). For some reason I've already seen this creature before but I can't for the life of me remember why!

I really want another fish tank now... every thing I see I'm intrigued by! 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
Was a teacher now, I'm afraid (Physics). Successive government interference took all the joy out of it. *sigh*

If I had something other than fish and cats, I'd go for a Bearded Dragon:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
Anyone seen an axolotl before? The same LFS is selling them with a tank for £100 - they're such funny looking things!

Oh Jesnon, he's wicked! A face only a mother could love! My son is now pestering for one of these chaps....honestly, you'd think he was 5! ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
I still think those little guys are awesome!

I've been making some not so subtle hints about my desire for a new tank. Yesterday was told to save my pennies then - am taking this as progress! I would love a big tank, but was thinking maybe another small tank would be easier to swing! And I always thought dumbo ear bettas were pretty cute! I'd still love to go marine but I just can't get my head around it yet!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
Good news!

If space is a problem, you could go for the bigger Edge which has the same footprint as the one you already have. You would still be restricted to fish that don't need a long tank, but you could have more of them. Of course, a betta might not be suitable......

Offline ColinB

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
I'd still love to go marine but I just can't get my head around it yet!

He's some no-so-light reading to help with the head-getting-round scenario: Put the kettle on!  ;D

Just found this while searching for something else. You'll need another brew-up!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
Ooh I could do. I need to look into bigger tanks really.

With my very hard 8.2ph water is there any pretty fish that you'd suggest to tempt in a not particularly big tank? Say a few bigger fish?

And Colin thanks for the links, think marine will have to be something I try after lots of saving up then!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
And Colin thanks for the links, think marine will have to be something I try after lots of saving up then!

....or there's this at a smidge under £100

Offline jesnon

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »
Hmmm now that is tempting! Though I read nano tanks for marine are the same as nano tanks for tropical in that they are harder to keep as stable environments (not that I've had that problem really with my little edge). I'm guessing due to the size of that tank you can't actually keep any fish though like our beloved B&W angels. Hmmm. It would still make a fine introduction to marine tank keeping though... *ponders*. You know - it's my birthday coming up in a month or so too and my parents were asking after what I wanted :-P

Looks like I need to get reading! A pain when I only have a dongle since Sky are being daft about fitting our internet since our flat apparently doesn't exist!

Edit: thinking about it, I'm sure this tank was at my local MA. Gorgeous little thing!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
There you go! Birthday and house-warming pressie - what's not to like? 8)

My local MA has one ticking over on the counter. They have soft corals in it, the occasional shrimp & hermit crab, and a small gobi or two. They do have the advantage of putting a small stock fish in, and then putting it back in the main tanks if/when it got too big.

Hold on, Jesnon.... I've another idea. Back in a few mins after googling stuff!!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »
OK.... I'm back!

Quite a few people seem to have used the 55litre AquaOne 40 cube (the same I have for freshwater) as a marine tank.... and a pair of Clown fish seem to be the popular addition - along with live rock and inverts. The tanks are £100 (tho' I've occasionally seen them for £75 at P@H), but if you want to keep corals then the light needs upgrading.

Here's a thread (plus piccies) in another forum about it, and googling aqua one nano 40 marine pulled up loads of links. I was/am sort of interested, but unsure, about turning to the salty side. More difficult it is.  ;D ....but you know that!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »
Thanks for this Colin! looks like I need to get reading! It looks like that may be a tank worth getting either way - small enough to hopefully fit in my little flat but big enough to open lots of other fishy possibilities. Looks like I need to get reading! hopefully my internet will be sorted soon so I can do a bit of proper googling!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
I've been pondering it over and I think I will have to put my salty fish desires on hold for a while longer. Since I'm still only renting my current flat contract is only for 6 months so the possibility of moving is always quite imminent - it was stressful enough with my little fish tank let alone a whole marine tank too! It looks like the costs would also soon stack up unless I went for a cheaper 'all built in' model like that little one you posted Colin, so I need to get saving! Hopefully when I'm more settled and not prone to move at the drop of a hat then I can finally get a marine tank!

I still have the Bristol fish shop on my Facebook - I think I'll keep it as it means I get to see things like this guppy:

Thought Sue might want to see this 'blue pearl' fighter too!

Offline Resa

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
Good thinking, Jesnon....moving a marine tank is a whole new load of worry! My son had to move his one and all its inhabitants when they moved house....very stressful. Still, it gives you time to do your homework on the 'salty side' so you will be expert at it all when the time comes ;)

What a fantastic looking guppy...he looks the same colour as my Rafe. The blue-pearl fighter is lovely too.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
Ha yes I hope so! I think I'll get researching and planning the perfect tank, hehe. It was definitely stressful enough moving my little tank, without having to worry about expensive delicate fish and scary sounding corals too!

Yes he does look more like a fighter doesn't he!? Very pretty. I'm still quite tempted to get another small tank, though where to put it is still questionable!

Offline Resa

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »
Yeah...get another tank, you know you want to ;) How about a little one in your bathroom? Then you can properly chillax when you're in the bath :D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
Our bathroom is actually quite big so I'm sure a tank would fit nicely in there ha, but we don't have any windows in either of our bathrooms unfortunately :-(

Offline Resa

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
Why do you need windows? Back in the UK, the LFS near to us and indeed the one I worked at as a Saturday girl, (back when Noah's cat was a kitten ;D ) had dark rooms for their tanks, they looked amazing. Maybe though, that's not what you should do these days...I don't know, thinking changes all the time :-\
Someone on here will know for sure.
What do you think people?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
Hmm actually thinking about it, I guess if the fish have their own 'light' maybe it doesn't matter? I guess at least you won't have any excess algae problems caused by sunlight ha! Though again thinking about it I don't have any normal non-shaver plugs in my bathroom anyway ^^; (I'm not doing too well with this ha!)

But I'm still intrigued by the answer to this!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
Rather than dragging my other thread even further off topic I thought I'd post this here!

I got a very quick look into one of the MAs in my new area. .. looked great! Seemed to have a huge variety of fish there and I spotted some endlers described as 'blonde endler guppies' which looked lovely.  They had a huge selection of guppies. I may be restocking my fish in a couple of weeks assuming I have no more casualties.  Fingers crossed but looking more settled now. ..

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Link for Resa (and Sue!) - And general 'I want this fish' chat!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 05:00:05 PM
by Yourpetswarehouse
1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 09:14:40 PM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 09:18:54 AM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 11:46:31 PM
by Helen
86 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 03:42:17 AM
by Hampalong
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2020, 06:09:35 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: