Getting Ready For The Clowns! [some Missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Getting ready for the clowns! [some missing posts in thread]  (Read 6394 times) 29 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Getting ready for the clowns!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 03:50:36 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Given the price of play sand it might be worth swapping it out for peace of mind... bith from a bacterial and a sharpness point of view. How are the cories barbells?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 10:34:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
So sorry to hear that one of your clown loaches has passed.  :(

I'm not sure that I would treat with medication unless there is a sign of disease, but I don't have any experience withe clown loaches specifically, so perhaps one of the others would be able to offer better advice.

As for pecking order disputes contributing to the death of your clown, I guess it would depend on how rough the fighting is. With my fish I would say yes in the case of the tiger barbs, but no with regards to the panda garras, which bicker rather than fight.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
Very sorry to read about this. I've had no personal experience with clown loaches so unfortunately can't comment on their behaviour. However, all species are certainly capable of fighting (and this may include to the point of a fatal injury or stress-induced death), and indeed my male x-ray tetras have acquired a lot of injuries over the years through their frequent spats (eg their longstanding eye injuries, marks on their spine which do heal), and rogue individuals exist even in the most timid and peaceful of species.

I agree that there is no need to do a treatment. If there were a sign of finrot, fungus or other infection pre-death (some of these can occur post-mortem), then yes. However, for parasites, eSHa 2000 wouldn't be the treatment of choice. Also, without anything to pinpoint what was wrong and therefore which treatment would be required, treatment is rather pointless and more likely to cause undue stress and further problems if not actually required. Additionally, unless you had a hospital tank to move the fish too, you'd be risking disrupting the cycle in the quarantine tank - a risk that is far greater than the very small (if any) benefit of treatment in this case.

Hope that helps.

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »
Internal parasites:

Round worms such as camallanus worms - eSHa-ndx
Flat worms such as tapeworms - eSHa gdex
Protozoan - the most effective treatment is metronidazole which is prescription only in the UK.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »
Best of luck with your clowns.
Sometimes the little smaller ones of any species can be quite feisty (I'm 4ft 11  :rotfl: )
I went for a drive around a few LFS in my new area on the weekend. One had a display tank that included a group of clown loaches. I have to say that they were big fish, with one being particularly huge. They had such stunning colours & markings. Very impressive.  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »
There's a lot to be said for RO. Some of my tanks are a mix of RO/tap due to the hardness of the tap water. I get my RO from the LFS, but struggle to shift it from the boot of the car into the house, and can often be heard mumbling expletives under my breath.  :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 05:03:41 PM »
I often get water ready the night before because I run the water through a nitrate filter, which slows the whole process. I also have several large tanks, so am getting back into the routine of doing one a night during the week, so I don't have to do them all on the weekend.

If I wasn't renting I think I'd look at getting an RO unit, so I'll be interested to hear what sort of units you look at.

It's amazing that so much information is picked up without realising when you start learning about fish, water parameters, nitrogen cycle, etc. Learning anything new is always an exciting challenge.  :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »
There's a lot to be said for RO.

Hi @Littlefish

Yes, using remineralized RO is what I've been doing for about ten years. I prefer doing this because I then know what's in the water. If anyone decides to go for this option, I can advise on remineralizing products/DIY. Also, the additional option of RO/DI water. But, you are correct, Littlefish, in saying that lugging the stuff around is not something that should be taken lightly (pun intended).

JPC

EDIT: I used to have my own RO unit but the throughput was far too low. And, if you're on a water meter as I am now, it could prove expensive as the process of producing RO water is not particularly efficient. I can't remember the exact figure but it has to be taken into account.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 06:46:49 PM »
It's amazing that so much information is picked up without realising when you start learning about fish, water parameters, nitrogen cycle, etc. Learning anything new is always an exciting challenge.  :)

Hi @Littlefish

And that last sentence says it all for me. The day that I stop learning about things that interest me is not something that I can envisage happening. Long may it stay like that!

JPC  :isay:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 05:56:48 PM »
[Some posts missing in this thread as, regrettably for us given that she was a valued member, former member Fishtales left the forum and deleted most of her posts and edited the initial post.]

Tags: amz50 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Getting ready for the clowns! [some missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
by fcmf
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 06:56:16 PM
by jaypeecee
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: