Author Topic: What is in your fishtank cupboard?  (Read 5021 times) 29 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: What is in your fishtank cupboard?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 06:00:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Omg  :rotfl: I have been informed by the wife tho they are not stockings but tights. ( looking for red faced emoticon)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 06:25:08 AM »
Whatever works for you in this warm weather.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
I have just sorted my cupboard.
Left side:
dechlorinator, food, pestle & mortar for grinding up food, bottle ammonia, unopened eSHa Exit (expiry Sept 2019), part used bottle eSHa 2000, envelope containing instruction leaflets, water change cloths, box containing 125 w Jager heater, box containing 25 w Newa heater (which failed to heat the betta's tank higher than 23 deg), thermometer - a foot long one for checking the temp of buckets of water. Large yogurt pot holding scissors, thread, toothbrushes, teaspoon, tweezers. Stacking baskets containing spare timer, alder cones, sealant, plants labels, net bag for carbon, small LED for quarantine/hospital tank, pill boxes, pipettes, syringes, measuring spoon, measuring cups from old med bottles, terracotta plant weights, assorted plastic tubs
Right side:
test kit, old fluorescent light controller in box, Aqua Internal 50 filter in box, Interpet IPF mini filter in box, bag carbon, Aquaball 2206 filter in box, Aquaball 2208 filter in box, loose pump for Biopower 2413 filter which I need to check to see if it works, Eheim filter boxes containing various spare baskets and filter media and impellers, plastic box containing spare suckers for Eheim equipment and old suckerless heater brackets, bag of net fabric.
Behind cupboard;
Box containing 450 mm LED light (from the old 50litre tank - I put the fluorescent light back when sold it)
Fridge:
current bottle plant fertiliser
Freezer:
fish food, rest of large bottle of plant fertiliser
Under kitchen worktop:
refilling bucket with jug and home made colander
On top of spare bedroom wardrobe:
Boxes that the LED lights came in containing the T8 tubes they replaced

Greenhouse:
2 sets of water change buckets and siphons
2 boxes containing old plastic plants, silk plants, plastic decor, terracotta plant pots, knee high socks etc.
Old bucket with gravel that used to be in tanks
Old bucket containing Limpopo sand that turned out to fizz when tested with vinegar so never used
Old kitchen bin containing nets and long handled algae scraper
2 x 25 litre tanks, lids and foam for under tanks
Pair very long pond gloves that I can't use for cleaning tank because I can't feel anything through them
Old margarine tub for euthanasing fish with small screw top bottle and bottle clove oil.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »
Interested that you keep your plant fertiliser in the fridge - does it recommend to do so on the bottle?

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 07:20:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
My fertiliser is Seachem Flourish (comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium). The last sentence in the directions says "Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required"

A tip I picked up a while ago for those with only lightly planted tanks is to divide the bottle into several smaller containers, and put all but one in the freezer. Keep one in the fridge for current use, then when that runs out thaw out one of the bottles from the freezer and keep that in the fridge.

Apparently, not only can the liquid go off but it can also grow mould as it ages at room temperature.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
I have seen mine where towards the end of the bottle some of the compounds have separated out... might give this a go!

PS. I'm using The Aquascaper Complete Liquid Plant Food... ill check the bottle later...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 07:25:48 PM »
A very cost effective approach Sue.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »
My fertiliser is Seachem Flourish (comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium). The last sentence in the directions says "Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required"
Our fertilisers may have been bought at different times (mine expires in 08/20) but, interestingly, mine says "Refrigeration is recommended 3 months after opening".

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 11:22:59 PM »
Nothing on the bottle or packet about putting in the fridge or freezer. Still sounds sensible to me though. I'm going to try see if some old soap dispensers will give me roughly a daily dose amount per pump so I can use that as each day instead of pouring it out of the bottle into the lid then using a syringe then tipping it back etc...that can then be the 'active' bottle and the rest can go in the freezer.

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
When I got my most recent bottle of Flourish I split it into 3. One third stayed in its bottle - that one is still in the freezer. The second third went into a washed, old Flourish bottle. That too went in the freezer and is now the one in the fridge. The third third went into an old dechlorinator bottle; this was finished a while ago and the bottle washed ready for next time.
The older bottle in the fridge is the one I quoted a few posts ago; I have just looked and it has no use by date on the bottle. The one in freezer is a different design, bears the use by 10/19, and also says it is recommended to refrigerate 3 months after opening.

Because I have only slow growing plants I do not use as much as those of you with densely planted tanks. The freezing advice I read was aimed at people like me rather than those that use a whole bottle in a few months  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What is in your fishtank cupboard?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
by bferg4
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2017, 09:25:56 PM
by MarquisMirage
29 Replies
Last post February 16, 2017, 02:17:15 PM
by Gazzariff
5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 08:47:56 PM
by Rustle
19 Replies
Last post April 08, 2018, 11:51:32 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post December 12, 2023, 09:12:33 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: