Latest Additions

Author Topic: Latest additions  (Read 4629 times) 13 replies

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Latest additions
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Went to MA this afternoon and picked up a pair of Honey Gourami to add to the Tetras and Endlers in my tank.

One's golden, the other is sort of a dull grey with a stripe - I'm assuming it's a female?

Anyway, I know how much you all like pics so here they are.  Hopefully I'll get better pics when they get a bit braver...

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Latest additions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »
The top one (grey with a dark stripe) looks like a female of the natural colour. The bottom looks like a red honey gourami (possibly a red robin) and it is much harder to tell with them as males and females look alike. You have to go by fin shape with this variety. In the pic, its fins look quite rounded at the edges which indicates female.

It is  much easier to tell the sexes with the natural and yellow colours.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
Ah, thanks Sue.  I spent quite a while in front of the MA tank looking for differences and couldn't spot anything significant in the shape of the fins etc in any of their fish, only the colour.  I don't suppose it matters as I'm not trying to breed them, just have happy tankmates - which they seem to be so far. 
Very timid though and at the moment they spend a lot of time exploring the plants at the back, only coming forward to see what's going on now and then.
I love the way they spread their feelers forward to sense things they get close to.   ;D

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
Well, after watching these fellas on and off for most of the day I'm coming to believe that the brighter of the two may indeed be male.  There's a definite light trim to the edges of the anal fins. (Or am I seeing things - what do you think?)

EDIT.  Also, if you look at the dorsal fin in the pic above, it looks like it's more "sticking up and pointy" than the female's which I've read elsewhere is another indicator.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
The problem with the red/red robin honey gouramis is that they don't have definite colour differences like the other colour variations do, like the black throat. All you can do is wait and watch them I'm afraid.

Now if the suspected male had been a wild coloured or a yellow, that would have been different. I've had both of those so I'm familiar with them.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
And more...

My son and his girlfriend came round the weekend with 7 baby guppies for me.  Luckily I'd been setting up the 12L tank so they're housed in there for now until they're big enough to determine their sexes. 

I'm pretty sure that the largest 4 at least are females so the last thing I wanted was to put them in the main tank with 3 randy male Endlers...

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
Very wise decision. You would very soon have female guppy fry carrying endler sperm, then when they get old enough.........

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
Hi Ken,

Your gouramis look like.....well..a couple of honeys :) They're really pretty, I love the shape of gouramis.
How are your baby guppies doing? Do you know yet how many male/female ones you have? Will you keep them all, but in seperate tanks or will your son have some back?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
Hi Resa,  nice to see you back. :)

So many fish, so little tank space...  How on earth do you decide what to get, eh?

Re the guppies, so far I've got 4 that are about Endler size and looking to be all females as far as I  can tell (unless they develop later?)  There's also 3 minis that are more like large tadpoles at the moment and impossible to tell what they'll become.  I've left those in the main tank for  now as I don't think there's much chance of Endler attention in their direction yet - but I'm keeping a close eye on things.

I'm pretty sure that Son's girlfriend will have the females back and I'll either swap for some of their baby males when we know which is which, or buy some from the LFS to replace them - MA have got some real beauties at the moment. 
Of course, that will leave me with a 12L needing populating... ;)

Speaking of which, I got a new LED light for that from Ebay the other day... :)

Second pic shows my new setup but without the new light.  The 12L stand is actually 2 nested tables, one cut down for height, and cost me the grand sum of £8 from a charity shop.

Cheers,

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
Tried to grab a few pictures of the 4 females(?)...

There's one that might possibly be a male (pic #5) but that might just be poo...

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:46:44 PM »
And the tadpoles...

Second pic, Endlers to the left, Guppies to the right please...

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
Aaah....thanks Ken, it's nice to be back :)
Honestly, the broadband here is bad enough without the livebox getting cooked each time we have a storm! It was a good one though and we took a direct overhead hit....hubby even got a belt in his tummy 'cos he had his laptop on his....well.. lap! Don't quite know how that works, but there you are :-\
Unfortunately, unlike the UK, where everything is available immediately, here in France you have to wait for EVERYTHING! So, each time, a new box takes about a week and comes through the post. You can go to the phone shop but they don't keep anything in stock???

Anyway, here I am back.....but very sad to see that ColinB has left the forum...I hope he decides to come back :(

It's so-ooo difficult, isn't it, to decide on what fishies to get? Like you say...not enough tank space! At least you have got your 12L to find little residents for...how exciting! Have you got any thoughts on that yet?

I love your little endlers, I had only seen pics of them until last week when I went in to my LFS and they had some. They are so vibrant, aren't they? The ones they had were sort of green and red.
What a good idea for a stand, those nests of tables are usually really robust....I LOVE up-cycling things!

It's so funny seeing the endlers and guppies in their right places...that'll be your army training coming out then? ;) Do they have to make sure that their fins are very shiny too? ;D

I wasn't sure if maybe the little guppy in picture 3 (I think) is maybe a little chap too?

Keep posting pics, won't you? I love to see them. I must have another go with mine...but I can't seem to get them to load properly lately ???

Nice speaking to you again...

Resa
 :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Be very careful of keeping fry in with males. It is possible for female fry to be impregnated very young. Because these fish store sperm internally, they will just store it till they are mature enough to produce eggs.

I am more used to endlers but the process is the same with guppies. With male fry, they look female till they reach puberty, ie they have normal, fan shaped anal fins. At puberty, the front ray of the anal fin starts to elongate, then the rest of the fin shrinks until it turns into a gonopdium. Separate the male fry as soon as the front ray begins to change shape, before they become functional males.

Endlers are a bit easier because females never have any colour on them, not even the endler-guppy hybrids sold in shops as endlers. If they develop even a speck of colour you know they are males even before the gonopodium starts to form . Female guppies, on the other hand, do have coloured tails so that method can't be used.

When these fry are in their proper homes, be very careful putting fish in a 12 litre tank. That's only ~3 galls. You might get away with a betta (siamese fighting fish) but nothing else.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
LOL Resa - left right left right...

Thanks Sue.  I'll certainly keep a close eye on things and as soon as the minis are a bit bigger - off to the small tank they go.  I didn't want to put them in straight away in case the water params weren't quite right.  Smaller = less robust I expect?  They're getting to be nearly as big as the Endlers now though so it won't be long.

EDIT:  Done.  All 7 in the 12L until I can sort out who's who and what's what. ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Latest additions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
by chris213
5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:08:33 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 08:36:54 PM
by Helen
5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 05:34:59 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 04:42:44 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: