Krib Eggs In The Open.

Author Topic: Krib eggs in the open.  (Read 4014 times) 6 replies

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
Krib eggs in the open.
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I looked in on my Krib tank earlier and noticed they have spawned again, this is their third lot.
What interested me this time was they laid the eggs on a piece of bg wood in the open and not in a cave where from what I've read they normally do lay.
I was wondering if it is because they don't feel as threatened in there seeing as they are on their own with about 5-6 of their last litter and no other fish to really worry about?

Out of Interest there is around 50-60 eggs and they appear to be moving slightly so not far off hatching.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Krib eggs in the open.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
How have the parents been with eggs and older fry in the same tank? With apistogrammas, they are supposed to attack the older fry when they spawn again, though I've no experience of it.

Interesting about the site they chose. Fish do seem to do what they want regardless of what the books say. I once had a pair of honey gouramis where the male never made a bubble nest, he just put the eggs round the filter cable.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:27:08 PM »
Hi Sue,

Well the first lot of fry they had in a community tank and bit by bit they got picked off by the other fish even though the parents did their best to guard them, I managed to save 8 and I put them in a small 24 liter tank by themselves, I have rehomed 4 of them and I have a fish shop that will give me credit for them when they get bigger.

So I moved them to another tank with 5 x Danio as dither fish, they spawned and had about 70 fry, so I removed the Danio and left the Kribs by themselves, I decided to let nature take it's course and I would see what happens next, they were great parents and the fry followed them around as normal.
Then I noticed that the fry seemed to be missing, I could spot about 6 and no more, I searched online and I read that sometimes if the male wants to spawn again he can eat the fry, so I am presuming this is what happened, so there is about 6 of the second spawn but they are still small.
I think I will try and net the remaining fry out and put them with the first spawn, if I can catch them lol.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »
You are quite right in my experience sue. I have found with my apistograma that when the fry get to a size that they can be on there own and the pair are ready to breed the pair with attack and chase the fry away.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »
Something very strange is going on!

I looked at the Kribs last night and all the eggs had gone but...  The male was guarding a cave that the female was in, I presumed they had moved the eggs or they had hatched and they took them in there or eaten them.

This morning I looked and the same thing the male guarding the cave,  I thought I would do a small water change on that tank, got the gear ready and...  Got a shock,  they had laid another batch of eggs on the bog wood or they had moved them again, this time there didn't seem as many but still a lot, possibly 50 eggs.

I still did the water change making sure I kept to the other end of the tank, I thought some fresh water will do no harm any way but I didn't do a gravel vac so as not to disturb them any more.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they had moved them. Maybe they decided that out in the open wasn't safe enough.

I only have cockatoo apistos. The pair I had last year, the male ate the eggs if he could get at them, and the fry if the eggs lasted long enough to hatch. The only time I had fry survive was when I removed the male as soon as the eggs were laid leaving just the female and eggs alone in the tank. Your male krib seems to be a much better father  :)

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Well update:

I'm baffled now, I had a look not long ago and I got another shock, the eggs are back on the bogwood!
There seems to be around 80+ eggs, the male is guarding them but the female in busy to a fro between 2 caves, sometimes she visits the pile of eggs on the bogwood and the male goes in the caves, then he returns and she goes in the caves, first one then the other.

I am now wondering if they have gone overboard and got 2 or 3 spawns going at once.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Krib eggs in the open."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 07:28:54 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 01:42:16 PM
by sunshine
2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 06:53:42 PM
by Silksheen
62 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 12:40:07 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2015, 02:48:58 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
by Cichlidman

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: