Future Fish For A Tank

Author Topic: Future fish for a tank  (Read 10198 times) 47 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Future fish for a tank
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Now that I have an empty and fully cycled tank, I am giving some thought about what to restock with in a few months. There are just so many fish to choose from.

So I am throwing the question open to give me some ideas  :)

Tank - 107 x 45 x 45 cm. Allowing for space above the water, substrate, decor etc, I measured the water in when I bought it at 188 litres.

Filter - two Eheim Biopowers, a 240 (2413) and a 180 (2411). This does create a bit of water flow so the tank is not for fish that like calm water.

Water - pH about 7.5. It's in the overlap region between the normal and high range API pH testers. GH 4.76 German deg/85 ppm. KH 3 German deg/54 ppm. Tap water nitrate between the 0 and 5 ppm colours.

Decor - lots of wood with java fern, anubias and bolbitis attached. Sand substrate.

I prefer few shoals with larger number per shoal, and maybe a species of non-shoaling fish.

If this was your tank, what would you do with it ?

This is a golden opportunity for those of you with hard water under the provisions of the Tank Twinning Initiative!!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Future fish
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Off the top of my head, if it were my tank, I would keep the following:

• 25 Cardinal Tetras
  • 3 Apistogrammas (probably Aggassiz's Fire Red as they are so attractive) 1 male and 2 females.
  • 12 small Corys (Pandas or similar)
  • 8 Rosy Barbs

This would put the tank at approx 90% stocked.

I'd love to have a tank this size!  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Among the fish I've just lost/put down were those apistos, they were lovely fish. And I also like all the Parachierodon species - I had green neons as well.
Hmm, panda cories, there's a suggestion! And I'm off to look up rosy barbs......

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
Panda cories do indeed look great in large numbers, like they're working together.

I also like the apistos and also rams (eg Bolivian rams). [The pic of the butterfly cichlid ram is lovely on the Fish Profiles but I think if I were you, in light of your experience, I'd be constantly checking out their patterning to make sure that the markings weren't whitespot.]

Lemon tetras, rummynose tetras and harlequin rasboras seem to put on a particularly impressive show in their shoaling behaviour, but you'll know better than me whether these are suitable for your water flow.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
I can vouch for harlequins, by far the most unexpected as far as me not knowing if they would look as good as neons or other tetras... They look amazing when they school together and I only have eight. Suffice to say I want to at least double this shoal.

They don't have a problem with filter flow either. Mine is more than substantial...

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
Hello Sue,

I am really sorry to hear of your current problems, I am sure you will come out on the other side perfectly OK!

Your water is virtually identical to mine. In the 125L the following fish have thrived:

Neons, Embers, Glowlight Danios.

The danios have proven to be too boisterous for my previously "calm" tank, and I regard their addition as a mistake. I have only lost 1 tetra out of the 20 added up to 15 months ago.

Also, I have 10 Amano Shrimp, which do a wonderful job keeping hair algae under control.

The fish which did not thrive were Panda Cories (two batches from different LFS's) and Otocinclus. My tank has very small rounded gravel. I don't think that this was the problem for the Panda's. When the Otos were added, there was a lot of green and brown algae in the tank, which they loved!  I believe that the problem for both these fish was pH. At cycling, my pH was 7.4, but increased to 7.6 shortly afterwards. A pH of 7.4 seems to be the upper limit for both these fish on the other sites that I respect and use. All the other inhabitants have continued to thrive.

Hope this helps,

Skittler

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »
Wow lots of suggestions already whilst I was working out my suggestions, these were are:

Macmaster 's Dwarf Cichlid x6
Rummy Nose Tetra x15
Cardinal Tetra x15
Otocinclus x10
Five band Barb x10
Marbled Hatchetfish x10
Panda Cory x10

As you may recall, I am in the camp minimum numbers of lots of species so this involved some difficult decisions for me!  This represents 85% stocking, so young I quod probably increase numbers further - I'm not sure how surface dwellers feature in your plans so the hatchetfish may be out...

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:14:20 AM »
I'd choose to keep only fish in related groups tetras OR small cyprinids. I'm also becoming more convinced that the "cheap and cheerful" fish are the best choice, they are usually robust, which is why they are cheap. For cyprinids, I'd have one of the Harlequin group, Cherry barbs, a danio (zebras are as good as any), Odessa barbs and/or Five banded, each in a decent sized group. For tetras, I really like Lemons, also Silver tips and both are cheap and very tough, but the choice is wide. If I  had tetras, I'd probably have a Corydoras species as well, but the barbs do a good job as bottom feeders. I think it's a good idea to keep fish from the same general part of the world together.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »
I agree with Richard..... keep to similar areas. Either a S.American tank or an Asian tank, and decide how peaceful you would like it to be. I love Ruby Barbs and Gouramies, but the Rubies are too boisterous for the Gouramies etc etc.

So..... I'd go for a Ruby Barb, Tiger Barb, Golden Barb tank; or a 5-band, Cherry, Chequered, Harlequin tank.

....or perhaps a Rummynose, Cardinal, Rosy Tetra, Cory and Oto tank.

mmmm - on the other hand, perhaps a Ram,............................ *sigh*

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »
Platinum tetras at least 20. I'd love to keep them but my water is far too hard, a shoal of those and cardinal tetras would look amazing. Corydoras Sterbai too, just because they're beautiful. Ummm and rams because I'd love to own a pair but have the same problem with hard water.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »
I should have listed the fish I don't want, it is very short.

Emperor tetras - I had some and traded them in for other fish. They were aquatic locusts.
Gouramis, because the filter flow is a bit strong for them
Hatchet fish, because the tank lid overlaps the water an inch or two and I'd never see them
Fish too small for my husband to see  ::) (ie most of the fish I used to have in the 125 litre tank)
Anything that would eat nerite snails.
Anything very expensive eg some L number plecs and dwarf chain loaches (they shot up in price after I got mine)

And I intend to get the fish from Maidenhead Aquatics, the one at Stokesley, north Yorkshire, inside Strikes garden centre.

My thoughts have been veering towards the same as Richard and Colin - fish from the same general area of the world. So tetras and cories - but which ones? Or barbs (which ones?), harlies and kuhli loaches?

And is it a good idea to have cories and cichlids? I've never mixed those two before.

Maybe I should take a trip to MA and make a list of what they sell, it doesn't vary much. My husband likes going to garden centres so I could combine the two  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »
If you want bigger fish, then I'd be tempted to go for Ruby Barb, Odessa Barb, Golden Barb and, perhaps, Tiger Barb. They will all 'work' in your soft water with the added advantage of having a much cooler (therefore cheaper) tank. As there're a few different colourings of Tigers then a big shoal of a mix of the colours might be very attractive. Rubies hang around the bottom of the tank. Zebra loaches are different to the stripy Barb theme and SeriouslyFish has them at a cooler temp than ThinkFish. Just a thought.

Put hubby in the creche at the garden centre and spend a few hours in MA with a note book. (For the younger members amongst us, that's what we of a 'certain age' use to make notes with rather than tapping away at some new-fangled shiney thing. :) )

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
(For the younger members amongst us, that's what we of a 'certain age' use to make notes with rather than tapping away at some new-fangled shiney thing. :) )

I have a sort of new-fangled shiney thing as my son and daughter-in-law bought us a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I find it very difficult touching the correct spot on the screen and spend a lot of time going backwards. As for typing into it using that fiddly little keyboard, give me pen and paper every time. Reading books on it is fine but I can't see me ever using something that size for much else.

I've only just mastered the laptop  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
I should clarify the size issue.

In the 125 litre I had ember tetras (20 mm), green neon tetras (25 mm), Microdevario kubotai (20 mm) and he complained he couldn't see them. He was fine with emperor tetras, golden pencilfish and cherry barbs.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
I'd avoid Ruby and Tiger barbs. Although I started with 10 of each, the males constantly attacked each other once they became fully mature. Two of the Tigers died, their tails totally bitten off. The Ruby males always look tatty with parts of their tails and other fins nipped off.
I definitely prefer Odessa barbs, plan to get Five banded when I restock this autumn. Checkered are also nice and peaceful.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
I'd avoid Ruby and Tiger barbs. Although I started with 10 of each, the males constantly attacked each other once they became fully mature. Two of the Tigers died, their tails totally bitten off. The Ruby males always look tatty with parts of their tails and other fins nipped off.

Sad to hear, But good to know. I have 5-bands and Cherries..... both lovely. The 5-bands definitly prefered more than 6, and the Cherries like more females than males.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »
Cherry barbs were the first casualties of the whitespot infection, and I did like them. I had both natural coloured ones and albino ones - the males were orange and females yellow, both with red eyes. If I got them again I'd stick with one colour form as more of the same looks better in my eyes.

Has anyone kept harlequins with cherry barbs, and how did they get on? I know that the MA in question sells both these species, and Trigonostigma hengeli, copper/porkchop rasboras, as well.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 04:25:01 PM »
Those rasbora are very pretty.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »
Has anyone kept harlequins with cherry barbs, and how did they get on? I know that the MA in question sells both these species, and Trigonostigma hengeli, copper/porkchop rasboras, as well.

I am keeping them together with no problems Sue  :cheers:

I should clarify the size issue.

In the 125 litre I had ember tetras (20 mm), green neon tetras (25 mm), Microdevario kubotai (20 mm) and he complained he couldn't see them. He was fine with emperor tetras, golden pencilfish and cherry barbs.

Have you considered keeping angelfish? Very lovely to look at, I've been toying with putting angels and five band barbs into my second tank... But we've just booked a holiday so need to rein in the unnecessary expenditure  :vcross:

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Good to know about cherry barbs and harlies, thank you.

The tank isn't tall enough for angels. They need at least 45cm water and as my tank is that height, minus 1cm bottom glass, minus the substrate, minus the air gap on top of the water, I don't have enough water depth for them.

This tank is not as tall as 180 litres usually are. It is custom built so I could get one I could reach into without standing on a stool  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Future fish for a tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 04:27:24 PM
by Don
0 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 09:35:04 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:41:40 PM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: