How Did You Get Started In The Fishkeeping Hobby?

Author Topic: How did you get started in the fishkeeping hobby?  (Read 5462 times) 22 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
How did you get started in the fishkeeping hobby?
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I thought it might be interesting to hear from members how they got into fishkeeping  :fishy1:

I know my story will probably be a fairly common one but I started with pestering my parents as a kid to have a pet and eventually they let me have 2 goldfish in a small unfiltered tank. This soon got upgraded to a larger filtered tank but I'm afraid that doesn't necessarily mean I became a wiser fishkeeper.... in fact I was on an all out war with dirt, including what I believed to be dirt in the filter sponge.  :-[ Thoroughly squeezing it in scolding water each water change. Despite losing a few fancy goldfish species along the way, one old faithful fish has made it with me to this day and still lives at my parents house.

I had a break from fishkeeping whilst I was at university and for a few years following that. But eventually as a married man complete with mortgage etc. me and my wife decided we would like to have a tropical tank. I started with a fish in cycle with some plants which was poorly managed at first but realising something was not quite as it should be I started researching stuff on the internet and came across this forum... what a better fishkeeper it has made me!!  :cheers:

I must admit that I am still amazed by the simplicity and practicality of the siphon tube.  A revelation since my early days of putting the fish in the sink to clean out the tank every other week!!

Im now fascinated by the flora and fauna of the aquarium world. Id love to have the time money and space to become an aquascaper. I prefer the smaller fish species and like a tank to be full of different behaviours of fish. I have a 64ltr planted community tank and plans to upgrade the tank in due course. :D

Anyone else had a similar experience? Or perhaps your entry to the hobby was somewhat different?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: How did you get started in the fishkeeping hobby?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 10:15:30 PM »
Back 20 years ago my then teenaged sons arrived home from the fair with 4 goldfish in tiny bags. These poor fish spent their first night in undechorinated water in a mixing bowl, though one didn't make it through the night. After a few days in some hurriedly purchased 'critter keepers' we got a 60 litre tank. These fairground goldfish got so big that 9 months later we gave them away to someone with a pond and I got a heater.

We did not have an internet connection back then so my only source of information was the library, and some very out of date books. Once we had broadband (after several years of dial up) I started researching and discovered all those things I'd been doing wrong because of those out-dated books. I joined 2 forums 11 years ago to ask questions and learn from the members.

After many years with synthetic plants, I was inspired by photos of planted tanks on the forum and tried my hand yet again at live plants - and this time found some that could survive my attempts. I still don't have those plants that root in the substrate but at least I do now have some proper plants in my tanks.

I've had a few disasters. On two occasions in pre-internet days every fish in my tank died overnight, probably because the tank was very overstocked and I didn't do enough water changes. I had a pH crash, and the advisor who used to be on here (before the site had to change hosts) said it was my low KH. That's when I realised I needed to do more water changes (those library books said once a month was enough  :o ). And most recently, the tank got infected with a very nasty strain of whitespot. Most of my fish were wiped out by that or the prolonged treatment, and after 3 months with no fish I started again.
Hopefully, my tank will remain trouble free for a while yet  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »
As a child my brother had a lot of allergies, so the only pets we could have were aquatic. Fun fair goldfish eventually gave way to my brother getting a terrapin.
When my brother left home I was allowed a rabbit in the garden.
When I bought my own place one of the first things I did was head to the rescue centre, and came home with two cats who had been at the centre for 3 years. They were with me for a long time.
After moving from Cardiff to Newmarket, then Cambridge, I was in my current home, which is rented and has a no pets policy. Approximately 2 years ago someone suggested that I would enjoy having a pet, and that perhaps fish would be allowed. I contacted my landlords to ask permission, they agreed, and not knowing any better I headed to Pets@Home to buy a started tank. I used this site as a guest to read up on fishless cycling, and it has escalated from there.
I started with small tanks, plastic decor, and quite frankly bugger all knowledge. I now have larger tanks, and enjoy researching the requirements of fish, plants, etc.
I have found the wonderful world of aquatics quite addictive, as several of you may have noticed.  ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
Around a year and three months ago my daughter won a goldfish on hook a duck at the Morpeth fair.  My wife and I couldn't refuse her puppy dog look (suckers!).  So we took the fish home in its little carry box.  We'd never kept fish before but knew that a tiny carry tank wouldn't be good for a goldfish.  On the same day we went out and got a 60 l aquarium kit.  We knew nothing of cycling and the man in the shop recommended using water conditioners that neutralised ammonia, nitrites etc.  It was very much a case of fish in tank, fingers crossed.  It all turned out well for the fish though.  My daughter lost interest in fishkeeping but mine grew and I devoured fish info like a black hole.

Right from the start I decided that live plants is where it's at for me.  The next two tanks arrived at the same time about 4 - 5 months later and were aquascaped based on what I'd learnt.  I like to make hypothetical tank setups so had some ideas ready.

Like Littlefish I was hooked (fish puns, woot!) and now have 5 tanks in the house with strict instructions of no new tanks until we get a bigger house.  My ideal goal in the hobby is to own a fish room and breed rarer apistos, betta (not the splendens type), and rainbowfish.  Sadly I'm a far away from reaching that right now which is OK as I still have much to learn.  Until then the made up tank setups in my head will have to do.  :)

Offline kdt1

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
I got my first tank about 40 years ago, knew nothing about it cold water plastic under gravel filter light in the cover, put some water in got some fish put them in and hoped for the best, never did water changes test or anything else, later added a heater and got tropical, kept for a couple of years but as I was renting and moving a lot gave it up, this year retired and thought I would start again, 5 foot tank internal and external filter, 2 heaters and a chiller, planted test kit syphon for water changes, dread to think what my fish used to have put up with, but all look happy now.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
I thought goldfish might be the entry point into the hobby for a lot of people!  :cheers:

I think these stories show how the hobby has developed over the years as well.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
I thought goldfish might be the entry point into the hobby for a lot of people!  :cheers:
...and for me too. I have a huge soft spot for goldfish as they have so much personality. I became very attached to my goldfish (two in particular, kept in separate tanks, one of whom I had for many years) - but, following the heartbreak of losing them, I felt it would be "unfaithful" to get another and couldn't face a broken heart again and so decided to keep a different type of pet. Tropical fishkeeping seemed the best option and it was only then that I discovered fish forums and learned a lot more than I'd ever known in my many years of goldfish keeping. Unfortunately, I only have space for one tank although like to think of everyone else's tanks as my "virtual" additional tanks.  :fishy1:

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:07:36 PM »
@fcmf Your nieces and nephews in my tanks say Hi  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »
@fcmf Your nieces and nephews in my tanks say Hi  :cheers:

Lol, that's so cute.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
Yes, I liked it too - put a big grin on my face, @Andy The Minion; thanks.  ;D

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 08:39:04 AM »
@fcmf Look! I told them their Auntie was visiting and they are all excited because they think you will bring them a flake  :wave:
#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

Now a link to Youtube and added a backing track @fcmf let me know if its any better than the cutdown version please

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
Look! I told them their Auntie was visiting and they are all excited because they think you will bring them a flake  :wave:
A flake - if I were visiting, I'd no doubt spoil them and give them a lot more than just the 1 flake.  :fishy1:

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
@fcmf Could you see the video? I looked at it after posting, it was a download rather than an embedded file and it still wouldn't play.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
I tried it on my phone and the tablet, each to no avail, but saw it (a clip of a few seconds) successfully on the laptop, thanks. :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 01:26:20 PM »
@Robert Do you have any idea if it is possible to get the site to support anything other than mpeg2 files or is the back office just too old now?

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »
I'll take a look but I'm thinking not...

The best way is to set up a YouTube account, upload the video and embed the code in here using the option provided.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have edited post #11 and it is now a YouTube link of the full res vid. Somebody let me know if its visible please.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
Working now @Andy The Minion  :wave:

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
Just seen this topic and thought it might be a good place to try this out.
I have decided to start a blog on my Tropical fish journey This will be my first instalment what do you all think, please. I am a total novice and this is going to be new to me as well so thoughts would be very much appreciated.Thank You, Bx
                                                      :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:
What is this all about you may ask. WELL !!!

As a child at home, we had Goldfish and budgies ( I DO NOT like birds), when I say 'we' my other brother's and sister's did not me, but for some reason, it was always me that did the caring and cleaning of them yes a few budgies escaped but I promise (cross my heart) not on purpose.
I always liked the fish the best and frequently thought about taking the next step up to having tropical fish. Since then (38 Years) I got married had two wonderful boys and now have 4 &1/2 Grandchildren the half one being due in January, along with 5 Step-Grandchildren plus our lovely Jack Russell Max. We have had other animals over the years Cats (which I found I was allergic to so they had to go) an assortment of dogs, rabbits, and even some goldfish.
 After all, these years there is just my husband Alan our dog Max and myself at home with the occasional grandchild/children stopping over.

We both have other hobbies Alan loves computers and electronics and he is currently into 3D printing, a 5-hour print is whirring away in the background as I type. A new part for a new kit he is building which will take his 3D printers up to 3 plus his little pen one.

Me well I have always been a must be doing something person,  knitting, sewing, baking,  candle making, card making, jewellery making, beadwork which is my favorite. Unfortunately due to an extremely painful tennis elbow (my right side which is my dominant side) I have had a year now of not being able to do any of these things. So having a lot more time on my hands I have had time to look at what I do and think things out. After visiting a local pet store with a friend and seeing some fantastic fish and tanks it got my interest going again, I had a chat with hubby and we decided to go for it.

I have never blogged before but thought it would be a nice idea to write down everything I do, then Alan suggested I did a blog then others can possible either benefit from my journey or have a good laugh at all the mistakes I get up to.

So my tropical fish journey will start in the next post.
Hope you enjoy it.  Bx

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »
I agree with your other half. Not only will you enjoy keeping a record of your journey into keeping fish, but others can learn from it. Anything that gets the message out to people, noting what has been done correctly, what mistakes have been made (we all made them), what has worked for you with your water conditions, and what hasn't worked for you, could only be a good thing.
Go for it.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How did you get started in the fishkeeping hobby?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 01:45:59 AM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 09:17:18 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 09:35:53 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
by Robert
21 Replies
Last post January 23, 2020, 09:24:05 PM
by LeakysLab
1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 09:57:18 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: