Intelligent Fish...?

Author Topic: Intelligent Fish...?  (Read 700 times)

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Intelligent Fish...?
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Fish are rarely credited with much intelligence, outside of obviously strong instincts etc... 

I'm just curious now about the how and the why was it that when I started with one Platy in my community tank, he was peaceful...  When I added two more, all hell broke loose...  The two new ones were an entirely different colour, but the original one wasn't fooled for one second, he knew immediately that he'd suddenly been endowed with two new males of the same species, regardless of how different they looked...  That appears to me to be more than simply instinct...

The question I pose here is whether or not fish are more intelligent than we often give them credit for...?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Intelligent Fish...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
Sounds as though he wasn't pleased with his tank having more than himself as the one male platy in it.

I've always thought that fish are more intelligent than given credit for. Additionally, it's amazing how much human behaviour (eg office politics) resembles what goes on in a fishtank. I strongly recommend you read this http://jonathan-balcombe.com/what-a-fish-knows/

Fish Community Creator Tanks
X-ray Tetra (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Blue Tetra (1) - Ember Tetra (1) - Golden Pencilfish (2) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Lampeye Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
And we cant forget the RS Fish School training kit <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hq8In8STs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hq8In8STs</a>

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »
I know I read somewhere that it was shown that goldfish have more like a 3 month memory than the commonly thought 3 second memory...

Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (5) - Chain Loach (4) - Honey Gourami (2) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Sparkling Gourami (6) - Coolie Loach (2) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »
I read somewhere that the 3 second memory was a Jasper Carrot joke - the goldfish swims once round its bowl, then because it can't remember it was there before, it swims round again. And again.

Fish do have more intelligence than we give them credit for, particularly the predatory fish. A bit like cows vs lions. Shoaling fish just need to know to stay in a group but their predators need to be able to find them and catch them.
Some fish can be trained, or even train themselves. My betta tank is on a worktop in the kitchen. To the left of the tank is a tissue box, and to the left of that is the food tub. Above the food tub is the wall cupboard with the biscuit box and husband's chocolate. All my bettas have known where I keep the food tub, and whenever I reached for it they became excited. But this training/intelligence also has its limits because they also became excited when ever my husband got his chocolate or the biscuits out of the wall cupboard because they were in the same direction as the fish food  ::)

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Snails (1) - Slender Harlequin (15) - Peacock Goby (4) - Otocinclus (5) - Pygmy Cory (3) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Japonica Shrimp (80) - Snails (5) - Neon Tetra (18) - Honey Gourami (1) -

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
I used to feed my goldfish frozen food, until he was gravely ill / almost at death's door one time and the only reason I could put it down to was the frozen food; anyway, I never fed it to him again. Several years later, he heard the sound of a blister pack opening and went into a frenzy of excitement, presumably remembering it as the sound the frozen food blister pack made. Poor lad, as it was simply a paracetamol tablet I was retrieving for myself. For that reason, I strongly believe goldfish's memories are far longer than even the 3 months which I've read mentioned as well.

I love the story about Sue and her son swapping their clothes to see how the betta reacted... A little hunt on the forum might find that one.

X-ray Tetra (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Blue Tetra (1) - Ember Tetra (1) - Golden Pencilfish (2) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Lampeye Panchax (1) -

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
My remaining Platy is still net dodging, lol...  the little tinker...!!!  I would swear he knows that the day is coming where I would take him out in order to allow the Espei Rasboras in...!!!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:46:04 PM »
I love the story about Sue and her son swapping their clothes to see how the betta reacted... A little hunt on the forum might find that one.

My first betta used to flare at my son, who was in his 20s at that time. The betta only flared at him, no-one else. My son swore he had done nothing to upset the betta. From the tank position in the kitchen the betta could see the back door, and I can only assume it was the outside light, triggered by IR, that turned on as my son returned from an evening out that alerted the betta because the betta would be waiting in the corner of the tank nearest the door and flaring as son came in.
We finally worked out what it was. The betta hated black. My son was going through a phase of wearing nothing but black clothes. To prove my hypothesis, I took some washing out of the ironing basket and I put on his black shirt and he put on my brightly coloured blouse. The betta then flared at me and ignored my son.

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Snails (1) - Slender Harlequin (15) - Peacock Goby (4) - Otocinclus (5) - Pygmy Cory (3) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Japonica Shrimp (80) - Snails (5) - Neon Tetra (18) - Honey Gourami (1) -

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
I agree with @fcmf ...  That's a great story...   :D

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: